Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phenergan

i know someone just talked about this...
    but im truly wondering if anyone has taken this when they were
    really actually sick and if it kept the n* and v* away...?

the side effects sound awfully scary..
    have you who have taken it experienced them?

Hi liz28, here in the UK Phenergan is sold over the counter as a sleep aid called Sominex and i have taken it with no problems, i have taken it when i have felt very nauseous and it has calmed my tum right down and has helped me sleep. I can honestly say that i have had none of the side effects that have been listed in the information leaflet. Thing is everyone is different, so what works for some might not work for others[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

Trinity

What are the side effects?

I took Phenergan for my 2nd pregnancy and all it did was make me real sleepy. My sick feeling was at night with this one so that was fine by me. I just went to bed early and I slept through the night. I think it helps.

Hi, I take Phenergan every night to sleep. I used it for my nausea originally as needed with no side effects EXCEPT being knocked out in a deep sleep. If I don't allow about 8 hours of sleep, I wake up very groggy and still drowsy. It works like a charm for nausea and allowed me to eat well. I still use it at night but only a very small dose so I can sleep since I have anxiety at nights. A pregnant friend of mine used it about a month ago and she said the same thing. She was extremely drowsy. You yawn a lot. You MUST be careful when driving. Never take it if your driving or doing something dangerous. What are the side effects anyway? I don't remember since I threw the leaflet away. You should try it. It will work for 4 to 6 hours.

Best wishes,

Jess
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

I took it with my last sv and I didn't feel n* as long as it was in my system, but it didn't make me feel "good"--I still felt sick (but not n*). Then, when it wore off, sure enough, I had a terrible wave of n*. As soon as I got past that and felt like I could swallow something I took another one. Yes, it makes you very sleepy, but it was great sleep that day not worrying about waking up feeling n*. I feel like I felt more like myself faster with this one because I actually slept when I was sick. Usually when I have a sv I am too wound up to sleep.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Liz, I'm a nursing studentand we use phenergan all the time in the hospital as an anti-emetic (I've never had a patient with sv, but they get n* b/c of their meds or surgery or some other condition). It's pretty much the anti-emetic of choice in the hospital where I'm at. I've never seenbad side effects to it, except sleepiness, which is usually welcomed by patients inhospital or people with sv who want to get some rest and sleep off the illness.There are bad side effects to almost every drug, but usually they happen very rarely. I'm thinking of ordering some phenergan from the UK to have on hand just in case [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

by the way, I've never personally taken this drug, but it seems to do the job pretty well. Hope this helps.

Nikki

Wait...Sominex = Phenergan? Is it really the same thing? Sominex is sold over the counter in the US isn't it?
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

mjewell, Sominex in the US does not contain phenergan. You can't get phenergan over the counter in the US. Sominex over here contains diphenhydramine, which is more commonly known as the allergy drug Benadryl. It is an antihistamine, which means it has *some* power to dull nausea, but not enough for it to really be used as an anti-emetic.

Nikki

Well I bought it today over the counter this afternoon its sitting on my drugs cabinet just incase i need it..

I told the woman over the counter that it was for severe travel sickness because i didnt really want to explain that im an emet ect you know?

xVx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a prescription for Phenergan. I asked my doc for it just to get me thru the nausea caused by anxiety. It never occurred to me that I'd be using it also to not v*, but it has come in handy for that too. Anyway, for the anxiety part I just wanted it to calm my stomach and put me to sleep, then I'd wake up and the panic would be gone. For the times I've had a sv, there has been one time that I took it and still v* 2 hours later. A couple times I've had it in an IV because I was so dehydrated and v* so much and it REALLY helped. We have it at the house in suppository form for my son and I'll take those if I can't keep the pill form down. We also have it as an injection for really bad cases. My mom's a nurse so luckily we can come by Phenergan easily!

