Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Here is my questions and I wonder what everyone here thinks......

We talk about a sv* and an incubation period, but when should this period start?

See, a few wks ago my son had a sv* (he is 4). He said he was hungry for lunch and we had been out. By 5pm he had v* and was feeling awful. My wife and I had shared either his straw from a lemonade or a spoon from ice cream. Now, yes, this is germ central and I usually do not share, my wife does! Happen to be a weak day...I'll never do that again.

Anyway, to my point, he gets sick at 5pm, but when did he actually get the sv* The moment he v* does not mean it starts my incubation period. I mean, we all live together, I kiss him good night, sometimes I catch a sneeze, etc.

Once he (or someone) v*, how long could they have had it? The moment of V* or d* certainly does not start the window for those around. Of course it is the first I think of, "Will I get it" but, when could we all really have been infected? By the time a person v* isn't it possible we have all been exposed?

CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

Well the general rule with things like norovirus, and you will find
    this in all the information sources and research papers is that the
    incubation period before symptoms present is anywhere upto 48 hours
    (but some now say 60 hours) after exposure and ingestion of the
    virus. The usual time frame for symptoms to develop is 12-48
    hours after ingestion. It is also said that a person is not
    contagious until the first symptoms are present (usually v*). So
    sharing a straw 5 hours before symptoms present would normally not be
    classed as a hazardous event as the virus should be nowhere near the
    mouth of the child but be buried deep inside the intestines doing its
    business. Now after symptoms subside, it is usually regarded that
    a person can be infectious for anywhere from 48 hours - 2 weeks, even
    though they are asymptomatic.

Of course this is all the general rule, there wil always be exceptions,
    and different viruses may have there own peculiarities that circumvent
    all the above.

Hope this helps.

Iain

With what thegooddr says, it means I am ALWAYS in a state of exposure!!! I am in the classroom [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img] I knew this already though and I guess it is just something I chose to endure because the rewards greatly outweigh any side effect. I would say that having a child should outweigh the few hours of potential illness too.

Kids really aren't sick all the time, no matter what we like to imagine. I have to remember this and keep the big picture in focus. I hate it more than anything being constantly exposed to viruses, but what I am doing has a greater impact and provides more enjoyment/ value than any bout of illness will forever change my life.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<DIV>
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooddr
    Well the general rule with things like norovirus, and you will find this in all the information sources and research papers is that the incubation period before symptoms present is anywhere upto 48 hours (but some now say 60 hours) after exposure and ingestion of the virus. The usual time frame for symptoms to develop is 12-48 hours after ingestion. It is also said that a person is not contagious until the first symptoms are present (usually v*). So sharing a straw 5 hours before symptoms present would normally not be classed as a hazardous event as the virus should be nowhere near the mouth of the child but be buried deep inside the intestines doing its business. Now after symptoms subside, it is usually regarded that a person can be infectious for anywhere from 48 hours - 2 weeks, even though they are asymptomatic.

Of course this is all the general rule, there wil always be exceptions, and different viruses may have there own peculiarities that circumvent all the above.

Hope this helps.

Iain
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Hey Iain,</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Thanks...never thought of it this way. Very interesting that you are not truly contagious till your first v* or d*. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I would have assumed otherwise. Thanks for the info. </DIV>
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

slingshot,

Were you OK afterwards, did you get any symptoms as a result of your son being ill ?

Iain