Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm so sorry to post something like this as my first topic, but I am scared out of my mind here and have no support whatsoever. This may be graphic to some.

I had really awful d* for two and a half days. I thought it was either a food allergy or something else, but it gave me chills and body aches too, so at the end I was definitely thinking some type of sv* (maybe rotavirus). I have no idea where I caught this. I was not n* at all really and did not v*, in fact I was eating solid food during the worst of the illness.

I definitely fear myself v*ing more than others, but today I am terrified. My parents both woke up with this illness. I came into their bedroom today and found my mother home from work, which she never does, and she looked terrible. She lied to me at first, saying she didn't v*, but when I saw a roll of paper towels out in their bathroom I knew the worst had happened. She finally admitted that she did v* once and had many bouts of d*.

My father has been n* all day and "can't v*" whatever that means. He only had d* once or twice.

Now, it's pretty obvious that I got this and spread it to them, but do you think it could either "come back" and hit me with v*ing, or could I become infected from them and get this again? I feel good today for the first time in almost three days, but I am TERRIFIED.

I am receiving an award on Sunday and have been waiting all year to go to the award ceremony. Now I'm thinking "Oh, GREAT, it'll come back and I'll v* when I'm on stage in front of 500 people!". I have SO many exciting and wonderful things I need to do this Saturday and Sunday and I just can't do this anymore. Do you think I'm immune now? My rational side is saying yes....

I am so miserable right now- not because I feel bad, but because everyone in my house is sick at the same time. I have no support system, only this horrible atmosphere of gloom and illness surrounding me. I feel so bad for infecting them and selfish for thinking only of myself and my phobia right now. My father keeps wandering around pale and miserable, complaining about how much he feels like v*ing, and I feel like I am losing my mind.

I'm alone right now- sort of hiding in my room. It is so weird to go through this- usually when I have an emet experience someone else is there to talk to me, but I feel even more terrified being here by myself, not able to even talk to my parents because they are either complaining about their illness or being ill.

Edited by: csjones

I would think your body would have built up antibodies against the virus.
    If you had it first and then passed it around, I would think you would be
    safe. I would still stay clear of your parents, disinfect everything around,
    and wash your hands. That is the best you can do- I would think you
    would be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I have been up here in my room most of the day, trying to stay away from both of them. I wasn't anywhere near them when they v*ed. The problem is that I have touched all the same surfaces they did. That worries me. I can't really sanitize because I'm trying to stay far away from them and all the cleaning supplies are in the bathroom where they are ill.

As far as I know, you can't get the same virus twice. Just because you didnt v* and your mom did, doesn't mean that you will get sick again. SV's affect everybody differently, my mother had a sv* a few months ago, v*, d*, body aches, fever, the whole nine yards, and my dad had all the same symptoms except the v*. Try not to think about it too much and you'll feel better. And, don't feel bad about passing the virus on, it happens! It isn't your fault. And don't feel selfish either, I'm sure your parents understand your fear!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Let me tell you there isa virus going around here and it is hitting everyone w/ different symptoms, my family got it, my younger daughter v'ed once & then moped around for 2 days, then she had a couple of bouts of d* on the 3rd day, but felt fine, that night I got it and had d* ALLLLL night long, and felt like a truck had hit me for 5 days after that, and didn't eat for all that time, my husband got it a week and a half later, just had d* twice, and felt like crap for 2 days, my older daughter had d* once and v'ed twice. My friend's daughter got it, v'ed once and had gross poop (TMI, I KNOW!!) for 5 days + no appetite, then her husband got it and had d* for a WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone I know pretty much has had this and all had different symptoms!!

I hope your family is ok, and I am sure you won't get it again!!! Keep us posted!

Thanks for the advice!

I am trying to be as brave as possible- I have even eaten a bit today, though I am scared to. I find that eating prevents false/hunger related n*, so I have had a little toast and some applesauce. More than anything, my father's attitude is bothering me right now. He is so miserable when he is sick and has to let everyone know about it. I am dreading being here alone with him tomorrow since my mother will more than likely go to work if she feels alright.

It's so frustrating since I woke up this morning feeling GREAT and assuming that today would be good, and then as soon as I talked to my parents my anxiety level shot up and I got the horrible panic related n*. I am also fearing tonight. Like most emets, I really fear getting sick at night.

I think you'll be ok. Since you are the original host and you've been infected, you'll have antibodies to that particular virus for a few months. SVs affect people differently, some people are lucky to escape with just cramps or d* and others have the full course. Try offering your parents comfort measures...you won't get it again. Sorry to hear your family is ill.

