Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Prozac?

I had my first meeting with a psychiatrist today, and he told me to try prozac. Apparently it helps with depression, anxiety, and ocd. Has anyone here ever tried prozac? I'm not too worried about it... he listed the side-effects for me and didn't mention vomiting. He did say it could cause a little nausea, though [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] He also said that it could take up to 6 months for it to take full effect! [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img] That's a long time to wait... but I think it'll be worth it.

I'm on the road to recovery!! (haha, I sound like I'm at an AA meeting or something) [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

<Zachary>
    <center><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Bach gave us God\'s word,
    Mozart gave us God\'s laughter,
    Beethoven gave us God\'s fire,
    God gave us music that we may pray without words.
    </center></font></font>

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">No the doctor suggested prozac for me but then decided to try another because the one I had been on before had a side effect that was...umm...lets say not a good deal for my husband.
    THis was going to take a few months to take effect as well but it is better than not trying anything. It seems to take effect in small ways here and there before then too. Things that you forgot bothered you. One day I had found I walked all the way to the store and got groceries with no panick. Then I had gone to a Christmas party before I knew I was actually eating before going out. They say it can cause a little nausea it is either sooo insignificant that you aren't even sure if it is nausea or you don't get it at all. They have to mention all side effects but unless you are super sensitve to meds when you take them that "CHANCE" of nausea is worth it. </TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hi Zachary

I have been on Prozac for years and it has kept me on a steady level. As soon as I stop taking it I just feel back into a deep depression. I have been prescribed this life long because it works so well for me. It does have a few side effects but rather those than deep depression. However, those side effects do not include v'ing. For the first few weeks when I started Prozac all I found was that I had a slightly poor appetite and I found it very hard to sleep but after about a month or so I was fine. Don't let that put you off cause it might not be like that for you. Everyone is different. I just know that it has helped me emensely and it is not addictive in any way which is good news. Hope that helps. Take care. Claire.

Hello Zachary...

I recently went to my physchiatrist 2 weeks ago &amp; he prescribed Prozac for me, So far so good, No bad side effects, actually No side effects, in fact im going to ask him to bump me up to 20 MG because I feel like It is helping my depression, but I think its just taking the edge off on 10 mg. I recomend it! Its supposed to help in time with OCD. We will see!

Take Care

i had a friend on prozac... she said she felt no nausea or nething like that... she just felt lke she was walking on clouds for a lot of the time.. spaced out i think she means...

so hopefully u wont get too much nausea.

as for the 6 month thing.. i was told 6 weeks it takes for anti-depressants to work... maybe prozac is differnt, i dont konw.

anyway, i hope prozac works for you, it is defenitely worthj the weight...

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes the first few days as jen said "walking on clouds", I was a lil sleepy,so comfortable just wanted to sit &amp; watch TV or nap, but after a few days I wasnt so sleepy after taking it.

I've just been prescribed prozac but I personally am too scared to take it. I am worried aboutt he side effets too but as everyone else has said, if there are any atal they are minimal and to be honest nothing we dont feel anyway in a panic attack! I personally am going to take them after I start CBT and get my phobia down a bit more so I wount be scared to take them. hmmmm. I persoanaly would take peoples advice and give it a go (dont be scared like me!)

Thanks everyone... I took my first pill today and was nearly worry-free about it! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I haven't really felt any different. Maybe a little more tired/relaxed, but not much. Thanks again, you all definitely helped calm my worries.

&lt;Zachary&gt;
    <center><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Bach gave us God\'s word,
    </center></font></font>

you'll be fine zachary ... thinking of you.

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im so proud of you!!!! You will do great on it!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">That is awsome. I hope that they work well for you. </TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I am on a French equilavlent to Prozac and all I can say is thank goodness for it!! It has helped my OCD and general anxiety so much!! I am so happy that there is a solution to anxiety disorders!

Good job Zach and I am sure you will find it to be very helpful....and as others were saying, it is not addictive!!

Kats, how long have you been taking your medication?

&lt;Zach&gt;
    </center></font></font>

Zachary,

Hi, I was sifting to old threads and found this one and it caught my eye.

How is the Prozac working for you?? Everything alright??

I just wanted to add that I have been on a high dosage of Prozac for almost over 2 years, and it's done wonders for my depression and anxiety. I hope it's doing wonders for you as well!!

Different anti-depressants work for different people and different people respond to different anti-deprssants. It was a trial and error process for me finding the right medicationand it took me forever to finally come across the right one! I hope this is working for you!! Have you seen any changes??

If you want to discuss anything or have any questions, feel free to ask!!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Neha,

Everything seems to be going well for now. I haven't had any bad side-effects, so that's a big "woo hoo!!" I think it's even helping my depression already. I missed a day of taking it recently, because I was down to my last 2 pills, and when I went to get them out, I dropped them both on the floor! So the rest of that day, and most of the next day (even though I got my prescription renewed, and took my dose the next day) I started feeling a lot like I used to. Very low energy, no interest in doing anything, just wanted to keep to myself. The depression had returned, and I had forgotten just how depressed I was! [img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img] But, all is good now. I think this is going to work wonders for me if I keep taking it. Thanks for asking [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

&lt;Zach&gt;
    </center></font></font>

I am so glad that it is working for you, and best of all that you have had no side effects! I'm still not taking my prozac, I'm doing some CBT first before I am calm enough to take them! I'm so glad everythings going so well! What a successs story!!

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]That's GREAT Zachary!!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Very happy to hear that you are responding that well to the Prozac and that it just might be your "wonder drug"!! I hope that it keeps working for you!!!!

And lucky you!! No badside-effects!!!! That IS a big woohoo!! Not many people (including myself) can say that!!

Good for you!!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

Izzy, I am hoping the CBT can help you reach the point where you need to be!! I'm in CBT too!
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!

Hey Zach!

Sorry I just read the whole thread and realised you had asked me a question! I have been taking the medication (french equivilent of Prozac) since last August, so nearing a year now. I honestly don't think I would be where I am today (at university) if I had not started taking it. Summer 2003 was awful.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Kats xxx

How long have u been doing CBT? I'm on a 6 week trial at the moment but even after the first session I'm starting to accept v*. I hope it will work for me without the prozac actually cause I am very scared of all the side effects etc etc. I hope things are going well in your CBT sessions

Hey Izzy,

I've actually been in therapy for almost5 years now. But the thing is, we haven't really doneJUST theCBT. Most of the sessions are used to help me deal with life in general and the pressures of college, school, and balancing it all with OCD, anxiety, etc. CBT does go into it, and so do many useful techniques, I'm just not sure if it is official CBT. I'll have to ask my therapist what exactly it is called we are doing. Maybe it's regular therapy mixed with CBT techniques to deal with the anxiety and OCD...I'm not too sure. All I know is that the arrangement I have now is really working well for me. I think it's really a mixture of regular therapy and CBT.

Anyway, I wish you all the best in therapy as well!! How is it working for you so far??
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!