Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Before V* (or when i think im going to V*)sometimes I get hot flashes, I sweat, and then get really cold to the point i shake and its this uncontrolable shaking (most of the time accompanied by severe stomaches). and it almost feels like my entire body is cold. And I get this feeling over me when I think im almost there where its this cold feeling that goes from ur tailbone up to ur head (almost as if the V* is coming up and theres a breezy sensation that goes up ur body) and thats the feeling I fight the most, and i have to clench my fist and try to control my breathing (because from what i heard you do this breathing thing before you v*) and stablize it. If i do have to V* the feeling of the breeziness gets very cold and I think my brain is telling me that i should run to the bathroom before its too late and in my head Im always thinking ("omg omg its coming, im going to v*, im going to v*" and i just close my eyes and try to think happy thots like when other ppl did it and it wasnt actually so bad, or they treated it like it was nothing, and i just keep telling myself its not so bad its not so bad and its almost over.)I was just wondering if anyone here has the same thing...

this is kinda random, but i was just wondering if anyone in here goes thru the same thing i do.

Thanks,
    -vee Edited by: veebum
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

Quote Originally Posted by veebum
    get hot flashes, I sweat, and then get really cold to the point i shake
    and its this uncontrolable shaking (most of the time accompanied by
    severe stomaches). and it almost feels like my entire body is cold. And
    I get this feeling over me when I think im almost there where its this
    cold feeling that goes from ur tailbone up to ur head (almost as if the
    V* is coming up and theres a breezy sensation that goes up ur body
    wow. that was the EXACT feeling i got last time i was actually sick, but by the time i get to that point i think there is no going back! it would be interesting to see if non-emet folks get the same feeling, or wether its sheer panik, and maybe getting ill wouldn't be so traumatic if we didn't panik. don't worrry though, i thought i was the only one who got all these weird feelings but obviously not!

jen
    Edited by: jenneth
    <font color=GREEN>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </font>

Something important I mention in the Vomiting FAQ is that there's a series of breathing steps one must go through in order to vomit, and by keeping these steps from happening, the person is able to prevent vomiting, perhaps indefinitely. On the other hand, if the person wants to vomit, the easiest way is to try those breathing steps. It's all in the Vomiting FAQ.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by jenneth
    Quote Originally Posted by veebum
    get hot flashes, I sweat, and then get really cold to the point i shake and its this uncontrolable shaking (most of the time accompanied by severe stomaches). and it almost feels like my entire body is cold. And I get this feeling over me when I think im almost there where its this cold feeling that goes from ur tailbone up to ur head (almost as if the V* is coming up and theres a breezy sensation that goes up ur body
    wow. that was the EXACT feeling i got last time i was actually sick, but by the time i get to that point i think there is no going back! it would be interesting to see if non-emet folks get the same feeling, or wether its sheer panik, and maybe getting ill wouldn't be so traumatic if we didn't panik. don't worrry though, i thought i was the only one who got all these weird feelings but obviously not!

jen

I'm not scared of myself vomitting, and I usually feel the same way before it happens. Although I don't get the cold thing- I just feel incredibly hot and somewhat faint, and get warmer until I actually vomit. There is a degree of panic (mostly due to the 'is this it or not?'), but once I know for sure that I'm going to vom, I just let go and feel 10 times better afterwards.

I'm telling you, anything is better than feeling horribly nauseous for hours on end. I would rather vomit for a minute or two and then be able to at least settle down and get some sleep as opposed to trying to hold it in and feel absolutely disgusting for hours on end.

*amber*

I'm an emet and omg, I feel warm and have clammy hands at the same time while feeling faint. I begin to panic big time and well, I fight it and resist mentally as well as swallowing to counteract the reflex of gagging which is an upward involuntary motion our esophagus undergoes. I've been successful all my life except once last year but I only heaved twice. I panic so much that I'd rather deal with the nausea because I feel I'm an expert at it than vomiting. I have no experience there and don't care to have it. I am determined to fight it all my life if I must until my Godgets me through this phobia. I'm glad I'm not the only whohas felt this way. Thanks guys for being courageous and honest. It takes great courage and guts to admit something like this.

Cansomeone send me a private message with the link to thebreathing steps to avoid vomiting? I'm interested in learning new techniques to combat this if Iever need it.

