Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was so excited when I found thatmy emetophobiahas a name.

but i was so upset to findthere is no definite cure.

I don't want to live like this. and I haven't always been like this. It just kinda blossomed and grew outta hand last year, or maybe the year before that.

I wish more than anything for there to be a cure. I don't believe that talking with a therapist will help. I don't believe that exposing myself to v* or making myself sick will help. I'm sure medicines will decrease my anxiety, but what happens when I really am sick and I have to v*? I will be soo scared!

I understand that after you v* you feel better. its the n* and the actual process of it coming up and out that scares me. But at the same time, I;ve burped and stuff came up and I tasted it and swallowed it down (sorry so graphic). That is a portion of throwing up. I also am n* every day of my life.

I feel these things often, and you would think that since I've basically know what its like I wouldn't be so scared. but no.

right now, I;m just so tempted to just shove my finger down my throat.

i'm all talk. i'll never do it.

i'm too afraid. I'll always be afraid. afraid to even live. afraid to wake up in the morning. afraid to go to work. to leave the house.

I really don't want to do this anymore.

I have suffered for thirty years. I am always trying to look for different types of therapies and each one gives me hope. When they don't work i get depressed for a few months then dust myself off and try again. I can't think or find anymore options to try at the moment.

I have just written a long letter about emet and how doctors know so little and how it never gets mentioned on T.V. hypnotherapists always treat people with balloon or dog phobias but never emet. i plan to send the letter to every T.V doctor in the UK and every magaizine help page. I want to bombard the country with my letter.

The trouble is at the moment i am not sure if i have explained it properly or got my point across yet. I have mentioned how many people are on this site.

I am just so fed up with the lack of help.

I've suffered for 41 years and I have days that are wore than others. I do feel N* almost every single day at some point and I know that is from worry and nothing else since i have had tons of stomach xrays and tests over the years. I want to tell you that nothing is worth giving up life for and especially this awful fear. It is only a fear, not a life threatening illness and we can handle this. People live through things that are so much worse and we must keep this in perspective even when it is difficult to see light at the end of the tunnel. I can tell you that I have a son and it is a true test. I think that each day is a test and I can do it and do it well. I go out daily, shop, play and live because I will not let this fear take over my life. It takes over my mind and makes each thought cluttered since I think about it all the time and still concentrate on a 4 year old and life around me as well. Yes, it is difficult and some days would be easier if I could just stay in bed, but I have never once done that and I will not give in to it and you cannot either. I have not been to therapy nor have I taken any drugs for this, but I would if I truly felt that I could get over it. I think that things can ease the severity of this anxiety, but I know I am the one who must change it and until I can totally get past this, which I am realistic about and it may never happen, I will be this way.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

There is a cure. Read what Sage posted on the treatments link. People do beat this thing. We will all beat this thing!
    \"This too shall pass\"

i hope more than anything in the world for this to go away, for me to be cured.

There are ways of beating this phobia, no-one said it'd be easy but reading Sage's story gave me so much hope that I WILL overcome this phobia.. "if Sage can do it, anyone can!"

Thinking negativly just makes things worse, and I know I'm not one to talk but try to think a bit more positivly and you have already made one step to your recovery [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

Seriously, just as shiva said, there IS a cure, and it has absolutely nothing to do with making yourself throw up. Have you read the Treatments section? Doing exposure therapy and having a therapist to work through it with is what cures a person. Exposure therapy is not about making yourself throw up.

It's sad that you say that there isn't a cure when there is.

Quote Originally Posted by wintergreen22

See, it sounds passive when you write, "for me to be cured." You have to work on curing yourself. There is no magic cure, but there is a cure nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by wintergreen22

Ditto to what Shiva, Jackie, and Japa said- there is a cure, and this can definitely be overcome- but you have to actively pursue it. This phobia won't magically disappear on it's own, and by believing it can't or won't be beaten, you are doing yourself a disservice bygiving it more power to take over your life.

*amber*

Jessica, there are cures that people have tried and other things that people do to cope with emetophobia. You can read stories of cures at my site (see the link in my signature) or browse through past messages here to see what has and has not worked. There are also tips for dealing with all kinds of therapists and how to tell them what they need to know.

I don't think sticking a finger down there is the answer, although many of us have been so frustrated with this phobia that we've wanted to.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

i've read them, its just sometimes i really have a hard time beliveing. this week has really really beean hard for me...it makes it so hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. i just need to be patient.

thankyou really, for helping me out. you're right, I don't just get cured, i have to help myself beat this thing. thankyou thankyou thankyou for helping me see this!!!

