Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

It's 9:32am in Ottawa, Canada- and the temp is -8C (feels like -17 with the windchill) and I couldn't be happier! This winter has been crap in terms of conditions- too warm, rainy- we'd get a decent snowfall, and then it would go up to +2 and it would melt again. I love skating- especially outdoors, and have only been able to go once so far because the canal kept melting (the Rideau Canal in Ottawa is the world's longest skating rink- not the best conditions, but good excercise). I hope that it stays like this at least for another month!

I know that many of you here have a hate-on for winter- but have any of you actually gone out there and made the most of it? I'm originally from Northern Ontario, where you are guaranteed snow for 6-7 months of the year- you either make the most of it, or are perpetually grouchy. Does anyone here ski, snowboard, skate, go snowshoeing, toboganning, etc? Would love to hear from others who don't view winter solely as stomach virus season.

*amber*

(go Canadian Women! Gold Medal Final for hockey today!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I absolutely love winter. we dont get much snow in south east england but when we do im first out to go sledging and make snowmen. I dont even think about winter as the sv season, i think of it as fun season (if it snows).

YAY!

In front of the main building of my campus, a group of ambitious (and probably intoxicated people) have created a snowman massacre- it was quite a sight to behold, I wish I would have taken pictures! they used twigs to make snowmen frowney-faces and angry eyebrows, and had two snowmen throwing snowballs at a third- who had snowball-sized chunks taken out of him. They also had put crime-scene tape around a few trees, and had a snowman lyring broken on the ground, and a 'spectator' watching with his/her mouth open in shock.

Creative genious or too much time on their hands?

Glad to see someone else likes playing in the snow!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I used to be a competitive figure skater, so I was out in the cold all the time. I still hate winter, though, always have - even without the emet thing. The figure skating was tolerable because you'd work out so much that you would end up sweating within 10 minutes of getting on the ice. I miss it!!!

I also feel bad for my puppy in this weather. She can't go outside without her paws freezing to the ground, and then she cries and cries. We've tried putting booties on her, and preemie sized baby socks, but her paws are just too darn small. It needs to warm up just enough so that my little puppy can go potty!!!
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

My girlfirend plays for the Great britian team in womens ice hockey so I spend alot of time down the rink getting colds and screaming till my lungs fall out.

I dont tend to hate winter to much personally but since ive had 3 colds now its beggining to get to me.

I eat well apart from the ocasional slip up of crackers and cheese haha and take excercise but still winter will put me into a pannic at some points with the norfolk virus floating around ect can never be to careful..

but yes winter isnt to bad,if it would for once actually snow in scotland id be happier though.

Kel- have you thought about taking a recreational figure skating class? I have a few friends who do it- even though I have never seen the appeal of figure skating....I say give 'em sticks and make part of the program involve chasing and/or beating someone. Now that would be a sport!

Feel bad for your puppy! I had a similar issue with one of my cats- he would come is with piss-sickles on his tail and legs. Yet, he would still refure to go in his litter box- only outside. Silly cat. Have you taked to your vet? maybe she has another suggestion as for puppy foot apparel.

Violet- your GF plays hockey for Great Britain? That's so cool! I used to play, but quit to focus on academics. I can see how winter may not be socool without snow- for me that's the main point!

*amber*

Amber - piss-sicles - I love it!!! Maybe I will talk to the vet and see if they have any ideas.

There is a skating rink/rec center in our area, and I may look to see if I can practice or coach there (or both). I want to get through my therapy first, then I'll have more cash to devote to fun activities. I'm also planning a wedding, which is a huge cash drain (why didn't we decide to elope?).

I won't be watching hockey on the Olympics, but I will be glued to the ladies figure skating. Go Sasha Cohen!!
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Hahahaha- yeah, the wedding thing can definitely be a huge time/money trap. A lot of my friends and family have taken the big plunge in the past little while- I have learned that a cash bar, especially with my family, is a way to go. I know people who have made back the entire cost of their wedding- and I for one plan on exploiting my family's alcoholism for my financial gain My boyfriend and I are starting to talk about the big 'M'- god help us all, it's going to be a freakshow. My gay male best friend is going to be the maid of honour, and I want a massive red silk gown. Couple that with the fact that my boyfriend's parents havent spoken in 20 years (they will literally hang up on each other if one calls), and its going to be quite the evening.

Definitely look into skating or coaching once things settle down a bit- I'm tempted to look into volunteering to help coach hockey myself-I can't imagine anything more fun than being out on the ice with a bunch of little kids. They are HILARIOUS when they are in that stage of just learning how to skate.

Hmmmm...I'm sure your vet would know something that may help your little guy. I can see this being a common problem with puppies in winter- what breed is it? Do you have any pictures?

Goodluck with the therapy and wedding plans! Hope that they don't get you too stressed out (and when in doubt- delegate!)

*amber* (an hour and a half until the women's hockey finals- GO CANADA!)

PS- I dont watch figure skating per se....I just watch the highlights because they always show the best falls. I know, I'm horrible!

Speaking of how much I love Winter and Winter Sports- Can I get a Woot for the Canadian women winning the gold medal in Hockey? Hopefully the Canadian men's team were watching so they can see how it's done!

And also another Woot for Sweden for making it to the final- Women's hockey is finally getting some depth, and 4 years from now the story won't just be Canada and the US.

Go Women!

*amber*

I don't dislike winter b/c of sv season. Sv season is all year round. I don't like it b/c it's too cold, gloomy, dreary, and depressing. Not to mention that everything is dead. I lived up north all of my life. I'm in Florida now and would never go back. Maybe for a visit in the summer or fall. I love the tropical area I live in now. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I couldn't be happier!!!!
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

Sorry Violet but I had to giggle at Norfolk Virus (it's Norwalk) because a.) I'm originally from Norfolk and b.) if what I hear is right then thats where it has been teehee. Winter makes me very depressed in terms of light so I try to get out as much as i can, I love those days where it is bitterly cold and yet the sun is still shining and maybe it's a lil frosty too. Thats fab!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Blah. I hate winter and not because of sickness. Obviously that contributes but I'm just not a fan of cold weather.

I love it down here in Georgia where, with only a few exceptions, spring will be here to stay by mid-March.

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]YAY CANADIAN WOMEN'S HOCKEY TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

I love winter! I get so excited like a little kid when it snows. It's great to go out tramping in deep snow, throwing snow balls, sledging and making igloos and snowmen. Unfortunately we haven't had a good snowfall round here for ages. When we do get snow it melts straight away [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] There is nothing like coming in from the freezing cold and snuggling down in front of a warm, cosy fire.

I hate summer - too many allergies and sweating constantly with the heat, not being able to sleep at night as it's way too hot and just feeling so lethargic all the time - bleurgh. I thank my lucky stars I was born in a country like England where very hot days are rarely seen! I'd sure love to live somewhere like Scandinavia or Canada though where there is a good amount of snow!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb