Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There have been a number of posts over the past few months regarding the availability of Phenergan - the anti-emetic. Anyway, it is available over the counter at pharamcies in the UK- I bought some today. 56 *25mg tablets for about £4.70. They come in 12.5mg tablets too but I went for the strong ones! This is the stuff which seems to be prescribed as an anti-emetic in the US and used to counter post-operative n* andv*. From what I have read, one 25mg tablet is the standard anti-emet dosage.

I'mnot going to use them routinely obviously, but at least they're there - just incase!

Can you buy these over the counter? Can anyone take them? Great news.

xxxxxxxxxxx[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yeah, over the counter - I got the medicine in Superdrug for my niece, and the tablets for myself from the pharmacy in Sainsburys! Just ask!

If you look at the contraindications, if you're basically healthy, not pregnant or breastfeeding, or have asthma/bronchitis etc., then they are fine to take.Edited by: suze

Wow!! Where can u get them and is phenergan the product name? brilliant!!

Yeah, Phenergan is the product name. They seem to be kept under the counter though, so you can't see them. The pharmacist said not many people ask for them, but they are very good. Just say they are for travel sickness, should you get asked.

My physchiatrist gives me a script for them in the U.S.

They come in 25mg and are a suppository

Thanks Suze, i will be going into town this week so i will get some. Have you taken any yet?

Thanks for the info Suze. Where abouts in UK are you? I am in Berkshire.

Lol

Fifi

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Fifi, I've not taken them yet, as I really want to try and keep them for when I'm particuarly panicky. It also says to avoid alcohol as they can make you drowsy...and I like a couple of glasses of wine at night, lol! I have had stemetil though, which is also an anti-emetic, and felt fine with those, no drowsiness.

It would be useful to hear from others who have taken it though, so anyone who has, please let us know how it will make us feel!

I'm from Cardiff by the way!

I got a script for them over a month ago, and I haven't had to take
    one yet! I've found that just having them and knowing they're
    available cuts way down on the panic attacks. I've taken them
    before though, when I was pregnant with my youngest. I had
    horrible morning sickness. They work, but they really made me
    sleepy. Also a bit dizzy, but nothing too bad. Obviously, I took them
    when I was pregnant, with the ok from my OB/GYN, and they had no
    problem with me taking them now, and I'm nursing. The molecular
    weight is high enough that it doesn't pass through to breast milk in
    large quantities, and my dr's are fine with me taking it. I talked to
    another user on here this week via telephone, and she knows
    someone that just took them a week or so ago for a horrible sv that's
    going around, and she said that it worked really well for her. I've got
    30 pills now, and a refill of 30 pills I'll get eventually. I figure that
    should last me for about the rest of my life, lol!

Thanks for this peachy...I plan to keep mine for when I'm bad too. This usually happens at night so drowsiness shouldn't be too big an issue. It's good to know they're ok to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding - I think the information sheets in drugs these days tell you to not to take them when you're pregnant, so the drugs companies can't be found negligent. Often though the doctors OK their use, which is obviously the case with phenergan.

Anyway, thanks again for this info.

Ta Suze for the information, i think all the Chemits will have rush of Emets buying this product!!!!

How old are your children? Mine are 13 Years and 8 Years old.

xxx

I've got a 9 year old son and a daughter who is 5 on Thursday!

Weird, just knowing these tablets are here makes me feel better!

I know. Lets us all stay strong for each other. I dont want my kids to have this phobia, but it is so hard to keep strong when they are ill. How do you cope?

By the way, I hope your little girl has a nice birthday.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I just wanted to add one thing. The 25mg supp. is an adult dosage. The 12.5mg is for a child. I dont know how old a child has to be before they can have the adult dose.

Here in the states, we have to have a prescription for Phenergan. Man if I could just buy it off the shelf, no store around here would be able to keep it in stock!! LOL!! Just kidding!

I always have to keep some on hand for peace of mind. My doc. is nice enough to prescribe it for me.

