Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was just wondering if there are meds that you can take that takes away the panic and anxiety attacks??? If there is please let me know!! Thanks a bunch!

-vee
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

There are a lot of them our there. I take Xanax when I have anxiety attacks, and it works well. You have to be careful though b/c a lot of these drugs are addicting. Then you have the anti-depressants. I'm on Paxil and it helps a great deal. There are tons of those out there too. I would make anappointment with your doctor and askhim/her about possible medication for you.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

princessmel,

Did you have any side effects from paxil? I tried it for 1 week and the first day was like heaven. I felt normal. Then as each day went by, the nausea grew stronger and stronger like wanting to v*. Then the anxiety started to come back and I didn't like the feeling of being constantly anxious for no reason. I just couldn't tolerate it soI stopped. I tried Prozac, same thing, and lexapro immediately gave me nausea for 24 hrs. straight. Not even Phenergan would work. I just couldn't take it. I can't tolerate any anti-depressants at all so all I can take is xanax but I fear that my body is getting used to it. I don't want to use it forever. I've been on it for about a year and a half now. I take about 1/2 to 1/4 mg. a day usually at bedtime to sleep through the night. What could be my other alternatives? I tried some herbal remedies from the internet and I hated the taste of lavander. I felt like I was drinking flowers from the blender. YUK!. What else can I do? I'm already starting therapy so that's gonna take a long time to kick in. When I feel nauseous, the breathing does not help. It only provokes the gagging. What are the breathing techniques to prevent v* as Doug mentioned in some other thread? I could never link to it. Can someone tell me. I've posted on this 3 times and nothing yet. Help!

Pumpkin
    \"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you.\"
    1 Peter 5:7
    Pumpkin

Try to stay away from drugs in the Benzo category. They work immediately and are great, but can be very addicting. (Xanax or Ativan) Use them only in emergencies.

I would try something like Prozac, Paxil, or Lexapro.. (those seem to be the more popular ones and highly praised.) However, some are difficult to stop takeing.

I think meds coupled w/ cognitive therapy or sorts is very effective.

gl
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

pumpkin3800,

I don't know what kind of breathing techniques they were talking about on the other thread but I have posted a couple of times regarding it. For me my breathing technique is just try to breathe normally, no deep breaths, just steady repetitive breathing. I realized that before I v* I tend to take deep breaths cause i dont feel like I have enough air...but that only makes the nausea even worst, this is the only breathing technique I know and use.. and I use it religiously when i feel nauseous. Tends to work. Hope this helps

-vee
    Joined in 2006. For all those that have helped me I hope I can offer some help for those who seek it now.

ppumpkin,

I've found that increased exercise is useful.. especially walking.. w/ the dog or by yourself. By yourself is best, it's peaceful. It's time that you can take just for yourself...

it's helped me tremendously

Also, positive self-talk does wonders.. like in the morning when you're first wakeing up, takeing a shower, putting your make-up on, or whatever...

Think positive and try to stomp on the "what if's".. ELIMINATE THEM or say..

"what if .. today is going to be a great day, I'm gonna meet some awesome poeple, etc.."Edited by: tayda
    Friendship is like pee in your pants.... everyone can see it.... but only YOU can feel it\'s true warmth...

I took Paxil a few years ago, and the first 14 days, I was miserable. Day 15 arrived and I was fine. If you can just hang in there those 14 days....

A warning: Prozac does not have clinical results for panic disorders.

I might recommend Zoloft (great showings statistically) or Paxil.

I am on Lexapro, and it works wonderfully for me, but each person responds differently.

For acute treatment of panic attacks, there are drugs like Xanax and
    the ones mentioned above, BUT there is a less addictive nerve agent
    called Clonazepam, which reduces the physical symptoms of a panic
    attack.

Anyway, I hope you found this helpful.