Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

In the future I do want kids....adopted or my biological children. If I choose to have my own children my biggest fear isnt about giving birth but its more about the morning sickness. I have read a couple of bulletins since I joined yesterday.. seems like some of you has already had kids. I was just wondering how was that like and how did you overcome it? or why you still have emet after giving birth...

Another thing is that when I travel I get paranoid and it almost seems as if I SEARCH for people who might be sick on the plane. Unlucky me, I seem to always find someone sitting close to me who needs to V and it makes me feel sick for the rest of the day. So usually on plane rides I fall asleep so I dont know whats going on. But its always when i wake up and cant fall back asleep that i see someone needing to or is going to V....which is terrifying cause I can't walk away from it.

Thanks for taking your time to hear me out.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    For the longest time I always thought I was the only one who had this phobia
    nice to know some of you in here

please post some of your experiences and how u dealt with it...
    . thanks guys.

-veeEdited by: veebum
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

Question- on the plane did you actually witness these people be ill, or did they just 'look' like they may be sick? Many people when tired (which is often the case while travelling- especially for trips across time zones) look sick, when in fact they just can't get comfortable in those damned seats, or want to get to their destination so they can sleep. It's easy to convince yourself that they are indeed ill- and if you look for it inevitably you will find someone who meets your classification for looking/acting sick. I travel often, and just got back from a trip to Australia. For the traveling aspect of it I looked like death- even the flight attendant asked if I was alright, but for once I wasn't motionsick (which is rare)- I was just tired and couldn't get comfortable. It's easy to trick your mind into seeing what it wants to see.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got two kids, 27 months and 12 months. I had horrible morning
    sickness with both of them - but I used my emet super powers and
    didn't v* once with either of them. I fought it night and day for 5
    months each time. I also didn't v* during labor and delivery. My older
    daughter v*s a lot, but I'm still emet. I just deal with it, along with
    taking some therapy. Don't let your emet keep you from having kids if
    you want them though - my kids are my greatest joy!

crimgoddess,

Thanks for your reply, but no I actually see people getting sick, I dont nessesarily see the V* but there were three incidents. The first one was the first plane trip i recall taking and my mom went to the washroom and came back and told me a little boy a few seats infront of us V-ed all over his brothers bag... and i saw the stewardess help try to clean things up. The secondtime i was sitting next to a woman who was V-ing in her motion sickness bag, and then she offered my candy and i was scared to death when she did that cause I thought if I ate it I would V too. and the 3rd time was 2 years ago when i went to Cali (beautiful place) when i was heading back to Toronto it was only a 4 hr flight and I thought that in sucha short time, no one wouldV. (Cause i usually go back to Hong Kong which is like a 15 hour flight) but this one guy got up.. and i looked at him.. and he covered his mouth and ran to the washroom... and i was sitting RIGHT INFRONT of the washroom.. I thought that if i smeled it or heard it.. that would be it...he sat ack down again.. and i was having panic and anxiety attacks already the stewardess came by and asked if they needed to throw any garbage away and he handed her "THE" bag and she had the most disgusted look on her face. You'd think that she'd be use to it by now since thats her occupation. she later went to check on the washroom and im guessing he was kinda messy.. with.. you know what. cause she came out looking like she was going to be sick.. and had to bust out a vaccum cleaner...to clean up all the junk. When it was time to get off the plane i bolted out .....i went to the washroom just to freshen myself up and splash some water on my face.. when i came out I saw him again... andI gave him the dirtiest look.. haha it was mean.. but i really couldnt control it. In June I'll be going to hong kong so thats a 15 hr flight non-stop... so i just hope no one sits next to me thats going to V*....

peachykeen,
    thanks for your reply. I just want to ask you if you had a lot of panic and anxiety attacks? and when your kids do V* do you clean it up?? and.. HOW? lol... Cause i have no idea... thanks for calming me down.
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

Veebum,

The vast majority of emet women make it through their pregnancies without vomiting. A lot even manage to avoid nausea. Most emets are very good at keeping themselves from vomiting, and many women report that a lot of time the nausea of morning sickness is mild and resistable. Many of the women who vomit will tell you they do it because they mind it less than the nausea and not because it was inevitable.

