Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: hello

hi

i have had my phobia since i can remember, i cope pretty well most of the time but since my son aged three started nursery it has got worse, im ok most of the time but my partner works lates and when im home alone at night with my son i panic, i feel silly because im so scared he may get ill and i dont know how i will cope without my other half at home does anyone else have this problem!

i find myself counting the hours until my partner comes home. he is very supportive but i feel i will never get used to being alone at night does anyone have any tips on coping with little people who may get ill without showing them how scared you are i dont want my son to end up like me

Hi,

I'm Debbie and I am mom to a son and a daughter who are now in their twenties.

I really feel for you. I remember how terrified I was when they were growing up. The thought of them getting sick was always on my mind and controlled every action that I took.

At that time I had no idea that what I suffered from was a phobia or that it even had a name. It may not have had a name then.

In spite of that, my children grew up, had fairly normal lives and do not suffer from this phobia. I told no one about my fears, I just remained in a state of panic all the time. When I did tell my husband, he was very supportive and helped me to take care of the kids. He traveled for business a lot so I was home alone with them very often. I can only think of a few times that they actually vomited while he was gone. When that happened, somehow I was able to pull myself together and take care of them the best I could. They were not aware of how panicked I was (they may have suspected) because I panicked later and had many rituals and coping mechanisms I used to deal with the fear.

The good news is that you have discovered early in your son's life that you are not alone in your fears, and you can take steps to get some help with it because help is available.

You will get lots of support from people on this site. There are many young moms who are in exactly the same place you are and I'm sure they will come on and help you and advise you about how they handle it in their lives.

Check the Treatment section on the forum. There are some good articles and suggestions that should give you some hope. We have a gal here who has been successfully treated and overcome emetophobia and has contributed some very helpful information which you will find on the Treatment thread. You may want to check with your doctor and have him prescribe an anti-anxiety medicine for you to have on hand when you get in a tough situation.

Maybe as you become more comfortable with this site and the people here, you can even arrange to go in the chat room and talk to some of the other mothers. Really, even fellow emets who do not have children often have great insights on how to deal with this phobia and children. You can send private messeges to others also. People here are very caring and everyone knows exactly how you feel.

I hope this helps to reassure you some.
    </font>Edited by: giff1949
    Debbie

Hi Sugarpuff. I have a 5 year-old daughter and am pregnant with my second child. And yeah, I still am really uncomfortable when my husband is out at night, and I'm starting to get a bit freaked out about having my daughter home with me on off-kindergarten days next year when I'm on mat leave (right now she's in daycare)...but we cope, we muddle through somehow, every last one of us moms. We all have our freakouts and moments of panic, and somehow, we all live to tell the tale.

I live in fear of my daughter ending up like me but so far she's a really well-adjusted funny kid (with a bit of hypochondria but not too bad). Have you thought about seeinga therapist, not only to help you cope with your own issues but to help you figure out strategies for not passing your fears on to your son.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Welcome Sugar puff. I can feel for you. My husband is gone days and I have a 16 month old and I babysit another 16 month old. I can feel the panck now. It's amazing what we mothers and fathers can deal with though.
    It certainly isn't wierd for us to panick when my son got ill I was able to deal with it and comfort him and then I went into my panick mode.
    When the little girl was sick (as bad as I feel for this) she has a wierd background and I treated it all like toxic waste. Rubber gloves, bleach, detergent and I through out anything it touched. From that point on I can't even stand her saliva. Ugh I am getting goosebumps.
    Anyways welcome I am sure that you will get a lot of support and suggestions and there are a lot of wonderful people to talk to on here.

</TD></TR>
    <TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I'm not a mom, but I'm a teacher, and I've had to deal
    with kids getting sick in my class. I worry about it happening but I
    find that when it does happen, some kind of autopilot just kicks in and
    I just handle it. I mean, sure I'm feeling scared during it, but I'm
    not screaming or running around... I just try to do what needs to be
    done as quickly as possible. I think it just comes naturally to be able
    to do that. And I know if I can do it, as a teacher with no kids of my
    own, you're probably even more capable of handling it with your own
    child. I would try not to worry, but I know it's hard. Good luck!</font>

hi there everyone

Thankyou for your help.

I normally cope really well but as you all know there are times when we all have a bit of a freak out!!! (mainly late at night when there is nothing on the tv and my mind begins to wander to places it shouldnt!!!!!!!)

its strange really because when jack(my sonshine) was a baby and he v***d it never really bothered me probably because it was just wind! and if iknow the reason why people are sick eg over eating, drinking etci can cope with it, its just the fear of the unknown and dreaded stomache bugs that freak me out!

it is really a comfort knowing that there are other people in the samesituation as me

once again thankyou for listening to me in my hour of need[img]smileys/smilies_08.gif[/img]