Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Contagion

Does anyone know anything about contagion and germs? Meaning - how long do germs live on tables, counters, floors, walls, on mattresses, on clothing, on knobs, etc?

And how long someone is contagious after a sv?

If my husband was actively sick with v and d for 9 hours, then just felt tired and weak for another day, how long is he contagious? And how long do I have to worry about me or my daughter being exposed? And how long do I have to worry about germs being on everything he might have touched?

And if someone cleaned up the v and then touched other stuff around the house, how long do the germs live around the house?

Kimb

From what I've read, it depends on the individual virus. Some are spread through surface contact (can live on hard surfaces for up to 2 days), some are airborne and can be passed if you are in close contact with someone who is v*, and some can be passed through kissing, touching, etc. My method at home is to 'treat' the situation for all possibilities. I do not go into the room where someone is/has v* and stay away for 72 hours, I wipe down any/all solid surfaces that the sick person may have come in contact with, and I don't kiss/touch the sick person for 2 days after their symptoms disappear. Also - don't let the person who was sick prepare food for anyone else for at least 2 days after they are feeling better. Probably REALLY extreme on my part - but it makes me feel more at ease.

Don't stress too much about your hubby being mad right now. I agree with Sillygirl, printing out some of the information about this phobia for him to read may help him to understand just how scary it is for you and how many people are truly effected by this. I printed out the info. for my husband about six months ago. He was pretty supportive before that, but he's been even more supportive since then. He truly didn't understand the effect emet was having on my/our life until then.

Hang in there and vent to us whenever you need!

Marby

I have actually read that with one SV*, and I can't remember which one, the person's stool may actually still be contagious for 14 days after they are feeling better. But as long as that person washes well after a bowel movement, I am sure it is nothing anyone else would catch.