Edited by: jennyleigh1975

Here's more info about the drug...note the interactions with anti-depressants and anti-anxiety as some of us here do take them....

http://www.drugs.com/phenergan.html

Is the over-the-counter kind only a suppository? In the US we have it in pill, suppository and IV form, but they are all prescription though.

I may have to beg someone to let me send money to the UK so I can get some!

Nikki

I need some right now[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hope you're feeling better Violet...you can get it in the UK in tablet form or in a medicine for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by fifi
    I know. Lets us all stay strong for each other. I dont want my kids to have this phobia, but it is so hard to keep strong when they are ill. How do you cope?

I don't cope very well - lol! I don't live with their dad either so it's all down to me. I'm actually remarkably calm when they v* and then the panic and fear start which lasts for about 5 days. After that amount of time I reckon I'm in the clear and not going to catch it.

My son is mildly emet, but I've never shown any fear in front of him. I'm not sure where it's come from but I do worry about him as you can imagine.

I also think every night is the night that they will v*, the fear is with me constantly...I hateit!

You are the same as me Suze. I am not with there dad either. I always think they are going to wake up in the nite and hear that voice saying "Mum!". I hate it so much. Mine are on half term this week, so at least they are not at school. I wish this fear would go away and never come back. My sister is much worse than me, she has not v*since she was 6, she is now 41 ! She has no children. My heart really thumps if my kids say they have a tummy ache or feel sick. I hate it so much.

Have a good day on Thursday with your daughters birthday.

xxxxxx

I went to my chemist today and asked for it, they gave me Phenergan Nighttime, 25mg tablets, are these the same ones or do I need something different, they didnt stock any different Phenergan tabs??

The silly thing is I probably wont end up taking them, unless in dire circumstances,just likethe stock of diazepam I have for panic attacks!!

Laney

Phenergan Nightime is exactly the same as standard phenergan, both contain 25mg of promethazine hydrochloride as the active ingredient - although you can buy the 10mg tablets too (I went for the 25mg).

Check out the following link:http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/and search for phenergan. It seems you have exactly the same as the bog standard 25mg tablets but you've paid a little more for the fancy package and the marketing of the product as a sleep aid!

Mine will be kept for emergencies too but it's nice to know they're there!Edited by: suze

You can get them shipped to the US!!! It costs about $10 US money. YIPPEE!!!
    <a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Thanx Suze, I kinda felt odd when the chemist asked why I wanted them,I just said a friend recommended them and didnt elaborate further, I got 14 tablets for about £2.50 so not too bad.

Thehorrible thing was I passed my chemist on the way to work this morning and the thing that made me remember to check then out was that there was 3 v* on the pavement nearby, I nearly freaked out, wrapped my scarf roundmy face and legged it into work. God I hate feeling likethis......

Ironically I too like a couple of glasses of wine in an evening (it relaxes me but not enough to getn drunk)so if I do take them they'll probably wipe me out anyway!!&nbs p;

My husband commented a few days ago that Phenergan should be over the counter. I agree.

I got some!! V pleased, it doesn't say anything on them about being an anti-emetci, just that they can be used for travel sickness and fever etc....is this right? i got 56 for 4.49 nwhich i thought was quite good. hopefully will never need them but glad i have them!!

I don't think anything you buy over the counter will state it's an anti-emetic but if you do a search on the web, try www.netdoctor.co.uk and search for phenergan, then it tells you exactly how it works.

Actually, just been on the netdoctor site and this is what it says about the active ingredient in Phenergan - promethazine:

"Promethazine blocks histamine receptors in an area of the brain called the vomiting centre. It also acts to block other receptors in the vomiting centre (serotonin receptors). Therefore promethazine prevents the vomiting centre from sending the nerve messages to the stomach that would normally result in vomiting. Promethazine also acts on receptors in the gut (muscarinic receptors) to decrease the amount of fluid secreted from the lining of the gut and decrease the actions of the gut muscles. This further aids the treatment or prevention of nausea and vomiting."

whoooaaaa Suze, thats quite an intense explanation, but interesting none the less.

I was just about the hit the website but you got there already!!

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]