Very few people become ill on airplanes, and they all have bags in front of them just in case. I have flown over 100,000 miles, and I've never witnessed anyone vomit on a plane, and I've only been aware that someone has a couple of times. I've witnessed people vomiting on ferries, using bags, trash cans, and the side of the boat. I was much less upset by seeing this happen than I imagined I would be. Knowing I could watch someone vomit and not be disturbed by it was very empowering for me. You can gain control of your fear too. Don't deny yourself the joys of children and travel because of it. You can be strong!

Doug

it made me laugh hearing how you gave the guy a dirty look.
    haha. iw ould've done the same thing.

Hello Veebum. ^^ I'm not sure about the kids and stuff but I'll think of that when the time comes (which possibly won't be for another decade or so lol), so I really dont have any advice for that. Sorry, that all those incidents happened to you. I try to fall asleep and not wake up at all when I have to go on the plane.

You're from HK? ^^ I have yet to visit my family there. I'm scared of the flight going there. Its so long.Mydad wants to send me by myself (i'm 16). ^^;;
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

Thanks gumdropper1, sometimes I just get scared to the point where because theres the chance of V*ing if I decide to have kids so I would choose not to have them. I think most likely I'll be adopting kids and give them a chance to live happy. And the thing is.. I don't get motion sickness, never did... I just feel sick if I see someone else get sick.. although I have gotten a bit better cause a fewyears ago I started going out to go party and see ppl V* all the time... so I was better with coping with it....but then I realized that alcohol V* and food V* are two different things.. cause most of the time alcohol V* doesnt smell as bad or have that color... but what happened this one time @ school kinda re-awakened my phobia... T_T*

And Wing, haha I am from HK 2. I gotta go back to visit some family members and maybe do some partying and shopping there.. Don't worry about it, I gotta take the plane by myself bak to HK too... and im scared aswell since I alwawys have bad luck ... and see ppl.. V* on the plane.. I just hope that... whoever is sitting next to me.. doesnt V* or else... im going to... go crazy...

Wow, that seems like some unlucky flying. I have only witnessed it once, and it was a little boy who was just sick - not airplane sick. He was v* before we ever left the gate, and then all through the flight. That was the lngest 3 hours flight of my life! I have flown a lot of times, and that was the only time.

As far as pregnancy goes, I felt the same way. Eventually, though, my desire to have kids overpowered my fear of morning sickness and I decided it was worht it to give it a try. I am now 4 1/2 months pregnant and didn't have any morning sickness. Most of morning sickness can be controlled with constantly keeping food in your stomach. I felt a little n* at times, but as soon as I ate soemthing, I felt better. There are also medications out there that can help. Adopting, if that is what you decide to do, if also a great idea though. There are a lot of kids that deserve better lives than they are living.

When you are ready, you will be able to handle it. Have a great time in Hong Kong! I'm sure your flight will be fine. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hi, and welcome! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I have one child, and want another. I did have morning sickness, and I did v*. One day, I v*ed about 5 times in two hours! It was horrible. It would be for anyone, emet or not. Then I got a morning sickness drug, and that calmed things down quite a bit. I averaged one v* a week, or so. I stayed on the drug until I gave birth. I did not v* during labour, but, when asked if I wanted meds, I just wanted gravol (anti-emetic). How funny is that? No, no pain meds, just make sure I don't puke! LOL!

Anyway, that little boy was worth it. I actually thought that I was cured, since after a while i didn't much care if I v*ed or not. Then, after he was born, I didn't have time, or the energy to put into emet. It was 14 months later, that I got a sv, and realized the emet was still there.

BUT...I can't wait to have another baby!!!!!!!

