Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK madness?!

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//-->
    Who else is UK based here?

Is it just me or has the sv been making every blinking news channel? I
    heard about it on This Morning, on the radio, on my local news, on my
    gf's local news...

I'm so scared. Literally, terrified. I keep crying. I
    don't know anyone with it (yet) and I'm trying to rationalise, but I'm
    scared to leave my house.

Big love to anyone as scared as I am at the moment!

It does seem to be on lots of news bulletins at the moment. It does however seem to be focused on schools. As soon as i calm down from one news story up pops another. It's half term now so maybe the storys will die down. It is a scary time but hang in there keep your hands washed and it will soon be over.

Thank you. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//-->
    I am washing my hands, and hoping it will pass soon.

I know it happens every year - there's always an outbreak - but I can't
    remember it being this bad before. My mum works as a nurse in the
    community, and she says she hasn't come across the sv yet, so maybe
    it's just the media being all dramatic.

Unfortunately it is RAMPID in the United States also......I feel like I'm playing dodge ball at this point. Most of the people in my immediatefamily (8 people!!!)have had it (some worse than others) except for me and my husband and every time I think I'm safe I hear someone else talking about how they just got over it. It is soooo hard to try and explain to these people who don't have this phobia what it is like this time of the year for an emet!

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

The scary thing about this one is it seems to be going around more than once! I used to feel 'safe' once our family had been effected (which we were in early January), but now I'm just paranoid for round two!

Has this been an unusually bad season or is it my imagination?

this is so weird, it has got to be localized to certain areas, like maybe the east coast? I seriousll have heard of maybe one person having it in my area this year, and it certainly hasn't closed any schools or made the news.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

I am so sorry for you guys over in the UK, what a nightmare! I hope it all clears itself up soon.

I am in California, and we havent had much sv going around. Just a whole lotta respritory illness. I have been sick for almost 8 weeks now with bronchitis. But I will take it!

--Kim

I have become so obsessed with this thing.

I am scouring the local papers daily for an outbreak in my area (East Anglia) and checking work colleagues regularly to see if they are OK.

Hopefully with half term now here this thing will die down.

Either that or I feel like Im gonna totally loose the plot!!!

Laney[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I know how you feel. I am also in East Anglia.. Everyone seems to be dropping with the sv and I do not want to leavemy house. I am constantly asking my daughter if her tummy hurts. I am driving her mad. I keepmaking excuses for not goingout and think that I have actually lost the plot. I am also glad it is half term week and hope thesv will clear a bit by the time my daughter goes back to school.

You dont have to reply but whereabouts in East Anglia, Im in Suffolk.

Do you know, the sad thing is that I dont even have kids, yet Iam still panicked by this!! I try to remain rational but its not easy.

Im supposed to take my 10 yr old niece shopping this week (shes from Kent) but Im worried in case she gets sick whilst were out and I wont be able to deal with it or her!!

Sometimes I get so annoyed that this thing seems to rule mylife but aside from going on medication which I refuse to do, I just rely on visiting this site for help and reassurance.

Laney XX

I am also in Suffolk, on the East coast.

Sorry emet is getting to you so much at the moment. I think it must be the time of year as I am acting very irrational too. I keep feeling like a bad mum as I let this phobia rule my life instead of focussing on my beautiful children.

I also refuse to go on medication in fact I will not even tell the dr about the phobia for fear of being put on medication.

I think you will be fine taking your 10 year old niece out as older children normally let you know well in advance if they feel sick. Even my daughter who is just 6 gives me plenty of warning and has done since she was 3. She is a real star. It is my 2 year old son who worries me most as he would not tell me.

Do not let this phobia prevent you having children as the good times by far outweigh the bad times when they are ill.

Thanx for your words of wisdom!

I have discussed this with my doc, hes the onlyperson other than my hubby who knows about this. When I told him I was pathetic he said "no youre not, being cared of this isnt pathetic, you hear of peolpe being scared of baloons and buttons etc". What a star, he made me feel so much better.

Laney

I've just received an email from my cousin this morning detailing how some schools near her have been closed as the sv is spreading like mad. It's just what I wanted to hear [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Whoah...it sounds pretty intense! Has it ever been this bad other years?! It must be very scary for an emet in the affected areas. I have family in Suffolk, I hope they're all keeping well! No one here from Ipswich, by any chance?

Stay healthy and stay warm, guys! Keep the bugs away [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I"m really glad I'm not in the UK at the moment, but I do live in the Southeatern US, and ther eseems to be somethign going around here, but with the friends and family I have there's always somethign going around. I have 4 neices who are all under the age of 16(the old is 5 years younger than me) and a nephew who is 3, my sister works at a hospital and I have one friend who is a sv carrie and gets sick every 4 or 5 months...then on the brigh side I have a friend who has never v*ed in her life, even when she was a baby I just hope I have children like that....

You know think im gona curl up in a ball and hide,just not move for like the next month or so,hopefully il miss everything

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<!--
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//-->
    I had to go out shopping today, had a jacket I needed to take back, and food to get.

I have never seen so many flipping people in all my life! Just my luck
    to go out and be completely surrounded in hot, horrid shops with tons
    and tons of people.

If I escape (the sv), I'll be so surprised. I literally feel like I can't breathe through fear...!

[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I'm UK based - west country and am like all you in a state of high anxiety and I have been for the last week. I couldn't believe it on wednesday - when I was so anxious I couldn't make it to work - even this morning had it on, then every news bulletin all day long. I made it towork Thurs and Fri - still feeling very wobbly ( so it was lovely to hear people in the office talking about thier kids who were sick). I just want to shout at them. I dofeel less anxious today. But then I get that feeling of "not wanting to let my guard down" becasue thats when I think it will creep up on me and I'll be ill. I can't stand it. I would do anything ANYTHING not to have this phobia

Quote Originally Posted by laneyb

You dont have to reply but whereabouts in East Anglia, Im in Suffolk.

Do you know, the sad thing is that I dont even have kids, yet Iam still panicked by this!! I try to remain rational but its not easy.

Im supposed to take my 10 yr old niece shopping this week (shes from Kent) but Im worried in case she gets sick whilst were out and I wont be able to deal with it or her!!

Sometimes I get so annoyed that this thing seems to rule mylife but aside from going on medication which I refuse to do, I just rely on visiting this site for help and reassurance.

Laney XX

I'm also in Suffolk (Felixstowe) and also don't have any kids, but dreading anything to do with this SV! My boss started talking about it today..

I haven't heard of anyone with it yet, and I hope it stays that way! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>

Schools are actually closing because of sv?? I've never heard of this happening in the US, even when the sv is rampant. I'm surprised it's all over the media too...I think I'd be less scared to learn that avian flu had come to town! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Nikki

Apparently the schools were closed so industrial cleaners could go in! One of the schools near here has 1400 pupils and apparently 500 have been off sick.

We went out last night and nearly everybody I spoke to said they'd either just got over the flu or were at the tail end of it. At least nobody mentioned svs. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I haven't picked anything up as it was so crowded in all the pubs we went in.

.•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Everyone I speak to at the moment has had a really bad cold or the flu - only two have had sv's. I think the media does make it see bigger than what it actually is!

Everyone I speak to seems to have had svs. My sister and her family have had 2 in as many months. My friend and her family are just recovering from one. My Mother in law,sister in law and niece are just over one. Another of my friends had to collect her child from school early on Friday as he had a sv, so I think I must be livivng in the wrong area. My family just have heavy colds at the momentand hopefully the svs will start to disappear after half term week.

I'm in Ipswich Suffolk, and as of yet, i haven't heard of anybody getting a sv. Flu, yes, but sv, no. We had a big sv outbreak here in october/november, so maybe its been here. Mind you, i'd still worry about it going round again! At least its half term. I plan on staying in with the kids, a few friends round to visit, but we aren't going anywhere public - i can entertain them just as well at home. Hopefully the week away from school will give everything a chance to settle.

At least with it being in the news, maybe it will make people more aware of the need to practise hygene, keep sick kids off school, and disinfect the affected buildings. And maybe spur the medical profession on to develop a vaccine!

I'm so glad I have no contact with schools. I think I'll keep out of town when it's half-term and full of children! While I'm sure they're all all adorable [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]they do seem to be the ones spreading the germs around...

Wow I cant believe 2 people on this forum have mentioned Ipswich, Suffolk, thats where I am!!

Also Nikki mentioned earlier that she would be lass scared if avian flu came to town. Do you know I said the very same thing to my hubby last nite, oh well at least if avian flu hits its respiratory and doesnt involve V*.

God I really am loosing the plot......

Laney

My best advice...don't watch the news. That's what I try to do. My problem is, is that if I hear about something "coming up at 6", I HAVE to watch it, it's like I need to know.

Fortunetly, here, there have been a few people I know with the sv, my mom, though, has a nasty cold, and I hear more about that than anything. I'll take chest congestion and exaustion for a week, over 24hrs over a sv!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I've heard of a couple schools closing in a neighboring state because of "stomach-related illnesses" but none for the flu yet. The flu is just starting to hit here, and the sv as well. I had my son at the dr. a couple weeks ago and he said there are a lot of really bad nasty things going around schools and daycares. Made me feel great. I also heard two people in church mention they had or someone they know had a sv.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

hey

I am a teacher in a large secondary school in Kent. Over the last 3 weeksso many kids havebeen ill. Loads of them have had v*ing but, it seems to be caused by a number of viruses, the sv being one, infuenza B being the second and tonsilitis the third. to be honest i don't think the sv is as rampant as it has been made out to be, it seems to me that as soon as a kid v* its just assumed its an sv when really it could be any numbre of things

I agree, and hope(!) that things have been blown out of proportion by the media. In Wales, the main problem has been influenza B. This can apparently cause some gastric upset, but it's not a sv. There have been a few kids off with it at my kids' school, but I only know of one who v* with it.

We've been hearing alot about the Norwalk virus spreading, but if you look back at the news over a few months, it seems that this was hitting more in November time, with a few clusters in the Midlands/Gloucester/Hereford more recently, but these were a couple of weeks ago now.

I did overhear someone in the playground saying that someone (kid? husband?) hadbeen throwing up all day. It scared me but I'm now telling myself that people v* all the time and this doesn't mean there's a virus going round....I hope!

Fingers crossed that it's on its way out.