Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hearing aid

I was born a premie, and because I was premature I was born with less than 10% hearing in my left ear. It gets annoying because ever since I can remember I always have to look at a person when they speak to me ( lip reading) and I'm always having to ask them to repeat themselves. i have no idea what It's like to have full hearing, and Im starting to consider the possibility of a hearing aid.

I am extreemly self conscious of people noticing for some reason, and I'm afraid of what people might think. I know it sounds vain but I just can't help it.

I do have glasses and don't mind wearing them for reading and such, so you would think this wouldn't bother me either, but it does for some reason.

my question to you all is, what would you think if you saw a young female with a hearing aid? would you label them as having some disability ( not that thats wrong). I guess I'm just looking for opinions.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

If it will help you hear, than I think the choice is an obvious one. Who cares what other people will think. If you get one, it's to benefit you, and you only. If someone thinks you have a "disability" then let them think that. It's no one's business but your own, and, frankly, if that's the reason that has stopped you from getting one, then, you are just being silly. Sorry for being harsh, but, it's a hearing aid, they come so small these days, you can't even see them, and if you do see it, so what, it's just like your glasses. Do yourself a favor, if you can afford to get one, do it, and start to enjoy hearing things in stereo!! Good luck, and keep us posted.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

you know it is up to you, but if will help and not harm you why
    not? Who cares what others say or think? That is something you
    just have to get over. I knew a really pretty girl in high school
    who had a hearing aid, and no one made fun of her.
    I love Sam
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Honestly?, I probably wouldn't even notice. I don't think it's a big deal at all. I don't know how you must feel, but I really don't think anyone would even notice. And it's easy for me to say who cares what others think, I would wear one if it meant being able to hear better and I would tell everyone who said something to me to f*** off!!

I was going to say what has already been said, they make them sooo small no one but you would probably even notice. As far as vanity goes, yeah it's just vanity but at the same time we are all guilty of it to some extent or another. I think if you are comfortable w/ it other people (if they even notice, which I doubt) will be comfortable w/ it. Plus being female there are sooo many hair options you could simply wear your hair down until you got comfy w/ the idea. What ever you decide, as long as you care comfortable and happy than who cares what anyone else thinks. Oh and if I saw a young woman w/ a hearing aide I would think nothing of it.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

thanks guys! that makes me feel better. I think anything that would make you look different might make you feel a little self conscious though, don't you think?I mean, even if you're the only one who notices it.

To meit wouldbe like walking out the door with a pimple you think is so huge that you think everyone can notice.

you guys are right though. why should I care what other think? I think once I get it and see how tiny it is, it won't bother me as much.

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

you go for it babydoll, screw anyone who says anything about it. And like simply said, they make them sooo small now anyway. I'm there with you, I was born blind in my left eye and have never known what it looks like to see with two eyes. I can't even imagine. But I bump into things a lot when I can't use my peripheral vision on that side, and I have some trouble driving because I can't check my blind spot. You can tell by looking at me that my left eye has something wrong...it's not always exactly aligned with my right one. But it tries, lol! Anyway, you do what makes you happy, not what makes everyone else happy.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Yeah go for it! Anyone who would make fun of someone else for having a hearing aid is a loser. I agree with what everyone already said. I knew a girl who was premature and she had to wear these really big coke bottle glasses. She was so self concious of them that she never would leave the house...seriously she never went anywhere. Anyway (I met this girl online first then in person) Before we met for the first time she told me about her glasses, and I said "So what?" growing up my dad always wore these big thick glasses (He got laser surgery so he doesn't need them any more but anyway) I always thought that someone wearing glasses was smart...it never occured to me to make fun of someone because of glasses, hearing aid, whatever. I think you should go for it!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!