Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

haha I hope I don't sound too weird from this...

but last time I wassick (with something like a sv) I never actually v* but felt n* for 3 days straight. It was horrible. This was in 6th grade, 6 years ago (and also when I first became an emet). so... at that time, my family did a lot of family outings, and so I got pretty used to (and actually liked) a lot of the music my mom would play in the car. One of my favorites at the time, was Shania Twain's "Come on Over" cd... we listened to that all the time in the car... then, I got sick, and since then that music has reminded me of that sickness, and listening to it has made me feel like I would get sick again! (which is weird, because I was actually listening to Tarzan music when I first felt n* and I can mostly listen to that music and not feel nervous. But then again, I don't often hear that music anymore lol). But anyway, about the Shania Twain music... I was finally starting to get over my fear of it lol (and it's weird, any of her other music I'm fine with, it's just THAT CD that would make me nervous). I copied the cd and put the songs on my iPod and listened to it pretty continually for a couple of days... and then my sister got a sv and v* a few times!! this was a couple weeks ago. I logically feel like the songscould not have brought her a sv, but at the same time it just really freaks me out. I still have the songs on my iPod and I love listening to them, but I feel like I can't listen too much and I can't have one of them be the last song I listen to at a time... I'm so superstitious. Does anyone else do this, associate something with being sick? How do you get over doing this? I really want to enjoy the music, without the worry of if the song will bring bad sick luck on my lol....

I can't listen to the Dixie Chicks's first cd!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

I know the feeling. I took it one step further than you did. Rather than associate the event with a particular song that I heard at the time, I went to the library and looked up what was popular at that time and then had a funny feeling about those songs. Isn't that crazy? I'm all right with those songs now, but there was a time when I would hear one of them and think, that was in the top 40 back on that day...

Doug

To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can associate songs of the time everytime i have v*d, even back to when i was a child and my family would v*, theres a song for all! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]my eldest son (who's 15) thinks its a hoot why i'm so good at those name the year programmes!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img](we tend to laugh about my Emet rather than let it get to me/us, although at times it is hard)

I remember when I was about 8 being really ill through the night with a stomach bug, which caused me to v* many times. There was an advert on at that timefor Cadbury's cream eggs that had a silly song with it. All night this advert tormented me and wouldn't leave my head - the song, the close up pictures of the chocolate egg... it drove me mad. For years afterwards I couldn't bare to even see those eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by trixie
    I can associate songs of the time everytime i have v*d, even back to when i was a child and my family would v*, theres a song for all! [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]my eldest son (who's 15) thinks its a hoot why i'm so good at those name the year programmes!! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img](we tend to laugh about my Emet rather than let it get to me/us, although at times it is hard)

That's just what I do - try and laugh about it whenever I can, it does help!

Tracey
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

When I was 8 and I had an sv my mum put me on the sofa in front of a video of the sound of music so a few of the songs actually remind me of that feeling. Especially the one the nuns all sing at the beginning.

That's too bad x hannah x!

That is my most favourite movie in the whole world!

I couldn't listen to one album for years after I was ill once or any track by that artist- and it took so much courage to be able to listen to it again - but I did [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

You just have to build up the courage to do it - maybe one song at a time - do something else with the music on so you're not focussing 100% on the music (or film maybe) But do it in your own time. I had to do it just to prove to myself i would be ok - I conquered that demon! lol!

Hope you can all overcome that association stuff too.
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I feel that way about tv. When I was sick, Iwould just lay around watching tv. I canremember certain programs that I was watching while feeling so n*, and now I don't really like watching them. (Most of them aren't on tv anymore because they are older anyway.) The last time I had a sv,(n*and d* but no v*) I remember being terrified that I was going to v*, and I was watching Viva La Bam. So now, I am afraid to watch that show, because of that association.

i can't watch the honeymooners anymore. it's usually not on but sometimes they have marathons and i guess i got sick during one! hate that show now
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I have CD's that bring back bad memories too. I do not care for these "accidental associations" much [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one who does this!

For me it's not really music, but movies- when I was sick at school, I would usually end up at my Noni and Nono's (Italian for grandma and grandpa) if they were home. Well, during the day there isn't much on for a kid who was too old to appreciate the wonderfullnessthat ISSesame Street, so I would usually put in a movie. The only movies that they had that weren't full-length biopics of the life and times of Jesus Christ (yes, they are a tad bit religious) were Back to the Future and Sister Act. Now everytime I see those movies I associate it with nausea and lying down on a big floral couch. I don't fear them, or avoid them if they are on tv- I just can't really enjoy them

*amber*

Yeah there are certain movies/shows I don't want to see anymore or even think about because I was sick while or after seeing them. Its funny what our minds can do...

I was watching some show on Anna Nicole last time I was ill, and to this day I don't like to see her.

Also Hillary Sw***, I was sort of watching this movie she was in as a kid on the Disney Channel, and not long after I got horribly sick v*ing, and man to this day I don't like to see her or watch any movies she is in!

It feels so good to know that people have the exact feelings as me. Last year I was listening to a CD and later that night my little brother v*ed. The whole night I layed awake having a painc attack with the stupid song in my head. Now I can't listen to the CD at all.

-rosie

this probably sounds like no big deal but i'm only 14 still so it is for me. i hate going to bed in the house on my own, because last time i was ill i was home for a week and i would have KILLED to see my mum! i also don't really trust my cooking... i burn everything to make sure its cooked!

jen

<font color=GREEN>
    happiness is a way of travel -- not a destination
    </font>

Jen, it took me ages to trustmy own cooking a be able to cope on my own in the house. The only way I managed it was to go to uni and not have the option of my parents being there (on the phone, of course, but not in person) Esp as I live in the Channel Islands and so it would have been at least 24 hours if not more for me to gethome or my paretns to come to me if I needed them.

You'll get there tho [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

About 4 years ago, my sis bought a Justin Timberlake album and the next morning she had a really bad sv*. i cant listen to that song, 'Cry me a river' anymore and if it comes on the radio i have to cover my ears at the end of the song for some reason lol[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    x abbie x