Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

THis phobia is just about to drive me crazy. I'm driving home yesterday - stuck in traffic as usual. Pretty uneventful, when all of a sudden a truck in the lane next to me and a little ahead of me opens one of the back doors and this guy sticks his head out of door and does it. RIght there on the freeway. I am doing my damdest not to look, but I'm driving. He does this like 3 times. I'm a nervous wreck. I slow down to the point of almost stopping and start to get over to the other side of the freeway, so I wouldn't be on the same side as the guy. I'm paranoid as I go through the lane he was in cuz I don't want my tires to touch it - I mean - cuz you know you can catch SV that way. I'm also freaked out cuz I have my car AC on, but I didn't have the circulator on - so air from the outside is coming in my car. I'm just terrified, I'm catching whatevr this guy has. It's ridiculous. SO this morning on my way to work, I'm scared that I am going to see this again. I can't go on much more with this stupid phobia.

Oh nasty!! You poor thing, being stuck and unable to run away.. So sorry you had to see that. I saw something like that 15 years ago, and still remember it very clearly. Ick.

Dont worry, you wont catch anything from him. It is impossible.

--Kim

But what pisses me off about it is that it bothered me in the first place. THere were a bunch of other cars that saw this and no one else was making dangerous lane changes to get away from it.

I think this phobia is worse for me and others who have not been sick in over 20 years. I have no frame of reference to even begin to think about what it is like to be "sick". I don't even know what real nausea is. I don't even know what there is to be afraid of. I am so frustrated.

You poor thing. Try not to think of it. I saw something like that about 12 years ago and i can still remember it as though it was yesterday. Time will help you forget most of it, and the fear factor will be less. My sister has not v*since she was 6 and she is now 41!!

I also get frustrated with this phobia, i think we all do. Just try and see the funny side of what happend, the other drivers were probably thinking "who is that mad women!".

Fifi

xxxxxxxxxx

I had a simialr experience about a year ago, but not whilst driving (that would be fun as I cant drive!!)

I was walking back to work after lunch and this woman walked past with a bloke and I remember thinking my god, that skist was tooooo short!! Anyway all of a sudden I hear this strange noise, turn round and she was v*. I was about 10 feet away so not tooooo close but I got back to work in such a complete panic I had to take a diazepam tablet (valium) and I only take these when I realllly need them. It took about 10 texts messages to my hubby b4 I even started to calm down, hes the only one Ive told.

Even now I can hear the noise, see the event like it was yesterday.

You are not alone.

Laney XX

I know the feeling. Its been 23 years for me. (almost 24) I have no idea what it feels like to v*.. And I would rather not find out.

I know it feels strange to watch others react to someone v*ing. They kinda look, and say ewww. Then go about what they were doing. I, on the other hand will jump over people to get out of the room. Last time it happened, I was in a restaurant and noticed one other lady high-tailed it outta there as well. So I guess we are out there. But the people I was with had no reaction at all.. It frustrates me as well.

--Kim

Its so horrible when that happens, I remember each event clear as anything. Every time I have brought a new car (2 times!) something bad has happened, the 1st time wasn't V* related but the 2nd time was and was exactly what happened to you aguerra29.. it was SO scary!! I can't get the image out of my head.. remember it as if it were yesterday..

I wouldn't worry about catching it, its impossible as tink said! But that must have been so traumatic for you, and we are all here for you to help you get through it [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

I am still just so mad at myself for having this stupid phobia. I am a busy career woman and I do not have the time to deal with this. I have a husband and a home to take care of in addition to working over 40 hours a week. When can I possibly find time to cure myself of this stupid phobia. I was on Lexapro for over a year and it did wonders for my phobia, but I put on over 25 lbs. I was miserable being that fat and I could not stop packing on the pounds. I've been off of the meds for several months and have only lost 12 lbs - and I have been working out like a maniac and eating right. So I am not getting back on meds. I wish I could wake up tomorrow morning and be normal.

I understand your pain with this....a big part of the problem though is being so damn hard on yourself and beating yourself up about it (easier said than done, maybe I should take my own advice...) I am sure that you are an intelligent women who has it together in most areas of your life. I understand how extemely frustrating it can be. I also understand the weight gain as I was on paxil and gained 20 pounds. It helped me tremendously with the phobia and I never even really worried or thought about it. I have been off of it for about 6 months and here I am again...I am trying Wellbutrin now, suppossed to actaully make you lose weight!! I'll let you know how it works if you are interested, but again everyone is different.

you think thats bad!
    i was eating at a mexican restaurant with my family a few months ago,
    and this little girl and her mom started walking swiftly and then right as they reached our booth she v'd* all over the place. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. like two feet away! i was MORTIFIED!!!!!!!!
    and then the server came with our food!
    it was a complete nightmare.
    but guess what...
    didnt get it!
    so if i didnt get it and the chick was right in front of me..
    you certainly wont get it from the highway..

I had a similar event today in the grocery store. I heard a little kid coughing, sort of like he had bronchitis. But actually he ws V*! I didn't see it happen, but I saw him down on the floor and IT. It has stuck in my head all day and made me very nauseous and anxious. I guess we have to be thankful when we witness these things that they are happening to somebody else and not us!

There are indeed meds which don't carry the side affect of gaining weight, maybe try another one if you think it'll help? Try get an appointment with your doctor and explain all this too him, you may find he'll have a good suggestion.

We all wish we could wake up tomorrow and be normal but beleive me beating yourself up about it makes it so much harder for yourself..we all all here for you when you need support day or night and one day we will all beat this phobia!
    <a href=\"
    target=\"_blank\">

</a>