Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I know that RLS has nothing to do with emetophobia, but I think I have RLS and wanted to see if any of you suffer from it as well?

Almost every night while lying in bedI get these strange sensations in my legs, kind of like an electrical current running up and down my legs which is very uncomfortable and it makes me feel that I need to stretch or move my legs.It comes and goes and is very annoying to me.Some nights I don't have itat all and other nights I am just so uncomfortable that it freaks me out and I start feeling it in my arms too.I have read about RLS and it seems like this is what is causing these feelings . . . . does anyone else deal with this? And if so, do you seek medical help to deal with it?

I think my boyfriend has this, it gets so bad some nights it wakes me up! He jerks or twitches in his arms alot too. I thought it might be RLS, but I really never did any reserch on it. Sorry I can't be more of help!

I don't think that I jerk or twitch in my sleep....but I do have the other symptoms of it. Your bf may have it too since jerking and twitching is also a symptom of RLS. Thanks for responding!

I have RLS too. Most people I talk to that also have it, dont get the sensations in their arms though, lucky us, huh? Mine started after I had my hysterectomy in Aug. 2004. It was real bad for a long time after my surgery, but it is not so bad now. It usually only flares up maybe 2-3 times a month. That first year after my surgery it was about 3-4 times a week. I wonder if hormones has anything to do with it.

I know how aggravating this is to have to deal with, its awful to be so tired, but all your body wants to do is move and you get no sleep. I know its got to be even harder to be pregnant and have RLS.

Hi aar13,
    I had it for a while around pregnancy also and I get it every once in a while. It is an awful feeling. What helped me was calcium/magnesium vitamin pills. Take one at night before bed and somehow it helps a lot. Maybe RLS means you are deficient in cal/magnesium. Try it and let me know. Andrea

andee brought up a good point, I have heard that a deficency(sp?) in calcium can cause RLS.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but my mother-in-law swears by it... she's got terrible RLS, and can't even sit still for watching a movie, she has to get up and pace around the room.

She heard somewhere that you should put a bar of soap under your fitted sheet in your bed down by your legs and leave it there. Look it up on google and see for yourself, there are websites on this. She claims it does the trick! I thought she was full of $hit but I guess it's a home remedy.......
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I get it once in a while, not as often as I used to though. I found that getting up and walking around for a couple of minutes helped. I know, it's miserable[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Yep, i have this!

My hubby rubs my legs when i get in bed (particularly the calf muscles and ankles). I have found that support grip on the ankle helps and if its really bad i rub some deap heat into my legs, again the calf muscle.

Hope this helps. I sometimes feel that my legs will get up and walk across the room on their own! its a shame i couldn't train them to take my bladder with them, then i wouldn't have to get up so many times for a wee in the night! lol!

Well, I see that I'm not alone and that my symptoms must be caused by RLS. I'm going to try the "soap in the bed" trick and see what happens. Thank everyone!

It is really annoying and hard to sleep, especially being already uncomfortable at night due to pregnancy. Hopefully it's just pregnancy related and will go away after I have the baby. Or I may just be wishful thinking!

aar13,

I have RLS too. It often is triggered by wearing uncomfortable shoes all day or sitting for long periods of time in a chair that restricts circulation to the legs. My RLS is only in my legs and usually strikes at night and often keeps me awake. I get all of the symptoms you get as well as hot legs. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!

I also take calcium/magnesuim to help with it.

happyteacher

I have it >.< it's very irritating and I know it is a side effect of many SSRI's ans antihistamine's (sp?)

Yuck! I had this thoughout the last 3 months of my pregnancy... EVERY NIGHT!! So I know how awful this feels. I also began experiencing them when I first started taking Prozac for my anxiety. BUT, I found that walking around would help if I caught it in time, and I ate like 2 bananas a day and drank at least 8 oz. of water a day. I found that that helped a lot.

Prior to these tricks I would wake up w/ the most God awful Charlie Horses imaginable. SOmetimes in both of my legs.. at least when I was awake I could feel them coming and try to prevent it.

I've heard of the bar of soap under your fitted sheet at the end of the bed. I never tried it though... was worried I'd be puting it the wrong spot.

GL.. (I never realized itwas this common of a problem)
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

Lastnight wasn't so bad - but some nights get really bad and really uncomfortable. I've never had charlie horses or pain though, just that really weird "electrical current" feeling up and down my legs. Some times it makes my whole body uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone, it seems as though this is a lot more common than we all think! Maybe I'll try eating more bananas and see if that helps. I did notice the past few nights when I took Tylenol Sinus that it was worse, I wonder if that has anything to do with it as someone mentioned above?!