Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I don't know if it's just me or what but does anyone else find the urge to pace when they feel nauseous?

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember, and I don't really know what caused me to start doing it but one day when I was younger and not feelin well I just started to pace back and forth and sure enough it worked.

Now it's aMUST whenever I'm feeling sick. That's why sometimes I hate going out into public, especially going out to eat. 'Cause when I feel sick, I need to be alone to pace, and that's hard to do in public without drawing attention.

Anyone else dealing with this on a constant basis?

I havent felt N* in a while so I can't really call.. but I would imagine pacing does help as it helps take your mind off things and maybe increase the amount of air you take in? As the more I breathe in the better I feel!

Not the best response I know.. But I thought I'd give my opinion!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

YES
    i definitely walk back and forth when im feeling nauseous or just really anxiousy panicky. i also hold my hand to my heart, and it somehow helps me feel better. i dont know. we're all weirdos. but thats okay!

I'll either pace, or if I feel bad enough that I don't even want to pace
    (doesn't happen often) I sit on my bed, rock back and forth, and sing
    the same song over and over. Between the two of them I can usually
    keep from v*.

Yes! I need to pace when I feel sick. I walk up and down. If I can't, I sit rigidly in my seat and start praying lol. xD
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

That is exactly what I did when I had a sv the other day. I didn't v*. When I felt very n* I went outside in the cold (20 degrees) with no coat and walked back and forth on my deck. Hey, whatever we can do we should do.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I'm a pacer too!
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

Yes- last year my hubby, daughter and I all had a sv* at the same time.
    Hubby and daughter v* all night long. I paced for 8 hours the entire night
    fighting off the v*. It was the worst night I've had in a long long time.
    But I had victory in the end.

^ That's very brave of you! 8 hours, wow!

Yes, I definitely pace! I pace and fan my face and swallow alot...and I also talk to myself! This is more for my panic attacks, but when I feel truly n* (which I haven't felt in a loooong time, touch wood), I do all that too, except outside in the fresh air, I dunno, as soon as I feel sick I just have to get outside, no matter what.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I pace when my stomach is upset, or anxious. Actually, I try to find house work to do to take my mind off of it. It seems to calm me down quite a bit.

From what I've read many many people are pacers. I can't move though when i get really naseous. I have to sit with my head in my hands. If I move too much I get gaggy. Weird.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Quote Originally Posted by angel13

^ That's very brave of you! 8 hours, wow!

Yes, I definitely pace! I pace and fan my face and swallow alot...and I also talk to myself! This is more for my panic attacks, but when I feel truly n* (which I haven't felt in a loooong time, touch wood), I do all that too, except outside in the fresh air, I dunno, as soon as I feel sick I just have to get outside, no matter what.

Wow! Thank you guys so much for your repsonses! You have no idea what it means to me to find others that function in the same way I do. At first, it was hard for me to believe that there are others that have emetophobia, but thenI CERTAINLY thought that NO ONE else paced (and swallowed too!)....I've always felt like such a freak for the rituals that I have to do in order to calm myself down and not vomit.

I also agree that when I'm pacing I either have to be outside where it's a cooler temperature or if I'm inside then I have to have a fan cooling me off 'cause I tend to get hot when I'm feeling sick. I also have to constantly repeat things and talk to myself, I usually end up talking about my mom and dad who have always comforted me when I was sick.Edited by: wicked mistress

When I was a child I use to pace...and then I would start to walk around the house trying to get my mind off of it. I dont really do much it anymore. Now I just sort of fidgit and rock.
    *Mandi*

When i get n* I cant pace, for some reason I get paralyze andI just have to sit still and concentrate on my breathing, and then i get hot flashes and i sweat and get super cold after... but next time ( hopefully there is no next time) im gonna try pacing... I dunno if i can do it... cause whenever I move i feel like its going to make me.. v*...i just sit on my bed and sit 90 degrees and as i get better I slowly slide down,,, and try to sleep it off.

I fan my face and swallow a lot too!....but I stopped the swallowing cause i feel like its going to make me v* sometimes cause im fillingmy stomach with liquid.
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

yeah, i walk round in circles, muttering, acting like a general looney too
    <font color=GREEN>
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>