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

I looked over the site and couldn't find the breathing steps either. Can
    someone post them?

I feel the same way before I V*...exactly the same way...and yeah about those breathing steps can someone post them? I'd really like to know what they are!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I dont know if i do the breathing steps the right way.. but I usually try to avoid deep breathing.. i try to breath normally.. that usually works..

but thanks a lot for the replies, cause thoes panic/anxiety attacks are the worst!, but most of the time it subsides and I feel normal again...I heard the panic and anxiety attacks are equal to the panic/anxiety attacks other ppl get when they are in danger, or when they think they are going to die. Maybe its cause of that... we are so scared of it? maybe??...

But really.. thanks a lot cause I thought I was the only one going through that.. before vomiting or.. when I think im going to vomit. It really calms me down that Im not the only one....

That feeling is horrible...Edited by: veebum
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

Last time I had a sv I got a cold flash before I got sick so now
    whenever I'm anxious I panic if I start feeling cold and tingly.
    Especially if the feeling migrates to my neck or my face. Ugh, it's
    awful.

<DIV>
    Quote Originally Posted by chicajojobe
    Last time I had a sv I got a cold flash before I got sick so now whenever I'm anxious I panic if I start feeling cold and tingly. Especially if the feeling migrates to my neck or my face. Ugh, it's awful.
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I think many of us can put many ideas in our heads during this traumatic time. Monday night I was pacing back in forth in the living room. My wife thought I was nuts, she says she just sits in the bathroom and waits, I figure if I never get there, I can walk it off. I really have found that pacing helps me not v* and if I lay down or sit still I get so sick to my stomach. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Anyway, the more you know, the more you can put in your head! I know this is what I do!</DIV>
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

I get the chills, my mouth waters profusely (that's the worst feeling in the world!) and I fall into such a panic that I pretty much forget everything leading up to v*ing. I shake, sweat, and have cold flashes all at the same time. And, after I do v*, I cry about it and can barely breathe for about an hour. It's the worst thing ever [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I cannot remember the last time I actually V*, which for me is the hardest part about everything. I just don't know my body well enough and I never know if I am really going to be sick or if I'm just extremely nauseated. I believe if I knew what to expect before I were to V*, I could relax more --- but the unknown about kills me internally!!!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I'm with you purpleteacher. If I knew how to tell what my body was telling me I think I would be able to calm down. I have no idea what I feel like before hand - the last time I did I was like 9 and I'm 30 now. I was so panicky the last time I can't tell the difference between panic and v*.

I get those feelings too - its awful! the whole build up of shakes and sweats and chills is probably worse than the v* in a waycos there's always a little uncertainty ofif its gonna happen or not...Ohand the watery mouth is AWFUL!!

Thewhole process is horrendous and just the worst thing..

<font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I get really jittery and shaky,I have hot flashes and cold sweats too. The watery mouth also gets me.I have to pace the floor. I can not sit still. If I am still then it gets worse. I have to have someone there with me. I also noticed that is seem to shake my hands. Kind of like rotating them and stuff. I also have little nervous "twitches" in my shoulders.

tshell

iget the same feelings as alot of you do before v*. I get all shaky,i gethot and cold flashes like mad, i cant talk at all because im so paniked and scared. &amp;&amp; Whenever i get these feelings i run to the kitchen, grab a water bottle and run to the bathroom. I sit there sipping slowly, hoping these feelings will go away and i wont have to v*. It sucks to be alone doing it also. If i think i have time, or if im just a little n* i take this medicine called Malox. It helps so much.

I don't understand you people who don't like to be alone when you are N* I mean when I get N* I totally flip out and can't be around ANYONE. I always have to be by myself when I get N* cause I feel if I talk or move or something then I'll V*. I usually just curl up and watch TV until the feeling passes.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I think the reason I have to have someone there is so I KNOW if something bad does happen (I stop breathing when I V*) there is someone to help me. I also think my emet stems from my mom not being there for me when I was younger and got sick. She would just tell me to go to the bathroom she didn't want it all over the place. I felt so much more secure when Matt (boyfriend) was there last year holding my hand. tshell

