Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

does anyone know what this is? or have it?
    im very interested as someone mentioned
    thatit& IBS can either be misdiagnosed as each other, or occur together.

I was diagnosed with this.
    This is my honest opinion.
    I believe that functional dyspepsia and IBS are what the doctor tells you when you have a tummy ache and there is no physical reason for it.
    I feel that these tummy ailments are from stress and/or living an unhealthy lifestyle. (such as not excercising, not drinking enough water, not relaxing enough, not eating enough fiber)
    My gastro guy wanted me to do a study for "functional dyspepsia" a while back. I declined. (not into being their guinea pig
    But seriously, I think the main problem here would be stress. That's just my opinion.

\"This too shall pass\"

I beg to differ w/ you Shiva. I have IBS and I was diagnosed with it through a colonoscopy where samples of my intestine were sent for analysis and that's what it tested postive for. I do agree that stress can make the IBS worse at times, but, stress can also cause people to have headaches, so, everyone reacts differently to it. There is a physical reason for my IBS, in fact, it wasn't a "last" resort diagnosis. I do think though, that there are numerous doctors out there who don't know all there is to know about IBS and simply label anyone with digestive issues as having it, which simply isn't true. Unless you have the culture done, there is no other positive way of diagnosing it.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

im sort of confused..
    because i thought people really couldnt TEST for iBS...
    but just if you were checked and they couldnt really find a cause for your
    symptoms they'd just diagnose you with IBS.. or functional dyspepsia.

soo confusing.

I think, and this is just my opinion....IBS is so complicated...i have heard of this dyspepsia....and often wondered if i have it too. I have had the colonoscopy done and nothing bad was found...how else do you describe an array of symptoms like some of us have with ibs....i know stress is not the cause of all these symptoms....everyone in the world has stress....everyone....and not everyone has the gastrointestional problems like ibs people have....there's just no way that stress can cause all that..........but stress does aggrevate ins.....so anyway...just my opinion.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

Dyspepsia is a catchall term that includes a variety of digestive problems such as stomach discomfort, gas, bloating, belching, appetite loss, and nausea. Although many serious medical conditions can cause digestive distress, the term "dyspepsia" is most often used when no identifiable medical cause can be detected. In this way, dyspepsia is like a stomach version of the symptoms in the intestines called irritable bowel syndrome.

The standard medical approach to dyspepsia begins by looking for an identifiable medical condition such as gallstones, ulcers, or esophageal reflux. If none is found, various treatments are often suggested on a trial-and-error basis, including medications that reduce stomach acid as well as those that decrease spasm in the digestive tract. The drugs cisapride (Propulsid) and metoclopramide (Reglan) increase stomach emptying, and have also been tried for dyspepsia. However, cisapride has been taken off the market, and metoclopramide causes many side effects.

It's thought that stress plays a role in dyspepsia, as it does with irritable bowel syndrome. Interestingly, one study of 30 people with dyspepsia found that after 8 weeks of treatment with placebo, 80% reported their symptoms had improved.<SUP>1</SUP> This unusually high placebo response emphasizes the emotional aspect of this condition.

innnnnnnteresting!

Abdominal pain or discomfort, bloating, distension, and altered bowel habits can all be symptoms of disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and functional dyspepsia (FD). IBS consists of abdominal pain or discomfort in association with changes in bowel habits (diarrhea, constipation, or both in alternation). Functional dyspepsia is pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen, often associated with nausea or bloating, which is not related to ulcers or any visible problem within the stomach or intestines.

so then by this description it would appear i have both!
    bah.Edited by: liz28

Babygap,

What is it that was found in your colonoscopy that indicated IBS? What is it that they find? This is what I don't understand. If you have an ulcer, they see the ulcer. If you have h. pylori, they see the 'bug'. What is it they 'see' or 'test' when they find IBS?

I understand that eveyone has stress and that different people are affected differently by stress. (stomach aches/ headaches) But, I really believe that the underlying cause of a lot of the medical "syndromes" that our medical community is diagnosing today are just the physical way people are responding to not caring for themselves properly.

\"This too shall pass\"

What the doctor found when the test was done was that the cells in the sample they took were severly inflamed which was causing my intestine to be red in color. I acutally saw the pictures from the test, parts of my intestine were fine, others were extremely red &amp; irritated looking. They tested me for croan's (sp) disease also, but that thankfully came back negative, the test came back positive for IBS.

I also agree with you about people not taking care of themselves, and as a result, the body reacts in funky ways. As a society, we all look for a "miracle diagnosis &amp; cure" when a simple change in diet &amp; behavior could fix alot of things. However, when a person has been diagnosed by a doctor as having something, such as IBS, changing lifestyles isn't going to help much. I eat properly (except for all the whole grains and wheat and stuff, I CAN'T have that w/my IBS), I exercise every day, don't drink, don't smoke, and yet, I still am strickened w/ this syndrome that I'll have for the rest of my life. When my IBS acts up, I actually run a fever for days until things simmer down. I had a small bite of an oatmeal cookie last year and was sick for 4 days! Oh, and I can't have any cheese products either. The same thing happens. I'm not lactose intolerant either, it's just something in the processing of the cheese where my IBS goes into hypermoad. So, I have to be very careful with my diet, and I can tell you, "stress" didn't cause this.Edited by: babygap5
    &lt;a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

you get a FEVER with your IBS???
    and you were sick for days after eating a bite of a cookie???
    are you sure you dont have specific food allergies?
    my oh my. Edited by: liz28

