Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Welp since I've been reading some books on good IBS foods, I tried a bowl of oatmeal last night (they say oatmeal is great source of soluable fiber which is great for IBS people's guts). I did add some sugar and syrup for flavor, and it was really good. This morning though it felt like someone was stabbing my guts with a knife, and so yeah I had some d*, so umm how could that happen with IBS safe food? [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

Maybe your body isn't used to such a high source of fibre? Or did you eat it late before you went to sleep? That can cause me to get D* and feel off as your body can't digest food properly whilst you are sleeping so it just sits around. Also, did you use sweetner as that can cause D* as it is slightly laxative!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    target=\"_blank\">

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

</a>

I have IBS and my doctor told me to stay away from oatmeal products because it can cause more discomfort.
    &lt;a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

absolutely stay away form oatmeal...i can't eat it either...it's way too much fiber...and i have ibs also.....what works for some....does not work for other...when it comes to ibs....i have found that out the hard way. I have had ibs for well over 20 yrs and believe me i think i have tried just about every thing to eat...and really for me, it doesn't matter what food it is...it all depends on the day i have....some foods will do me differently at different times...it's trial and error really. Good luck.......have you tried Digestive Advantage? Buy it at Walmart...CVS....works great.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Geez, and here these books are like eat oats! Maybe its just that it was later at night when I ate it.

I guess though its different for everyone, thats the problem. Most of the time I can eat just about anything except things with lots of spices tends to get me.

Kate, what are some safe foods for you? Edited by: Galadriel

Well, actually i eat most anything really....but like you said anything spicey gets me usually. I really eat anything i want...b/c like i said before sometimes i can eat something and it will be fine...the next time i eat it...it will send me to the bathroom for hours. It's so hard to tell.....i know that bananas, rice, toast, mashed potatos, and mostly any kind of pasta are good for me.....but fried, fatty, high in sugar, are bad....chinese is awful for me. All the things i love, i shouldn't eat....have you been to the website www.ibshope.com it's very good and helpful. I love all kinds of foods and so i normally just eat what i want...and if it tears me up, then it just does.....but i also take the Digestive Advantage every day. I take one a day...and it's a chewable...it works very well for me.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I agree with Kate in the fact that it depends more on the day. That's part of the most frustrating part of IBS, you never know when it is going to flare up or what will make it happen. Sometimes I can eat spicy food and sometimes I can, it depends on the day. What bothers me one day will not bother me the next. I have pinpointed a few things to stay away from that may or may not help you....

1. Sodas of any kind, especially those with caffeine. 2. Rich foods like desserts, cheesecakes, brownies, rich chocolate, ice cream, etc. 3. Foods with a rich sause like pasta w/alfredo, cream sauces, etc.

oatmeal I do well with, I try to eat a lot of fiber, but yes, if your body isn't used to it, it may give you diharrea. Introduce more fiber slowly into your diet, not all at once, maybe an apple here and some oatmeal another day, etc.

oatmeal works well with me. maybe next time dont put all the syrupy goodness in it. i usually squirt some flaxseed oil in mine and some ground ginger, cinnamon, and a bit of ilght brown sugar.

anytime, ANYTIME, i eat sugary sweet things. like baked goods particularly.. it'll upset me. icecream i dont even BOTHER with anymore.
    and i definitely stay away from things like cream sauces, as said above.
    i try to steer clear of mexican and italian foods in general.

soups seem to be okay for me. potato soups. brothy soups. rice soups. rice in general. whole wheat pastas. PITAS and HUMMUS=fabulous! applesauce is really good too.

like others say. sometimes it REALLY doesnt matter the food, but matters the day.

it stinks like that.
    try to relax a lot. find relaxing music and stress relief videos.
    and usually when i am not feeling all wound or worried about something or etc.. im able to handle foods better.

P.S.
    the new SPRING VOGUE..has a whole article in it about IBS!
    it was so exciting to read!
    it had some interesting info about treatment.

Now this is weird. I have terrible IBS, and I can eat oatmeal. It's really good for you. If it's bothering you, trying eating it a little slower. I seem to be able to eat anything. Yes, certain foods do bother my stomach, but I've noticed that when I eat foods that do bother it, I try to eat slower, and I seem not to have a problem. Around PMS time, forget it. I can eat anything, and I usually end up in the toilet. Not every month, but a lot. Oh Well. Hope you find some foods that are more comforting to your stomach.[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

The foods I do best with are fruits and high-carb foods like breads, pastas, rice, potatoes, etc. I have found Wendy's baked potatoes (plain) to be the best choice for my IBS as far as fast food goes.

My trigger foods are dairy, spicy foods, greasy foods, and caffeine. I am kind of surprised to hear people mention sugary things because I actual do fine with those (except ice cream of course, but that is because of the dairy). Basically, I have found I can eat pretty much anything as long as it is in moderation. I absolutely cannot have dairy on an empty stomach. Bagels with cream cheese for breakfast are a guaranteed bathroom invitation for me. But, if I have eaten a good dinner, I can eat a small bowl of ice cream since there is enough other stuff in my stomach to mix it with.

Everyone is different with what they can and can't eat. I found that the IBS books about diet usually listed a lot of fods I don't like (I'm a really picky eater). My advice is to just keep track of what you eat in a day and how you felt. You will notice patterns (like dairy or fiber) of foods that trigger you.

A lot of my IBS is also psychologically induced. It will flare up when I am stressed or worried, no matter what I have eaten. When yours flares up, try to keep track of whether it happens when you are stressed or not. I have found some things that really helped me control that part of my IBS. Now if I could only control my cravings for chocolate milk . . . . [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]Edited by: sillygirl

You know what I have noticed, the more I think about IBS the more my guts seem to act up. I think for me one of the best things is to just try to forget about it and not focus on it because I think sometimes I can cause it to come about just thinking about it. I've noticed my best times were when I wasn't under any stress or pressure, and I wasn't thinking about it at all. Does anyone else notice this too? Its funny because with emet its different, coming on here and talking when I don't feel good actually helps me rather than makes me feel worse. I don't know why that is....

I can understand that, the more I think about it the more nervous I get...but I definitely wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean I think it erally depends on how your IBS acts, you'll have to have a trial and error period of things. I know that I have IBS w/ constipation, so ever once in a while I'll get d* with it, but usually I'm just ridiculously constipated, sorry if this whole thing bugs anyone. but high fiber foods don't work for everyone, they tend to do nothing to me which isn't good beacuse I'd like them to do something!