Winter- congrats to you for realizing this [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]. I know how completely discouraging it can get when you hit a rough patch, and how at times it can seem as though this thing is never going to go away- but it will. Don't get discouraged when you hit times like this.... just think "ok, it's been a rough couple of hours/days/weeks, but I made it- and what can I do to avoid this mindset in the future". Not avoid certain situations, but avoid thinking negatively, or getting yourself freaked out over something.

The light is there hon- just let yourself see it! I've improved so much over the past few years, and there are people like Sage and Charlotte who now consider themselves cured. When it gets rough, just think that if they can do it, so can you!

PS- are you in any sort of treatment, or have you looked into it? It can be hard to find a therapist/counsellor that you are compatible with, but once you do it can make a huge difference. They can't do the work for you, but they can put you on the right track.

Goodluck with everything!

*amber*

What everybody said is SO true. You can be cured, but need to actively participate to get there. You can't take a pill, or stick your fingers down your throat and then voila it's gone. Sages story is very reassuring, and helps us all out knowing that it can be beaten. Things go up and down, and down, and up again. Sometimes years of ups, then BAM all of a sudden it's down. (I know, cause that's what has happened to me before).

Keep strong, and feel free to vent about anything to us, we all need to at some point right??

Take care,

Crystal [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I agree with everything on here, especially the ups and downs. I was making tons of progress, and now I've hit a bit of a roadblock. Two panic attacks in one week, and higher anxiety than usual. I've been under a lot of stress though. I've got a terrible cold, my future in-laws just visited, and I just got over my period. Hopefully this will just be a setback and then things will improve. Things were going extremely well up until this, but I WILL BEAT THIS, damn it!!!

I'm still working my butt off on the exposure therapy. I'm almost done reading the paragraphs my b/f wrote me about v*. There's 8 in all, and the eighth one still scares the heck out of me, but I look at the first couple sentences now, and think "Who cares?" That's progress to me, but there are always bumps in the road, and it does require you to actively participate in your treatment. You are the one who's going to make yourself better, not your therapist. The therapist can guide you in the right direction, and offer suggestions and advice, and help you work through issues, but the only person who can change your brain wiring is you!Edited by: kel12347
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

my stepmom is really my therapist...shes a psychiatrist and i always call her when i have panic attacks and stuff....but my anxiety is increasing, its starting to affect me BIG time, and i have more anxiety attacks, so i'm thinking about doing medication just to help myself relax.

I've been on anti-anxiety meds for years now. They really do help with the panic attacks but they in NO way have cured me from my Emetophobia. I'm not saying they don't help (Cause they do for me...MAJORLY) but just doing meds is not an answer either. Like everyone said you have to actively seek out a cure and work on it.

I mean sometimes I wish I just had a fear of Dogs cause then all I would have to do is stay away from them...(I love dogs...I don't know what I'd do without those little bundles of joy) But it would be easier to fear something like that then something that your OWN BODY does. I've been working with therapists since I was 4 or 5. I've had the phobia for as long as I can remember, but just recently over the past year or so has it gotten worse. I'm working with a therapist right now but she's just a trained counselor not a psychologist so I might have to go see someone who is trained with phobia counseling.

Anyway, you have to work at it...but you can be cured! It may seem like it's hopeless but it's not.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

i have always had a fear of vomit, ever since i was a little kid. i couldnt calling it puking, i made my mom call it "being sick". i'm 17, so i always have to hear stories about people going to parties and getting sick. it makes me afraid to go out and have a good time, i barely drink, i hate public bathrooms because im always afraid someone will be puking, im always thinking about it, and if i come in contact with it, it will haunt me for days. my friends make fun of me, they say theyre going to lock me in a room and puke in front of me. but if i am around someone and there is even a possibility of them puking, my heart starts pounding, i start shaking, and i start feeling sick. my friend learned in her pyschology class that there is a name for this, and it is pretty relieving. but it also makes me sad that thers really nothing i can do about it. my friend thinks that if i watch someone puke, it might help, but i dont know if i can. i havent puked since i was 9, even when i get really nauseous, i will dry heave but NEVER puke. im only 17 and im afraid of ever having kids because i woudlnt be able to take care of them when i was sick. i feel so guilty for not being able to take care of my boyfriend when he's sick. this is horrible, but at least im not alone and im not crazy...

deff not crazy...in the slightest.

thats what I hate to think...that there is no way of escaping it.

have your friends stopped saying what they did when they realised it has a name?

xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

yea, that is the scariest part. and its like constantly having this anxious feeling wherever you go because it could be anywhere.i atually just found out it had a name today. my best friend who showed it to me understands a little more now, so thats better. she was like "well that explains why i cant understand what you feel at all". i also told my boyfriend about it, who ive been with for 3 years, so he understands it. other people will probably think im making it up though.