Yep, no allergies at all, I've been tested for everything. IBS has varying degrees for severity, I have one of the most severe cases. That bite of cookie was awful for me. A friend of mine told me it was a cinnamon raisin cookie. She didn't tell me it was oatmeal, she said cinnamon. So, I took a small bite, looked inside the cookie, so the oats, not before I had swallowed and threw out the rest of the cookie. The pain sent in about 3 hours later, by the time I got home, I looked like I was 7 months pregnant. The fever set in by the next morning, and lasted 4 days. During those 4 days, the only thing I could eat that wouldn't add to the pains was a backed potato - plain and plain white rice. I was finally able to add toast to it on day 3. I've gotten used to these reactions. The first time it happened, I had eaten a cheeseburger that I had bbq at home. I knew it wasn't food poisoning because I cooked it till the point of death, so it had to be the cheese. I ran to my doctor the next day, told him what I ate, and that's when he scheduled me for the colonoscopy. I had the test done the next week and was told what was wrong w/ me. He told me that there would be other foods that would cause the reaction, but he didn't know what would, so it was trial and error. I haven't had pizza in over 3 years. I can't even have cheerios. The only cereal that is still safe for me is rice krispies. I used to have more of a variety, but all the damn cereals are made with "whole grains" now, which is a no no for me, so I'm down to one. Even special k has wheat in it, so that's out.

It's funny, there are alot of people on this site who have IBS, yet, I've never read anyone complaining about the symptoms like I get, which is why, I think people like Shiva, aren't fully clear about the varying degrees of this disease.
    &lt;a href=\"
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"&gt;&lt;/a&gt ; ; ;

You could have a food sensitivity, but not an allergy.

I am aware of the varying degrees of IBS. I didn't mean to make you feel like you had to justify your disease. It's just, you have to kinda wonder when everyone and their neighbor has been diagnosed with IBS, what's going on.
    \"This too shall pass\"

Anyway.. I'm sorry Liz. I didn't mean to hyjack the post and be negative. I hope it didn't come across that way.

As far as myself goes. I was diagnosed recently with functional dyspepsia. I decided to actively practice yoga and relaxation. I also changed my diet drastically and I drink at least a gallon of water a day and work out every day. I feel awesome! Tummy aches all gone
    \"This too shall pass\"

Il put in my 2pence here it may be long winded so bare with me

I have pretty bad IBS from time to time and Im begining to tell the difference between that and what ever else it may be..

Now before when I was having a really really tough time at home with my father and mother I developed very very bad stomach cramps and pain sometimes constantly, for about a year this happined and I hardley ate I went down to a size 10 (UK sizes),then I got listed for an endoscopy to see if I at that point had a stomach ulcer which then it came out clear other tests were done and they could find nothing medically wrong with me, but still the pains kept on coming I hardley slept nor did I go out anywhere and was constantly on edge about v* these were bad times,I was living on copious ammounts of liquid motilium and crying alot.

So they sent me back to my doctors for the results of the tests that have been done,nothing to be found,then refered to a child psychologist who in the end diagnosed them to be a combination of stress depression and anxiety which brought these on which now I fully believe they were.

I still get them from time to time now but I realise what they are and have to take time out and go relax as if I dont things will </span>get worse.

Dont know if this was much help but thought id try

xVx

i guess my thing is..
    i dont get pain..
    ibs or dyspepsia..whatever... no pain.
    no heartburn. no curl over stomach pain.
    i'll get ridiculous amounts of bloating and gas and general upsetness in the tummy/chest. like right now.. my chest feels really full ...like in between my sternum and its really hard to burp(which usually helps)..and i just have n* like crazy. or at least what i think to be n*. heck i dont know. i just dont like. and its upsetting me.
    and then eventually it upsets me to the point whereill either have loose stools or d*..or just start shaking horribly.

the n* feeling will come even when im not feeling anxious about anything. it came when i was driving my car tonight!

no idea what is going on with me.
    could it TRULY be anxiety/depression/stress?

i'm 23. ive lost about 30 pounds max. mostly due to not eating. because i associate food with the discomfort and blahblah. and mostly because i NEVER have an appetite! and if i do.. it only takes a LITTLE BIT OF FOOD.. to make me feel so friggin full.

does anyone have this? what the heck?Edited by: liz28

you know what hun,it does sound like anxiety, I find il bloat if im stressed or feeling pannicy really,find burping helps for osme time but it builds up again its a vicious circle at the moment.

maybe eating small and often with plenty of fluids might shift it?

xVx

I suffer with non ulcer dyspepsia for 10 years now not sure if its the same thing you deal with. After eating certain foods I get this heavy, gnawing feeling just below my breastbone. It does cause mild *n no pain and usually don't eat. But after it starts to feel better, it gurgles and actually feels like its breaking up, I eat something I am back to 100%. Stress also plays a major role in this for me. What are your symptoms?

symptoms:

after eating i will start to feel very full quickly.
    it will then start feeling ..yes.. like a gnawing feeling in between my ribs and around that area. to me it feels like you're super hungry, but you're really not.

also lately, if i sleep on my side.. it will feel like my heart is being smashed somehow!

i dont eat much due to the n* associated, so this could be the case, that indeed i am somehow hungry. though not at 2am! in the middle of the night i will get these gnawing hunger things.
    the n* feeling i get is in the chest area. in the middle and sprouting around the chest. it feels like i constantly have to burp.. but sometimes i dont. sometimes i try to force burps as well. it feels constricted. tight.bloated in the chest, somehow. sometimes tingly and butterfly'y.

there is no pain involved for me.

yes, usually the feeling fizzles at some point. and i'll eat a bit and feet better. temporarily.

i dont get heartburn.

Liz,

What you described is exactly the way my tummy used to hurt and will still hurt from time to time when I am stressed. Are you upset about anything?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Default Re: functi&#111;nal dyspepsia?

Liz28, I have very similar symptoms to you. I eat very small amounts and limit my diet because of the uncomfortable fullness that occurs when I eat. I am also 23.