Well we all have different ways of coping with nausea and vomiting. For me I am like Monica, I can't be around anyone when I feel like Im going to v*, and before joining this I usually just sit on my bed and try to think of something else. But I heard when you pace around it helps too.. I tried that a week ago when i was feeling sick. It really helped. But as for watching Tv I can't be in a place with too much noise, when i watch tv while i feel sick I feel even sicker. But yea recently my stomach has been feeling ... pretty bad. -.-* but havent vomited yet. I don't know if I have to or if im just thinking too much

-Vee

I too need to have preferably my husband who is strong and was there for me the first time I had a major F10 panic attack. He was calm about it instead of panicking with me. He was there to get rid of the food, change the channel that had the food commercials, bring me water, a warm washcloth, a trash canister etc. Then he sat there next to me encouraging me that it would be ok. He was there for me to ask questions from his experience like, " Omg, what is happening to me? Do you feel this way too when you v*? Why do I feel like...... when I v*? He answered my questions and reminded me to relax so that my whole body could relax instead of react to my ways of panicking. Also too, if I should faint or pass out like I thought it nearly happened, he would be there to help me himself or take me the hospital since this was night time. We don't have 24 hr. clinics. However, I recently asked myself if it would be wiser or worth a try to stand alone w/o anyone so in case I did v*, I had NO CHOICE but to give myself tough love and FORCE myself to tough it out and then be proud after achieving this alone knowing that if it happened again, I'd be ok. Instead I feel that by having someone only gives us the permission to become vulnerable. What do you all think about my theory? How many of you think this could POSSIBLY work? I was willing to try it a few days ago when I thought it was going to happen but it never happened. So let me know what you think about this theory if you can imagine it.

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

I guess in a way. Im very kept to myself I don't like having ppl see my weakness ie. vomiting.....when i was younger my mom would always coincidentally be there when i had to v* whenever i felt sick to my stomach I would always just sit on the tolit and hope that this feeling goes away, nmy mom would always be there. Now I just don't want anyone to see me "feel sick" or "be sick" I see it as a sign of weakness, I feel very strong about being independant and i guess you can say I try not to MAKE someone be there for me (whether they volunteer to or not) and when they are really concerned about me I feel bad for telling them to go away because I feel like this is my own burden and itshould never be the burden of someone else... + i need silence when i feel sick. I guess we all have different ways of adapting to how we overcome this problem ... Pumpkin im really glad that you have people that are there for you no matter what situation, and can offer you comfort.

WHERE ARE THOSE BREAHING STEPS, GUMDROPPER? Can you post a separate site for them??? Thanks

ive only ever been sick like three times, once from alcohol(i have not drnk since), and once i was asleep so i didnt really know what was coming, it just happened. the other time tho, i just had really really painful stomach ache, so painful i was crying, and it just came. its weird tho i always always think im going to be sick and i get a lump in my throat which feels like my food trying to come up, and once i asked someone what they felt like when they were about to be sick because i really dont know, and they said they got a lot of spit in their mouth. i really ish i hadnt asked this questio because every time that happens i am convinced i am going to be sick, and every time i think i am going to be sick it happens, even tho i never noticed it before. now i dont know if this is psychological and becuase im so scared of being sick it happens, but one of the things i hate most about my fear is that i really wouldt kow if i was going to be sick, so i am constantly afraid of it happening.

Yea i had vomited 3 times where I had the insane pain in the stomach... haha thats the only want to describe it... I remember a few months ago my friend was over and i felt like i was going to die because my stomach was hurting like crazy.. I havent had that kinda pain for the past 3 - 5 years so it was so surprising and i told my friend to go downstairs and eat and watch tv cause I just need to be alone and lie on my bed... the funny thing was I havent eaten for the entire day it was 8pm wen it happened. So i was just wondering if i was going to vomit what the hell was going to come up if there was nothing. I remember I was thinking that I would rather be giving birth than going thru this!!! But in the end it turns out it was juss cause I didnt eat and my stomach acid was burning. -.-*

Gagging is particularly scary for me, because although I haven't v*d in 11 years, I have dry heaved several times since then, and I always start a new year convinced its going to happen sometime soon...its almost as scary as actually v*ing, for me. I have an overactive imagination, which is great for storywriting and being creative, but an absolute nightmare for an emet. On the rare occasion that I will feel n*, my brain goes into overdrive and all these horrible thoughts start going through my head and I can't control them, and so it's usually because I'm thinking about v*ing that I end up almost doing it. Blahh, I hate it so much!! I wish I could turn my mind off whenever I feel sick.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"