When I use it for anxiety though, I just take like 1/4 of a pill. It's enough to put me to sleep. If I take the whole thing or even half, I'm only half-functioning the next day.
    Proud to be a FIREFIGHTER\'S GIRLFRIEND!!

Nikki- when you figure out how to order the Phenegran from the UK, will
    you email and let me know? I have no idea how or where to order from.

[email protected]

Those who would like to order Sominex from the UK i've been looking around for you and i think you can order from this site http://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/index.asp

But you may have a problem with customs, here is what they say

With respect to the supply of medicines to the USA, you understand that this supply is subject to the control of the US Customs and the FDA as they cross the US border which may result in delay or non-delivery of your order. Pharmacy2U Ltd cannot guarantee an exact delivery time of your order and in instances where your order is seized by US customs, Pharmacy2U Ltd will not be able to offer a refund for orders not delivered under these circumstances. You agree and understand that it is your responsibility to prepare for any delays that may occur in obtaining your order from Pharmacy2U Ltd, and further that in the event of US customs seizing your order, the cost of the order will be born by you in full

I would say to those of you that would like some that as i am in the UK i would get some for you and post them on but i don't know if the same problem with customs would occur? If you are interested please pm me and we can give it a whirl[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Trinity

Phenergan doesn't make me tired at all. I've never had any of the side effects listed either.

Violet:</span> Okay what you said got
    me curious. Are the stores in the UK just really different or what
    because...why did you have to give her an explanation at all?

If it's available for anyone to get over the counter it's none of her business why you're buying it!

Edited by: chicajojobe

I live in the US, and I just ordered Phenergan from Pharmacy 2U about a week ago. I haven't received them yet, but I will let you know if I do. If not, maybe I will work something out with you, Trinty, to see if you could get some and send it to me.

Let me know what happens with that Phenergen order too! that would be exciting if it works!!!! my doc gave me a prescription for it a while back just because i explained the phobia to him and i have experiences no ill side effects...it does make me a bit drowsy but I kinda like that

on another note, when does the SV start to calm down??? we are almost in march and it seems like i am still hearing horror stories from people every day at work...when can i relax a bit????????????????????????

Hello, I'm new here but not new to this fear.

As to taking Phenergan...I use it and I also have Compazine. The Phenergan works really well for n* but when I had the sv last Valentines Day it didn't help at all. I v*d for the first tiem in over 21 years! I couldn't handle that so I went to the Emergency Room to get a shot of Phenergan. THAT helped. The Dr. told me that sometimes with the SV it can be too far "advanced" to stop it with just a pill.

I have not had any problems getting the prescription for the pills but man what I wouldn't do for the INJECTION form. I have 3 children 2 girls ages 6 and almost 8 then I have a son that is 2. The oldest daughter is an OCD Emet. and the son is also an emet. We all had the SV last year and I would have LOVED to be able to give the kids a shot to stop their V*ing. ESPECIALLY the oldest. She was having one panic attack after another when she got sick. It was awful

tshell

Interesting..I wonder where the threshold is as far as what constitutes the virus being "too far along"..i probably should not, but whenever my tummy feels a bit off, I pop a phenergen. has anyone else actually gotten sick after taking the medication????

tshell,

I am very curious about your experience after 21 years. I just had my 22 year anniversary last month. What was it like? How did you know it was "time"? How many times were you sick?

