Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I have my yearly physical tommorow afternoon and I'm getting really nervous. I've had physicals before but this one will include my first pap exam. UGH.

Any tips for someone on their first time? I get really squeamish around doctors and last time she tried to do it, I couldn't and felt really faint. I really don't want to faint in the doctors office and I'm afraid it will hurt.

My doctor isn't the friendliest woman and i always feel that she's in a rush, so I really am nervous about this appointment. I'm in the process of finding a new doctor by the way.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Don't worry, they aren't that bad. I just got my first one last year. They're uncomfortable and you'll feel pressure down there, but just remember how important it is to have one. If there was ever a problem, it could save your life. And yes, I would definitely suggest finding anew doctor! Good luck!!!!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I think the key to a PAP is to try to RELAX!! I know it's easier said then done but just like blondie 90 said ....it could save your life. Try to picture yourself somewhere that you feel comfort and secure. I enjoy traveling to St. Martin with my husband so I picture myself together with him on our favorite beach. And whatever you do FIND A NEW DOCTOR!! There is no need for her to be like that to you. The doctor can either make or break the exam.

I'm so anxious about going though. I just want to get it over with, it'll be the longest minutes of my life.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

Take a deep breath and it will be EASY!

You have to realx. I always get yelled at by my doctor because I'm always so tense. I chew gum, breath deepor ask my doctor other questions to keep my mind off of what is going on. It only takes a few seconds, then it's over. You will be fine!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

what kellybean said is good advice, make conversation with the dr., chew gum or something to make you not as tense because it will hurt more. I had my first about 3 years ago when I got pregnant, that's the only thing that would make me go! I got a new dr. and she is great, funny, very quick and (semi) painless. Definitely find a new doc if you don't like this one.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Pap smears really don't hurt me. They are not comfortable, mind you, but not painful. They will insert a speculum (sp?) which kinda stretches you open, then you'll feel little pinch inside, and it's done. Less than a minute. Just tell yourself that you can survive anything for 1 minute, and count while your doc is doing it.

I've only had it hurt once and that was because the tool they were using was too large, but it was in the emergency room. It was unfun. But if you are at a normal doctor you should be fine. They don't hurt as long as the thing they are using isn't too big, and usually if it hurts they can just change out. My first Pap Smear didn't hurt at all. But it came back abnormal which was really scary. They told me it was because I used scented tampons or my soap probably. But that was the most frightening thing about it. The cervical biopsy I had was pretty bad, but they won't do that unless they think something is wrong, and it was definitely worth knowing I was ok.

Hey there!!! it really sint that bad at all..i had major issues
    with having things in me and I got through it.. you can ask that
    thye use the smallest speculum possible..and they usualy heat it
    up...its quick..jsut think about another place..somthing that relaxes
    you..and it will be all over before you know it.
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

Ugh, I'm more scared today than I was yesturday.

don't worry about it, and take kmarie's advice. if you're worried baout it being painful it's not. And it's worth it. It's a betteroptint han dying, not that I think you will. But knowing you're ok is always better than not knowing

I promise, it's not that bad. Don't be scared. Do you have an Ipod or Walkman or something that you can take and listen to music? Paps hurt less than having blood drawn (or at least to me).

definitely I totally agree! about the pap smears hurting less then having blood drawn thing!

Ok guys, I'm back and all went well (hopefully). The exam wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and my doctor was actually really good with me.

Thanks for all the support.

I'm glad you got through it!

Good for you, it's not easy to find a doctor you're comfortable with.
    ~Sheri~

I am glad that you had your pap test done. I wish all ladies would have that done. At 23 I went for my pap and had cancer in the cervix. Had a cone biospy. Had to have a pap every 6 months for a bit. Went for my pap andthe cancerous cells came back and had cryosurgery done twice. Knock on wood it has been 7 years with no problems at all.
    I encourage women to have paps done.
    To be honest with you all, I was with some one who gave me genital warts, thank god my doctor was on the ball because he said there is a study out that these warts can cause cancer (this was 17 yrs ago). He was right!
    Please if you meet some one for gosh sakes make sure he uses a condom.

congrats i'm glad everything went well[img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state