Crystal

PS...sorry about your bad luck on planes [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I have had 3 kids and never v'ed!!! I just saw Debbie's ultrasound pictures and it makes me want to have another one and my youngest son is only 8 months old, ha ha. I hope that helps you to know that it is not the worst thing in the world!!

As for v'ing children, mine v more than any other kids I know, in fact, it's onlybeen a week since one of my kids was v'ing, and I have my bouts of anxiety about it, but, children are wonderful and sooooo worth all of it!!!

hi, veebum.

i also want kids in future, but i am scared of morning sickeness a lot. I think that i will can to clean if my baby V, but only when it's small. And when he V milk or something like that.

But when he is older, i dont know what i would do!

my husband will have to clean it

i have had little bad experiences with travel, but i had a baby 18 moths ago and was frightened of morning sickeness, fortunately i didnt have any, just pretty bad heartburn and bad back, but after labour they now give you an injection to help pass the after birth, which does make you feel rather ill, i thought i could fight it, but i couldnt i v*d once,that was it, then i was fine, but it didnt bother me i had the most beautiful baby in my arms and i think that even if i had morning sickness all throoughout my pregnancy it would have been worth it and i would have got through it all cause you come to realise that if thats what it takes to get your gorgeous baby into the world then thats what you have to fight for.

I've had four pregnancies, three deliveries, one was a c-section under general anesthesia, and no v* with any of them. I had pretty bad N* from morning sickness from when I was about 8weeks along and it lasted until I was 14 weeks along, especially when I was pg for my boys (for whatever reason) but not as much with my daughter. I also had some n* from the meds they gave me when I had my miscarriage, but I now know I should have asked for an anti-emetic. My last delivery was an unplanned c-section and it all happened when I was fully dilated and I about freaked out right there in the delivery room. I was a mess because I was so afraid I would v* from it. I made about 5 nurses and 2 doctors promise on a stack of Bibles they'd keep pumping me full of the anti-emetic phenergan (LOL!). Then they had to knock me out because I was hemmorhaging and I think the last thing I said as I went out was again "Make sure there's phenergan in that IV!" Not, "Gee, could you please stop me from bleeding to death." LOL!!!!

As far as dealing with my kids v*, I just take it one episode at a time, knowing that this, too, shall pass. The kids haven't flown yet (we're going for our first plane trip in March with them so I'm hoping all goes well). We do travel a lot by car and one time we went on a three week vacation out west, to Yellowstone, and my 2-year-old v* all over himself in the backseat somewhere in South Dakota. It turned out he had strep throat. At the time I was quite a mess, but now we laugh about it!

I just got over a sv, and I didn't get it from them! So far they are healthy. So either I can pat myself on the back for keeping the house squeaky clean or feel ashamed of my poor hygiene that I actually caught one that isn't easily spread! LOL!!

Randy, what did they give you to pass the afterbirth? Pitocin? I think I had that and it didn't make me v*. Did they give you the opportunity to refuse it? Just curious
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Veebum,

I feel like you are identical to how I was before kids. I almost risked ruining my marriage becuase of my emetophobia. I finally came to this board and read posts from other women saying they never got morning sickness.With the help of this board and some therapy and prozac, hah, I finally got pregnant. I went through 2 pregnancies and 2 c sections and never v*. I am so thankful. I felt some nausea that was mild, but I made sure I always had a light healthy snack. In early pregnancy it seems to help if you eat every hour or so and eat fruit or cottage cheese or something else healthy.

I hope I help give you the courage other women on here gave me. I love my two kids so much and am so much happier with them in my lives! I cannot explain how happy I am now as a mother as opposed to before I had kids when I was just a career woman.

I am worried every time I get on a plane too, but luckily, I have flown many times and never sat by or witnessed anyone v*! One time as we were waiting to get off the plane some man said he was going to so we all moved out of his way, but then later some people commented that it was just a ploy tactic to get off the plane before the rest of us.

