My daughter has asthma. Every year I deal with letters from the school complaining about the days she misses each year. (usually around 20 tops). Today will be her 6th day out from this latest lower respiratory thing she has going on. (and her 11th so far this schoolyear) I took her to the allergist last Thursday and he gave her anti biotics. (said she definitely had brochitis and an ear infection). Yesterday the kids had off because of President's day and I had totally planned on sending her back to school today. She was really hard to wake this morning and once I got her up, she could not stop coughing.I gave her a breathing treatment and a drink and was trying to get her ready for school. She just looked sick. (that tired look in the eyes). I asked how she was feeling. (no more wheezing, just really productive cough) She said her throat hurts really bad and she's very tired. I looked at her throat and it's swollen, red and irritated, though I am not suprised with the amount she has been coughing.

Okay. Here's the question. In my mind I have no doubt that this kid needs rest and is still battling this infection. Her allergist is only in on Thursdays on this side of town, so it's not like I can get her in to see him or get her a letter to excuse these absences. I don't want to take her to the pediatrician because of germ exposure. I really think she just needs another day or two to kick this thing. So, do I go with my gut instinct and keep her home until I feel she is ready to go back and not let the school bully me into sending her too soon? I hate being put in this position. Does anyone know how many days kids are allowed to miss annually before they are in jeapordy of being held back? If I get notes from the doctor and send them to the school will that help? Has anyone else had to deal with this kind of situation? And, does anyone have any suggestions for helping her kick this thing more quickly? (She's been sick for 8 days). Thanks in advance