Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Emet kids?

I must be the most lucky emet in the world. My kids are hardly ever sick! My son who is 5 has v* twice, one time just a little tiny bit in bed and one time when I wasn't home! My 3 year old has v* once, at the babysitters! I wonder if they are emet themselves? Or have they inherited the anti-V* gene? I have only V* once since I was 10 years old, and I'm now 31.

I have tried not to pass on this horrible phobia. I hear that sometimes emet parents cause emet children.

What do you guys think?

BandNerd

Man, I must be procrastinating hard because I am on here waaay too much today [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]

As for you having emet kids- I think it really depends if they have shown any anxiety about getting sick or others being sick. I would maybe casually bring it up and see what their reactions are- maybe mention that someone at your work is sick, or that you know of a few kids who have been sick recently and see what they say. If they just blow it off or go "gee, that's too bad- what's for dinner?" you're prolly in the clear. It could very likely be that you just have kids that aren't prone to vomitting (lol- if so, as an emet you're extremely lucky). I know some non-emets who have some very impressive streaks- it's not on purpose- it just happened.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was worried that my six year old daughter was emet, but after my son had a sv last week she has proved otherwise. She was so caring towards him and wanted to be with him the whole time even though I tried to get her to play in another room. She knows now that I am scared of v* but she keeps telling me there is nothing to be scared of.and I reassure her be sayingeveryone is scared of something. My daughter is scared of cats and I am scared of v*.My daughter even said she did not mind if she caught the sv as she would get extra tv.

Bandnerd, you aare so lucky that your children have v* d so little. I am lucky if mine go for a year with no v*.

My brother didn't throw up until he was 16 and that because he drank to
    much actaully I dont think he ever got sick for reasons other then to
    much drink yet. Yet, he has no problem whatsoever with it. I
    think that the lack of vomit around me in my childhood may have been
    what done me in but also some sort tendency must have definatly been
    there first. Since I am the only emet to emerge from a almost vomit
    free childhood.

in my case, i'm the only one in my family with this phobia. it has never bothered my parents. my best friends mom is also an emet with three kids and none of them are emets either. in fact, my best friend has a really weak stomach and if she eats or drinks too much or is nervous about the littlest thinng, she'll v* and not even be concerned about it. her mom says she wasreally open about the phobia when the kids were little and constantly had sv*s so maybe how you're raised has very little to do with it. if they would have experienced something traumatizing that involved v*, maybe it would be a different story.

\"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Just because your kids don't v* much doesn't necessarily mean they're emets. Maybe they just don't v* much.

Have they ever shown any signs that they're afraid of v*ing? Try to
    remember some of the stuff you did when you were a kid and think about
    whether your kids do that.

For example once I v*ed because I had a cold that progressed to an
    inner ear infection. However, I thought that I only had a cold so I
    remember that as soon as I was done the first thing I did was ask my
    dad "why did I do that? I only have a cold!" I was 6 years old
    when that happened.

And once when I was lets see...I must have been 4 at the oldest, and I
    think I was younger, I woke up and found my parents downstairs with my
    brother because he was sick. He was a baby at the time, I don't think he
    was older than 2 so after a little while he started v*ing in my mom's
    hand (she was holding him). Well as soon as it started I jumped up and
    ran upstairs to hide in the playroom.

A few minutes later my dad came up to check on me, and I made up some
    story about needing to pick up some toys that I left on the floor the
    night before. In hindsight it was probably the most obvious lie in the
    history of time, but hey, I was 4! When I look back on it my dad must
    have been a little wierded out by that. First I ran away from v*ing
    then lied about why I did it....talk about strange behavior for a
    little kid. lol.

Edited by: chicajojobe

<DIV>Well, so far I do not think my son has EMET. He is four yrs old now and I can say he offically had his first stomach virus a few wks ago. Man, I was off the wall, but did what I could not to show my fears, I mean, he is my son, and I did my best to show him love, while I asked my wife not to go to a meeting she had after the second time he got sick, cause my son would have seen the worst in me. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I know my son has v*d before, from medication, and one other time when he was little, but for the most part, he is relatively healthy. Thank God. Though, I do hope he gets my wife's strength for not fearing being sick. </DIV>

You all are soooo lucky, thank the Lord you don't have my kids!!! My oldest daughter v's every 2-3 mos, it's only been less than 2 weeks since she v'ed. I am 30 and haven't v'ed since I was 9, and I have only v'ed 5 times or so in my entire life, my kids throw up more than that in a winter!!! I keep thinking God has played a cruel joke on me!!

