Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Immodium

Do you think anything bad would happen if someone took Immodium, but didn't really need it? Kind of like a 'just in case' thing.

No you will be fine. Just dont overdo it. But you should be fine. I have done that aswell. Just only take what it says.

Fifi

xxx

I am not trying to be dumb, but why would you take Immodium if you didn't need it? I don't like taking it since if I have d*, I am not v'ing, I'm afraid taking immodium would cause things to back up the other way--the REALLY bad way!!! Am I a strange emet, since diarrhea doesn't bother me?

if you take it every now and then, thats okay, but if you take it on a regular basis ( everyday) then your body will need it to function normally ( your body becomes dependant on it).

I take it for my IBS when I know Im going on a long trip or something. DONOT take it if you have an sv. I remember reading that somewhere.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

You would probably just become "stopped up" and with excessive over use, you might not become as sensitive to it and it might not work effectively when you need it. I refuse to take any anti-D* meds until I have had D* at least 2-3x because then I know my body needs it. The first few times I have it I know my body is doing it for absolute protection and stopping it might actually make me sicker.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The only problem I've had with immodium is that once I take it, I would be constipated for 1 or 2 days after that. Other than that, it always worked great for me.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Ive only taken it a couple of times when I really had to (plane trip returning from holiday)but I also found it "blocked me up"!!

Donna, Im also the same, diahhrea doesnt bother me(well I mean itskinda oddbut I dont get stressed!!)

Im just glad about that cos I couldnt handle another phobia.

Laney

D* doesn't bother me either. Odd, huh? But I have, on occasion, taken
    immodium as a "just in case" thing. Two weeks ago my youngest
    daughter was having some stressful medical testing done, and in the
    days leading up to them I was having some stress-related d*. I took
    immodium on the morning of one of her tests because I didn't want to
    have to run out on my half-sedated 11 month old to poop. And I, like
    some of the others, couldn't go for several days. And I had horrible
    gas like cramps too.

D* isn't too much of a prob for me. I just don't like my stomach feeling funny as it can before d*...If I have a strange feeling in my stomach I literally pray its gonna be d*rather than the nasty nastyv*.

At the end ofthe day we are emets notd* phobics so I do not thinkit too strange that we can cope with the d*. I can understand why some find ithard - purely cos itis associated with the other and it means the stomach isn't quite right....

In answer to your question only take immodium if you feel youreally must. Itry not to take it as i do not like what I associateit with (that issv*s).

Hope allis ok[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    <font face=\"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Reach for the moon - even if you miss you\'ll be amongst the stars...</font>

I've taken the recommended dose one time when I had my period b/c I had loose stool. It backed me up for a week. I then got terrible stomach cramps that wouldn't go away. I had to go to the bathroom, but couldn't b/c the Imodium backed me up. I would rather have d* then experience that again. I only take it if I really really need it.
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

I've taken Immodium "just in case" on numerous occasions. I travel so much
    and I spent plenty of times where if I had to go, I couldn't...

Immodium CAN do a number on your stomach, but that applies mostly to
    people who don't drink enough WATER. The Immodium soaks up all the
    moisture in your belly, and you have to drink water water water when you
    take it.

Immodium is my best friend. I should have shares in the company!

I often take it "just in case" when I go out to dinner so I can enjoy myself and eat what I want and not have to go running to the bathroom!

I took it a lot more a few years ago, but I still buy it by the bottle and not the small box. Needless to say, I only take half of one unless I am really pooping water ( I know that was nasty). I get very backed up and gassy pains too if I take it and don't need it. I try to only do it when necessary and I will if I am traveling or if going to a strange restaurant I get D* sometimes from nerves before I go, so I take one then as well.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

I always keep some on me, and always at work have one in my pocket as a "just incase" and usually just knowing it is there helps, I try my best to not take it unless I really need to or unless I'm just sick of dealing with the loose erm yea and/or am in a situacion where I fear I may need to go like that but can't. It does back me up for a few days and usually when I do go after that its cramping and such. Immodium is great though for peace of mind, the only times I have found that it doesn't work is when I have a stomach bug. For some reason it doesn't do anything then maybe because my stomach can't absorb it because I have a virus or something. I have though taken it as a "just in case" when I haven't probably really needed it, but it just backs me up a few days.

You really shouldn't take it during a sv. The V* and D* is how your body rids
    itself of the ick. If you try to stop that from happening, you will be sick
    longer.

<DIV>I rarely uses Immodium, and definitely not when I have a sv*. People have asked me why not, and my thought is, if everything is flowing out that way, why would I stop it? </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>A few yrs ago my father-in-law passed away and I was stressed out. We had a new baby, and I was really concerned for my wife. I did not have bad d*, but very loose and often bm's. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I took Immodium that time...really helped me get through the wake and funeral. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I am not what you call a fan of medicine....so, I do not take things to often.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>As for some references to being a weird emet because you do not mind d*. I like to think of d* as my friend, at least when a sv* is concerned, cause at least it is coming out one way, and for me, the better way! </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Plus, I think Emet's is about the fear of v*, so, if one is scared of d*, we may have to go look that one up. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]</DIV>
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)