Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Sick Co Worker

Ok so I am totally freaking out here. A co-worker came up to me yesterday and said that she felt sick. Just to give a heads up I just started this job and I really like it, in fact this is my first week. I dont want anyone to know about my phobia because it is so embarrassing so yesterday when she told me she felt sick I totally freaked. My heart was racing and I started to feel nautious. Later in the day she said she v* 2 times and she was right in my face. She swears that it was the food she ate that morning but I always doubt people when they say that. I guess it's because I am so afraid of catching a sv that I always feel that is the only reason or cause for somone to get sick! I saw her this morning and I started feeling panicky. I have felt so weird that I wont use the restroom althoughI have to go (really bad), I wont use anything in the breakroom, I wont touch the doorhandles and it was hard for me to eat my lunch in fear that I had it and it is only a matter of time beforeI v*!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel likeI am trappedin here withno one to chill me out! What do I do.....and should I believe her thatit was only the food she ate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SIGH

First, you need to try and relax. Sometimes people say they v* and they don't, to get attention, or they blow things way out of proportion, and she may be saying that so she can go home from work. If she did v*, it very well could be from the food she ate. Most people when they get a sv, it will knock them on their ass for a while, and food posioning you might have a couple of v* epsiodes and be fine. Next just make sure you wash your hands good, don't touch your face alot. The best way not to get sick is to just wash your hands. If you can, buy some lysol or cleaning wipes and wipe down the area you work in, and hide one in your hand and use it to open the doors with. That way you will be disinfecting as well as keeping your hands off the doorknobs. Your chance of catching something is slim, so try not to worry.

Michele

I hate making such a big deal.....but as you know, you just cant help things like this. Unfortunately I have been touching my face but I'll try not to think about that so much. I really hate not being able to go to the restroom but I feel to scared. Anyhow, thanks for the talk, I really needed someone to just calm me down andspeak positivly about the situation. It's like I need reassurance constantly but I guess that is how I get through it because I dont trust myself enough. Good idea with the wipes I have some here! BIG THANKS Michele.

I hate it when people I work with do that kind of thing.....you'll be around them for an hour in their office, or answer a main phone that they have used, and then they announce to you that they were soooo sick last night, or they feel like they are going to be sick. No warning, nothing. I feel like screaming- ARE YOU CRAZY? HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL ME THIS???? Very inconsiderate......then I am stuck playing the waiting game until the incubation period is over. I've been there with the bathroom thing....held it all day....i'm sorry....I know what you went through....keep anitbacterial hand gel....it's easy to use every time you touch something.....[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]