Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Do you find there are some days when you're really on edge? I've been worrying all week about the sv that is allegedly 'sweeping' through the UK. It doesn't seemto have reached here yet but when I picked my daughter up from school at lunch time (working at home today so thought it would reduce her risk of being exposed to anything - typical emet, eh?!) I could swear I smelt v* when the door was opened. This has sent me into a real panic. My daughter didn't mention anything, and I'm too afraid to ask, but I'm worried now that the bug has arrived.

My step-daughter has also been off school this week but I don't know why. All the kids stay over at their dad's on a Friday and I'm worrying that she has had a sv and my kids will get it...I'm trying to find a way of asking my husband without looking stupid - he was never very sympathetic to my emet and we don't really get on anymore since we split.

I'm holding out until half term, four more school days, but this smell of v* is just sending me over the edge.

Try to calm yourself down hun, I don't have kids but I understand how this feels. I'm always worrying when I'm around my little cousins etc. because I'm afraid they have something and I'll catch it. There's not really much
    I can say to help except you know we're here for you.
    *hugs*
    Hannah

Thanks Hannah, I am trying to block it out of my mind. I just want my kids to stay well because my sister is visiting tomorrow with her kids and I'd hate to risk the health of everyone. Both my sister and her daughter are emets too, so a v* and germ free house is a must this weekend!

Sorry you are having a bad week Suze.

I often think I can smell v* in my daughter's classroom, but she assures me nobody has been ill. I think it must be a schooly type of smell. It always worries me though.

I am afraid the bug has hit my daughter's school as her 2 classroom assistants have been off as well as several children in her class. The biggest tell tale sign was v* in the school driveway on Wednesday. I am so glad it is half term starting tomorrow.

I think your children will be fine. Try to relax and enjoy your time with your sister tomorrow.

Thanks Curly, I've just taken my daughter back and did a quick scan of all the kids when they were lined up - the vast majority were there. You've put my mind at ease that schools can smell sicky...i was watching the year 6 lot going in to dinner and none of them commented about a smell, which I imagine they would if there was one. Also, had my daughter seen a kid throw up, I'm sure she would have said.

What I hate about this phobia is how we blow everything out of proportion. As I walked through the playground I could see in the distance what looked like a pile of sawdust. I started to panic immediately. When I got closer I noticed it was gravel that had fallen out of a large bag that the gardener was using. Crazy eh?!

Anyway, thank goodness it's Friday. Hope your kids stay well!

Another thing....don't be suprised that there was some weird smells at you daughter's school....one of the things I remember about elementary school was that the cafeteria smelled like boiled sneakers, among other unpleasant smells, as well as occasionaly like v*. The smell could have been anything. Sweaty kids maybe? I don't know how old your daughter is but our old chem lab sometimes smelled like v* aswell. I guess v* smells like acid....acid in the chem lab...just a guess
    Cheers,
    Hannah

She's only 4, so no chemistry yet, lol!! I'm just trying to forget I smelt anything...could even have been something cheesy in the canteen!!

I definitely find that when I am stressed out from other aspects in life, I cannot at all handle my emet. Just try really hard to relax and not worry about it.
    \"This too shall pass\"