Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This is a bit weird...I'd just eaten tea with my family, feeling totally normal. Then suddenly my Mum starts asking my Dad if he feels better - naturally my heart just started pounding at this. I had no idea he HADN'T been feeling well. He said it was nothing, just the area around where he had his gallbladder removed was aching, and he had this gnawing sort of hunger in his stomach. He then proceded to suggest that maybe he'd picked up some type of flu-ish virus, or something. This sent me into total panic - I tried to ignore it, but it had just escalated when I heard the word 'virus'. Started getting lightheaded, sweating, n*...then I was gone! Woke up on the kitchen floor with my dad pressing a wet cloth on my forehead. It was so scary, I was sure I was going to v* for a moment there. But funnily enough, I didn't really care, I just wanted to know what the heck was going on!

I never knew a simple panic attack could trigger something like that. At least, I assume that was the cause. I'd been feeling perfectly fine up until my Dad started talking about feeling unwell: that was when my heart started pounding. Maybe I hyperventilated or something. How weak of me [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]has this happened to anyone else? Fainting because of a panic attack, or something similar?

And a second question, to stopthis worrying about my dad - those of you who have had gallbladder operations, have you experienced any discomfort, months later? He says its not even there 80% of the time...butjust this week he's had it.I'm just so worried that there's been some complication, or that its something else.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I've had countless panic attacks in the pastbut only one has ever made me faint (quite embarassing as I was in a pub at the time and I think people thought I was blind drunk!). So in answer to your question, yes, a panic attack can cause you to pass out but don't worry that it's going to happen all the time, it's probably just a one off. I read somewhere that if you do start to feel faint wiggling your toes around can help - putting your head between your knees also helps but you don't always want to be seen doing this, lol!

Sorry I've had no experience with gall bladder ops so can't help on that one, but I'm sure somebody else will.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

People without their gallbladders have to watch what they eat or they will get sick. Spicy, fried, or other types of foods can make them sick. He was probably just having trouble with that.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

angel13,

I have also fainted before from panic. It is caused by the way you were breathing. A good way to avoid this is to make a conscious effort to close your mouth and breathe through your nose when you are having a panic attack. We can't breathe as fast through ours noses and it also helps calm you down.

I also had my gallbladder out 8 years ago. I have NEVER vomtied or felt nauseous after eating because of it, but I do frequently suffer from diarrhea when I eat high fat meals on an empty stomach and I do suffer from indigestion with the same symptoms your Dad had. It feels like a phantom gallbladder attack and can even reach the same intensity occasionally. I take Zantac here in Canada to get relief. I think the drug name is Ranitidine or something like that. I am positive he had indigestion. Please don't worry! I promise, he is fine! I love eating to deny myself the foods I love and I suffer the consequences after!

I hope this helps!

happyteacher

I have never actually fainted from a panic attack, but I know that sometimes, especially years ago, I used to hold my breath while I was having a panic attack. I don't know why. I didn't even know I was even doing it. Maybe you were holding your breath causing you to faint. Or, it was simple fear. It hit you so hard and so fast, sometimes the body can't handle it, and takes a small "break".

Hope you feel better!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

Thanks for that, guys!

Crystal - that's very true, I think I was probably holding my breath to try to steady my breathing, and as a result, blacked out! Its funny, because I didn't even think it was that bad at the time, until my eyes started to go out of focus. So it crept up on me a bit!

happyteacher - thanks so much for the gallbladder info! Its strange how it can still affect you, even though its not there. He seems allright today, so I suppose he will just have to be more careful with what he eats, if he wants to avoid the after effects.

Thanks again everyone

Ooo...that's so scary..once I had to do a presentation and my stupid partner ditched me...I have social anxiety so I had a panic attack in front of the class once. I was hyperventilating so badly, my body was numb, my eyesight wasblurryand I was getting so lightheaded. If my teacher hadn't let me sit down I think I would have fainted. I was gripping the desk and my knees were weak. I think a panic attack can have that effect sometimes. Hope you're alright! Edited by: wing
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Panic attacks are your body's "fight or flight" mechanism gone awry...Fainting is the ultimate "flight". You just keel over and you're no longer mentally in the situation!

I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago and I can feel sick from any food that has fat, spicey or to creamy. It is odd, but your gallbladder is a fat filter so to speak and when it is gone, there is no way for the fat to filter out, so it sort of spills inot your system and it makes you feel pretty sick. I have had to really watch what I eat and be careful or I can be in pretty bad shape.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

^ That's interesting, gubba. Even thoughyou don't need your gallbladder to live, I always thought having it removed must have some kind of effect on your system.