Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: dentist

Does anyone have a huge fear of going to the dentist? All my life I dread the appointment, because i fear once he starts im stuck in the chair till its over & what if i make myself sick with nerves! Maybe its a control thing, because your cant get up to leave till he's done, just wondering if any one else feels this way.

-Lisa

Hmmm... I usually do get a bit anxious when I go to the dentist...
    those tools and toothbrushes that have been in hundreds of other
    people's germy mouths, and then dentist sticking their fingers into
    your mouth aswell. But I fear the doctor more than the dentist....
    -Anna

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">I am scared of the dentist. I have treid to keep my teeth up to par but they are weak and I am dreading the next appointment. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]LOL the last time though I loaded myself up on so much Gravol I almost fell asleep on him half way through it. I think I got a little TOOO relaxed. I am pretty bad though I am so afraid I am going to get so anxious I will be sick or he will gag me. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I was always scared of the dentist terribly (for emet reasons) - then I discovered Ativan and I dope myself up with it oncea year, or every time I need work done. No anxiety...no memory of the appointment! lol!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

im petrified of the dentist... but mainly because of my experience of the authodontists... the way they make u do those moulds.. which make u gag hjorribly.. EUGH.

anyway, i have to have a filling done soon, and im already really scared about it...

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

Hey Sage,

What is that medicine that you take exactly? Did you get it by prescription? What does it do?

I'm dreading getting braces soon, and have been for as long back as I knew that they made the mold of your mouth...
    -Anna

Well my appointment is tomorrow i need a filling that i have been putting off, But i have xanax so hopfully that will take the edge off, next visit i have to have my wisdom teeth out, that will be a high stresser!!!! Yea I know all about braces &amp; having to have the molds done, the key is to breath out of your nose slowly &amp; deeplyin &amp; out tell the nurse to keep talking to u to keep your mind off the gag reflex.

The dentist fear is DEFINITELY the control thing for me. One of my worst fears is v*ing while they're working on my mouth...[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]But, I've managed to get through dental appointments pretty well. The big problem I had was one time when I got gum surgery that I was AWAKE for and I felt like v*ing from the anxiety!! It was HORRIBLE. I didn't think I could handle it...the doctor said I was really close to fainting. I wish I did faint so that I wouldn't be concious for all the nerves. Leese - I wouldn't be as afraid of the wisdom teeth removal because you aren't awake for the surgery, and all my friends who had theirs out said they never felt sick at all. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    No life is wasted; the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.

saifi,

i will be awake because i only ned the top ones out, i asked not to be sedated, i cant handle IV sedation, makes me feel like i can leave if i had to, i'd rather be awake &amp; in control, anyway they are going to do one at a time, I have an awesome dentist! So im getting ready to leave in a few to go for my drill &amp; fill, my anxiety is off the charts, when its over i will be like why was i so nervous! thats how it always is! I dread the appointment for weeks &amp; then its over &amp; i get so mad i ruined my week for nothing. ANyway antisapatory anxiety is the worst!

-Lisa

I ahte the dentist. I'm ok with it apart from my emet stopping me going. I really need a brace but have been to scared to get it done. I started going to the orthadontist when I was 9 but havent gone through wirh it yet! Its one of my prioritys once I get over emet!