Nikki

Sorry you are having such a hard time. Things will seem so much better in a day or 2. At least your family have had the sv now and you will all soon start to feel better. My family have also all been ill with an sv. My son got it last Thursday, then I got it on Saturday morning, my husband on Saturday night and my daughter just had very mild symtoms last night. My son and Iv*d lots, my husband just twice and my daughter not at all so we were all different. If you had d* for 2 days then I am sure you will be fine now. I can assure you things get better very quickly. The last week has been a nightmare and I thought it would never end, but it has. The atmstphere in my house this evening was lovely and relaxed with the children happy and well. I hope you all feel better soon.

<DIV>You know, I know that feeling.....you are having a great day and some person (family or friend) tells you they have the sv or had or don't feel well, I like to describe it as a Deer in headlights! </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>My day goes totally dark when someone I interacted with tells me they have the sv or have the sv.......</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Deer in headlights!</DIV>

You've had it already, hon. Try to look on the positive side and realize that you already had it and don't need to worry about it! I just got over a sv, and I am so glad my winter bout is over. I feel like I can do stuff again without worrying about getting sick. Your parents will be feeling better in no time (if they aren't already). I know I always feel like a cloud is over my house when it hits, but when everyone is well again it's like the sun comes through and I can finally enjoy it.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Thanks again for responding everyone, I know it sounds so silly since I obviously did have it already. So far I have gone about a day and a half without any more symptoms at all. I'm not even tired anymore. I have my fingers crossed that I have beaten this thing. I made it okay through the night and managed to sleep and not panic.

No one else v* here at all. My mother only v* only as did my father. My parents both sound like they're over it- just weak and tired now like I was a few days ago.

My next challenge is that my mother is sending me to the grocery store this morning. I really hate being out in public when I am sick or other people are sick *shivers*. My other issue is that I just got my period, so naturally now I am worrying about the n* and loss of appetite from that- UGH [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img].

Edited by: csjones

Get a lot of fresh air before Sunday, that will help to keep your resistance up. Last February, I was staying with family, and they all took turns passing a sv around. Between 5 of us, the 4 of them got it within the same month, and I never got it. I was a little OCD for that month [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]Since we only had 2 bathrooms and there was no way to "hold it" or not shower for a month, ha ha. I tried to stay outside in the fresh air as much as possible, breathed a lot through my nose (natural filter), and I know it sounds silly, but I brought a small hand towel with me to dry my hands in the bathroom instead of using the communal towel. I also used a lot of Purell, and ate some vitamins and some airborne. I can't say for sure what may have worked the best and what may have just been paranoid reaction, but something worked, because I sure never got it!

Good luck on Sunday and congrats for winning an award! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Take small account of might, wealth and fame, for they soon pass and are forgotten. Instead, nurture love within you and and strive to be a friend to all. Truly, compassion is a balm for many wounds.

Hi - firstly welcome to the site. Please never be afraid to post on here worries, anxieties about anything - however minor you may feel it is. If you are worried do post (or if you have any questions etc) as everyone here is really friendly and completely understands you worries.

You are coping really well with this. As you said - it appears that you have already had this illness (sv's affect people in different ways - some more seriously than others).

Do your parent's know aboutyour fear? If so I'm sure they are doing evertthing in their power to prevent from upsetting you or worrying you unnecessarily.

I also hate going out when I or anyone else in my household is ill (for fear "it" would happen when I was out but equally it is a chance to escape!). How did you get on with the grocery shopping?

Please let us know how you are getting on - sounds to me like you're being very brave [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I really think my emet has improved a lot lately. I handled all of this MUCH better than I thought I would. Really, when I was in the throes of the illness I didn't even care if I v*ed (but never did or even really felt like it)! In fact, I know I'm better now because my anxiety has me and I'm afraid of v* again [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] LOL! It was as if I was too sick to worry or something.

My parents do know about my fear but unfortunately they haven't been extremely helpful. It's slightly upsetting, but as I said, I'm ok. I am almost through another symptom free day. It really is amazing how fast these things come and go.

The grocery store went well. I was fairly panicky on the car ride there, but I was in and out in a second and everything was fine.

I'm so glad you managed to do the shopping ok.

I'm sorry that you're parents weren't very helpful but I guess its hard if you aren't well and are feeling icky..not that that should excuse them.

Glad you are still ok. How many days has is been now. Give it 3-4 days and you should (fingers crossed) be free from any chance of catching this bug (even though you think you had it).

Keep up the good work - you're are coping well. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I think we're all fine here now. I made my event on sunday and had a great time. My stomach still occasionally gets upset (right now I have awful gas) but except for my mom who now has some sort of cold, we're all on the mend! Thanks for the help and support!