Veebum:</span> I think you just have
    back luck when it comes to flights. I've never seen anyone v* on an
    airplane, and I've been on a flight where there was turbulance because
    we flew out during of the tail end of a thunderstorm.

Also, this isn't just directed at you but I've noticed in some of the
    various posts about travel that some of us seem to be a little
    insensitive when it comes to flight attendants. After all maybe that
    flight attendant who he handed the bag to was an emet?

mommyof3, i am unsure what it was, i was to busy trying to stop my leg falling off the bed to ask (i had an epidural, lost all feeling, am a chicken! lol!), but yes they did give me an option but they said that not having it would increase risk of hemmoraging, so i said yes, but i did ask to be given a medicine or something to stop ill feelings but they forgot to do it even though it was written in my maternity book. wasn't too pleased but got through it. It made it worse as i was in labour for almost 24 hrs with no food so midwives and partner literally nagged me to the point when i couldnt refuse a slice of toast. Maybe if i hadnt ate it it would have been ok. So no I didnt have to have injection, but its advised by midwives that you do, at my hospital anyway, doont know about elsewhere

by all means i really appriciate what flight attendants do... I was actually going to become one myself. But being a flight attendant means having to deal with V*.. same as people who work in bars. Its just that I have encountered many occasions where ppl did V* on the plane so i thot they are accustomed to it, since the bag provided is really for ppl with motion sickness. @_@ ughh I cant think about the bags... i think im gonna go get some gravol.

Veebum- you must really have some badluck with flights- I fly often, and there is only once where I can say that I noticed that someone on my flight was ill (and I'm pretty sure that she was ill before getting on the plane, as I noticed she was sweating quite profusely and had the 'sick' odour about her). I've also had some pretty rough flights- you must just be 'lucky' I guess! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

If you are interested in being a flight attendant but can't deal with vomit- have you thought about maybe being a ticket agent? My aunt is one (we're quite close- she's only a year and a half older than I am), and although it can get stressful, there are a lot of perks and room for advancement. That, and there is the bonus of being sent around the world for training/conferences, and getting super-cheap flights. And you don't have to deal with motionsickness bags!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well right now im in a Hospitality and Tourism Administration course in College. Planning to deal with Hotels and in my future job I'll probably be flying a lot.... I joined this thing so maybe i can lower my panic and anxiety attacks, and maybe get rid of my phobia all together!

I hope some of you can add me on msn if you have it. Cause I have panic and anxiety attacks a lot. If you don't mind that is. Cause the chat here doesnt work for me.

msn: [email protected]

Hotel maids have to deal with vomit a lot more often and a lot worse than flight attendants do. A full clean can involve pulling the bed out from the wall and cleaning all nearby furniture and fabrics. If she can do one of those a shift, it's all right. More than one, E.T. phone home.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Meh its okay.. I dont plan on beinga hotel maid. I'll prolly be working in Human Resources, orManager position in hotels. I never had to clean up v* before... I actually don't even know how. (x_x) but you know what? If i could clean dog poop before off my carpet I think i could do v* if i had a mask... and I didnt eat anything that night. Im not as phobic as I use to be but still is. I dont mind if the v* is from alcohol, cause then its juss from alcohol. So i kind of separated it into two categories, the alcohol v* and REAL v*... real v* being food and not alcohol induced. I think the only way to cure this is to have exposure to v* slowly.. step by step.. cause I use to feel sick when someone would just mention the word v* but i started going out more often to party and I see a lot of ppl v* all the time including my friends, and because I felt really guilty and bad that I cant be there for them that i decided I might be terrified of it, but I dont want it to overpower me and run my life... Im still in the process of overpowering it. After the first time I was there for my friend after she V* (fromt alcohol) I felt proud of myself, really REALLY proud. And ofcourse my friends knowing I have this phobia knew it took a lot of guts to be there holding their hair for them. I think the phobia that I have now is just when I need to v* or when i feel nauseous, getting panic and anxiety attacks, and seeing REAL v* in close range and not being able to walk away (ie. airplanes)