Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My 15 year class reunion is on a Carnival Cruise. I just sent off my deposit, but am freaking out a little. Has anyone gone on a cruise on Carnival? I am worried about the Norwalk Virus, as well as motion sickness! I hope I won't be carried off to the insane asyllum while on the cruise. It is not until October, so I have some time to research to make myself feel better about it.

I did read that the Norwalk Virus has only affected about 4% of those that were on the ship when the virus broke out. So, I am not as worried, but the motion sickness is what I feel might freak me out. Can you feel the boat moving?

I have visions of b*** bags lining the walls of the ship!

To be honest I would love to go on a cruise someday, but I also have trepidation about it! Visions of me....you know...[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I think though that if you take plenty of dramamine or some other sort of motion sickness remedy then you should be fine. Thank God for things like that!

I knew of a couple who were on a cruise when the norwalk virus broke out and they didn't catch it!

I have never been on a cruise and am afraid of going on one for this reason. I know someday I'll be able to do it, though

We just returned from a trip to the Bahamas and I had my doctor give me a prescription for some phenergan "just in case." I didn't take it the whole time I was on the trip, but it was such reassurance to have those 12 little pills in my purse! Maybe you can ask your doctor for a small prescription just to have for peace of mind.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I went on a cruise about eight years ago, we were sailing from England to Boston and travelled through the Arctic circle and hit a bad storm. A lot of people got motion sickness, but I was ok. You could feel the ship moving a lot during the storm, but it didn't bother me. When the ocean was calm you really couldn't feel it move at all. If you're not the kind of person who usually gets motion sickness, you should be ok. There also a lot of things you can take to prevent it, like Dramamine and phenergan.

I was a mild emet at the time but I didn't have any knowledge of Norwalk virus and how it can hit cruise ships....now that I know I'm not sure I'll be able to take another cruise anytime soon! LOL.

Nikki

I am a travel agent and have been on 4 Carnival cruises, a Royal Caribbean cruise, and the Disney cruise and never caught the Norwalk virus. It seems like there are tons of outbreaks on cruise ships.....but believe me, there really is not.Cruises are such a wonderful way to vacation and you will have A GREAT TIME! I would def. not hesitate at all to go on a cruise even as an emet since the chances for you to get motion sickness or the Norwalk Virus are very slim. Go and have a wonderful time! I have sent tons of people on cruises and have never had anyone who doesn't like it.

Melanie,

I have not taken a bona fide cruise but I have been on many ferries, on rides lasting as long as a day and a half. People who have done it have told me that they were not bothered by the motion. Yes, there are barf bags in racks along the walls, but not very many people use them.

I was on one particular ferry ride that was very turbulent, and I did see some people vomiting, but I couldn't feel anything different myself as a result of the motion (other than it was hard to walk and a bad idea to lock your knees). I took a Bonine pill ahead of time, but having never been motion sick, I can't say that the Bonine made a difference. But I have a friend who did get motion sickness to the point of vomiting on a whale watching trip once, and I suggested she take Bonine for her next sailing, and she said the Bonine made all the difference.

As an emet, surely you're able to resist the urge to purge even if you were to get motion sick. There are plenty of good remedies. Besides Bonine, there is the scopalamine patch and the accupressure wrist bands. And of course Dramamine, which is more primitive than Bonine and makes most people sleepy.

I wouldn't worry about the Norwalk virus. There isn't much of that going around in October.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your advice everyone! I need to make sure I do go to
    the Doctor beforehand for some phenergan! Great idea! Have
    a good night everyone.

Go and have a good time. My friend who has this phobia is going on a cruise.She and her husband are going in April I think for their anniversary. They are going with 2 other couples.
    She is so excited, she has her anti-nausea pills and imodium. I asked her if she is nervous about getting sick with the Norwalk and she said a little bit but she said she won't let worrying ruin her trip!

Have a great time!!

<DIV>I have been on three crusies and no problems &lt;knocking on wood&gt;</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>When all that stuff happened in 2003 or 2004 with the Norwalk I was like, never again, but, they seem to have gotten under control. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I just wonder, how come this stuff never dies? Mom always said cold weather killed germs, I am not so sure anymore, did she say that to make us feel better?</DIV>

I've only been on three cruises, one of which was a Mediterranean cruise so we were near Greece, Rome, etc. and for whatever reason there were quite a few people who got sick, my dad being one of them. It wasn't a virus, but people got violent sea sickness. Is the cruise you're going on the in Caribbean? If so, I've never heard of anyone who's gotten sick on those waters. I think you should go, cruises are amazing and the most fun I've had in my whole life!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I have been on a cruise. It was before the days of Norwalk and before my emet was as bad as it is. I had a wonderful time though. I wore a patch behind my ear for motion sickness and didn't feel sick once. I think that if there was a outbreak of Norwalk - if you stayed clean you should be fine. Us emets are usually alot better at avoiding germs.

I've been on a cruise, and i'm going on another one in June. Go and enjoy yourself. Take dramamine w/ you in case of the motion sickness, but, the boats are so big, you should be fine. Have a great time!!
    &lt;a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

hi i also have the same worries i am going in october and praying i dont get motion sickness. I will take supplies with me just in case but i am still nervous. have a great time