Quote Originally Posted by curly wurly

I was worried that my six year old daughter was emet, but after my son had a sv last week she has proved otherwise. She was so caring towards him and wanted to be with him the whole time even though I tried to get her to play in another room. She knows now that I am scared of v* but she keeps telling me there is nothing to be scared of.and I reassure her be sayingeveryone is scared of something. My daughter is scared of cats and I am scared of v*.My daughter even said she did not mind if she caught the sv as she would get extra tv.

Bandnerd, you aare so lucky that your children have v* d so little. I am lucky if mine go for a year with no v*.

I need to tell you that when I saw this post a while ago, I thought it was adorable that your daughter was being a "little Mommy". That is so cute!!!!!
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by donna1216
    You all are soooo lucky, thank the Lord you don't have my kids!!! My oldest daughter v's every 2-3 mos, it's only been less than 2 weeks since she v'ed. I am 30 and haven't v'ed since I was 9, and I have only v'ed 5 times or so in my entire life, my kids throw up more than that in a winter!!! I keep thinking God has played a cruel joke on me!!

Donna, do you think there is something else wrong with your kids? like maybe they have acid reflux or something? It just doesn't seem normal for kids to v* that much.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

BANDNERD~~~~

I am with you here--my kids are 19, 17, and 14, and all have V* a handful of times COMBINED in their lifetime. I do consider myself very very lucky. I don't think they're emet (because they laugh at me when I'm being paranoid), I think the reason that they don't get sick very much is a combination of my cleaning compulsion, and that their father and I have excellent immune systems, maybe it's hereditary?? I do count my blessings, and as far as other emets who aren't as lucky as we are, my heart goes out to them, and I think they really step up to the plate and do a wonderful job fo their kids even though it's very hard to do so. They deserve alot of respect.Edited by: californiagirl
    ~*~Charlene~*~

mjewell- you would be surprised. My mom still vomits every few weeks, and she's 48. Nothing physically wrong with her- it's just been this way since birth! My brother was a really pukey kid too- would also vomit when he coughed too hard, ate something the least bit off, drank too much soda, DIDN'T eat enough, etc. But the good news is- he grew out of it. By the time he about 9 or 10 he rarely vomitted- and now the only time he gets sick is due to alcohol. So Donna- there is some hope that they won't be like this forever!

When it comes to vomitting, it's very hard to come up with a 'normal' baseline- especially since there are so many things that could trigger it. I know for myself that I vomit 1-3 times every 4-6 months; and rarely from a stomach virus. Or alcohol. Mostly I'll wake up, feel a bit off, and whoop there it is. Then I'll be completely fine a little while later. *Shrug*

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I guess some people just have really sensitive stomachs, but every 2-3 months still seems excessive to me. I feel sorry for your mom amber. That would be crippling for me. I probably woudn't be able to leave my house if puking occured so often. Of course if you know what causes it and can avoid those things, i guess that is different...

A lot of times what comforts me is looking around at everyone on any given day and seeing that they are not ill - or the people I work with. They may be out sick one day a year with puking, but every other day of the year they are ok for the most part. It comforts me to think that puking is not a common occurrence, just something that happens when you are really sick or have a real problem. I can't imagine being a "bi-weekly" puker. Ugh.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

My mom gets severely motionsick (she is legendary within the family- she would already be clutching the bucket as they were backing out of the driveway), and also has no immune system- seems to catch everything. Both of these traits, unfortunately, I have inherited from her. I vomit more than any of my friends- and as I mentioned before, rarely when I am legitimately sick! It's quite strange.

My momhas an extremely nervous stomach- if she is upset/apprehensive, or even tired she will vomit. Unfortunately, she is also in a stressful line of work- she just made partner at her insurance firm. She does group benefits, which means she has to do presentations in front of large groups of people, and since she is so successful she has been asked to present at conferences. She is getting better now that she is used to it- but before a large presentation, chances are you will find her in the bathroom losing her breakfast. She loves her work however- so to her this is only a minor nuisance that she can deal with- since she has been dealing with it since birth.

Some months are better than others- but either way she vomits more than any other human being that I have met, lol. The funny thing is, since she is sick so often, it doesn't really bother me- and I don't think it has anything to do with why/how I have developped emetophobia.

*amber*

Wow, she sort of sounds like my daughter!! She gets n*/tummy aches when she's in stressful situations!

I do think her v'ing is excessive, though, so I"m taking her to the GI dr. today. I hope they can help her!! This is my child who from the time she was a baby until she was almost 3 had only v'ed once from a severe ear infection, then 3 winters ago (some of you were here with me then) my kids caught SOMETHING that made them v* consistently from Halloween thru Easter, and Logan hasn't stopped!!!! I am worried that she has some bacteria or something in her digestive tract. Why did I, the emet, get blessed with a child w/ v'ing issues???[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Donna, glad to hear you are seeking help for your daughter. It might be a relatively easy thing to treat, or like Amber said, they might just grow out of it. Good luck!