Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Dental Phobia/Emetophobia

Hey. Can your back teeth being too sharp make you feel sick/gagged or is it all in my head? I have dental phobia as well as emetophobia and I've not been well at all lately. I already went to the dentist and they smoothed it saying it was a bit chipped but I panicked so bad afterwards cause the tooth felt shorter and flatter and I got scared they'd shaved too much and I've always had healthy, perfect teeth - not even a filling. Now after all that I still feel like it's sharp and cutting/scraping my tongue. It's causing me immense distress, somebody please help. I feel like I'm dying or going insane from the level of panic and nausea I keep experiencing, a lot of it over this and sensations in my mouth or with swallowing etc. Need advice.

Default Re: Dental Phobia/Emetophobia

Never had that problem, only thing is getting a pill stuck in my tonsil as well as food.. If anything if I have a broken tooth and its sharp it will start digging into my gums. I'm guessing your gag reflex is in your head and your over thinking it.

Never had that problem, only thing is getting a pill stuck in my tonsil as well as food.. If anything if I have a broken tooth and its sharp it will start digging into my gums. I'm guessing your gag reflex is in your head and your over thinking it. It is possible! I just had alot of work done on my teeth and didn't experience what you have had which makes me point to it's all in your head. Fear/Mind is your worst enemy.

Ok. I haven't been well at all with a virus that caused swollen lymph nodes and bumps and sores in my mouth plus a severe sore throat. I've been so messed up that the worst happened and I TU yesterday, partly from what may have been panic (which is terrifying in itself) over this mouth thing. The virus is better now but that side of my tongue is still sore from what I'm assuming is my tooth being sharp but I don't know and I just feel so uncomfortable and afraid. I want it to go away and feel well again. I'm so messed up :'( I keep responding with terror over these sensations in my mouth and the idea of gagging or TU. I also keep feeling at it too, which could also be making my tongue worse.

I know what you are talking about. I am also sensitive to things in my teeth - shape, gums, etc. I also tend to get swollen lymph nodes and cankers sores often. IT IS ANNOYING.

My advice would be to gargle/rinse with warm, salty water a few times a day to alleviate any abrasions or irritation on your tongue. Your tooth may be rough on the edge, but you also just may have a sensitive tongue!

I hope that helps. You are not imagining it, but there are ways to make it feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by ARose97 View Post
    Ok. I haven't been well at all with a virus that caused swollen lymph nodes and bumps and sores in my mouth plus a severe sore throat. I've been so messed up that the worst happened and I TU yesterday, partly from what may have been panic (which is terrifying in itself) over this mouth thing. The virus is better now but that side of my tongue is still sore from what I'm assuming is my tooth being sharp but I don't know and I just feel so uncomfortable and afraid. I want it to go away and feel well again. I'm so messed up :'( I keep responding with terror over these sensations in my mouth and the idea of gagging or TU. I also keep feeling at it too, which could also be making my tongue worse.
    I'm going to put this out there because you aren't the only one that has V* over a none SV* type of thing. I don't know what kind of virus you had, but it sounds like foot and mouth (sores and sore throat)?? I have learned to deal with my none SV* issues. Please don't let one instance of V* scare you/ push you back. I've have had alot of instances of V* from panic attacks. I have learned to adapt to them over the years.
    Last edited by pinogirl3321; 09-26-2021 at 04:25 AM.

Thank you. That's good advice, and it's bothering me less now.

Unfortunately my anxiety is too much to handle atm as a result of TU the other week. I keep feeling like it's going to happen again and I'm losing my mind. Everything that's happened in the last month has just been too much for me. I know it can happen to some people from other viruses but that was a first for me, I also don't usually throw up from any sort of panic either, even if I might overwhelmingly feel like it, and now that I may have once I keep getting similar feelings again and thinking it's gonna repeat itself. I haven't even left the house since. I'm not doing very well :'( I wish I could be like the people on here who never get sick or haven't since they were a kid. Why can't I be like them? :'(

I am so sorry to read this update. Sometimes it is easier to just ostrich and hide at home, but you have to get out. Mentally, physically and emotionally - it is better. Even if you just go take a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ARose97 View Post
    Unfortunately my anxiety is too much to handle atm as a result of TU the other week. I keep feeling like it's going to happen again and I'm losing my mind. Everything that's happened in the last month has just been too much for me. I know it can happen to some people from other viruses but that was a first for me, I also don't usually throw up from any sort of panic either, even if I might overwhelmingly feel like it, and now that I may have once I keep getting similar feelings again and thinking it's gonna repeat itself. I haven't even left the house since. I'm not doing very well :'( I wish I could be like the people on here who never get sick or haven't since they were a kid. Why can't I be like them? :'(
    I think we all have set backs like this!! This happened to me back last October. I didn't have a SV* or anything like that. My stomach didn't feel good at all. I believe its from years and years of stress and anxiety that has done a job on my stomach, but I found a way to deal with it without v* again from it. It's been a year and I still get the issues and I still feel just as sick, but I found a way to deal with it without V* and that's by staying calm and not pacing anymore. I found pacing made it worse. I'm not saying your issues are the same as mine, but I'm solely saying just cause v* ONCE from something doesn't mean it will happen again. I did the same as you for a couple weeks thinking it was going to happen again and I wouldn't be able to control it again, but I found a way and I'M FINE now! Wait a few weeks and see how you feel about it as time passes your feeling about it will too.
    Last edited by pinogirl3321; 10-08-2021 at 02:34 AM.