My children had come down with it the Friday before. My son had just turned 1 and we had gotten Happy Meals. He had a hamburger (chopped into bite sized pieces) well while eating he got sick. We thought he had just choked on a peice of burger. I got the highchair cleaned up while my mom cleaned him up. This was a HUGE step for me as I haven't EVER done that before. I left and went out on a date AFTER my mom convinced me he was ok. The next thing I knew, she calls and says my middle child had gotten sick and my son had done it again! The shakes started...anyhow I went to work on Valentines Day feeling fine but by lunch I felt drained and kinda puny. So I didn't eat much for lunch. By the time I got home (5:30) I felt really sick. I went to my mom's (she lives next door) and told her that I wasn't feeling well. She told me that I needed to eat that I was probably just hungry. Well I ate some microwaveable mac &amp; cheese and a sugar cookie. I told her that I felt worse and I went home (she kept the kids). That is when the D* hit! OH BOY! just pure water! then the N* hit! UGH! I took a Phenergan and rubbed Phenergan cream on my wrists. Well the D* got worse and more frequent. I called my "safe person" and he came to me around 9. Well the D* and N* were still there. I called my mom and begged her to pray for me 'cause I was gonna V* she told me that I wasn't because I was stronger than that. I told her yes I was I could feel it. By then I was having little rolls and heaves just in my tummy, I kept swallowing and doing my breathing that usually worked. The D* hit again and I ran to the toilet. While there the "rolls" got stonger and then the heaves got harder. I called my safe person in there and he held my hand and I put my head into the trash can and the tummy rolled again and heave and then it happened. I actually "heaved" 3 times back to back. I hung up with my mom and called 911!

I did it again in the ER. I went to the restroom because of the D* and it happened again. This time was much worse I couldnt' even breathe during this one I started having a panic attack. I pulled the Help cord becasue it was so bad. My safe person actually had to hit me on my back to get me to inhale. During that instance I think it was 3 more actual "heaves" then I stopped breathing. After that I got my shot of Phenergan.

I was proud of myself for actually doing the deed for all of 2 minutes. Then I was horrified that it had happened and that I couldnt control myself or it.

I now live in even BIGGER fear of getting the SV. My hands are raw and red from washing and Purell. I avoid going out with my friends and going to their house. If I go shopping, I wash the buggy with Purell wipes and I constantly wash my hands during the trip. I don't allow my children to go shopping and they are greatly cut back on activites with the Church.(parents constantly bring their kids there while they are sick). My children are homeschoold so I don't worry about school.

They had doctors appointments this week. My mom took them and the can of Lysol. She sprayed the Doctors office down before letting the kids touch ANYTHING.

I don't believe in the idea that to "just do it" will "cure" me and I don't believe that "exposure" will cure me either.

tshell

That story is like a total depiction of what i live in fear of...Its wierd though, I feel like a couple of times I have had SV but have only had the D* aspect, no V*..is it possible that my brain just wont let it happen? even when sick???????????

I DO believe that it is actually possible to have the sv and NOT v. I honestly believe that I have done it a couple of times. It is just that this particular "bug" was really badand it was just stronger than my will.

tshell

Gotcha....I just got married and live in total fear of having kids for all of those reasons..I just actually started seeing a counselor about a month ago so we will see if it helps! we are supposed to start something called cognitive behavioral therapy or something? ever heard of it?

Nope I haven't. I have seen the ads to some clinic that is supposed to "cure" me. Yeah sure for $1,400 bucks and up?! I don't have that kind of money! I am a single mom with no child support. So there goes that idea.

tshell

luckily my insurance approved me to visit my therapist once a week for a year and they will foot the majority of the bill! i count my lucky stars, if i learn some useful tools i will most certainly share then with the group. i have suffered from this for 25 years so if they can cure me, kudos.

I received my Phenergan today! There were no problems having it sent from the UK to the US.

chicajojobe, its stuck in the back pharmacy in a box that the doctor may perscribe it to you, Its not that I Had</span> to explain to her about it,I felt awkward buying it and her maybe asking why so I gave her a story before she asked as I dont really want to talk about my emet in a busy pharmacy with loads of people staring at me!

The funny thing is i pysched myself up to go to the pharmacy to buy some, I asked for phernergan (and had my reasons ready) and the pharmacist said yes and gave me them. He didnt ask for an explanation ornothing!!

I didnt think it would be that easy!!

I have yet to take thembut have them for emergencies!!

Laney

what was the website that you got it from? how long did the delivery take and how much was it???? thats awesome!