Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I swear! I hate this crap. My husband took my son to church for an hour long service where there are tons of kids and I didnt want him to go for fear of catching something. Sv's are going around REAL bad here and I know someone has to have had it or has it that's there.

I am going to be worried for another few days.

I cant take this anymore![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Debbie,

I am right there with you. I don't want my kids going anywhere. My husband wanted to take them out to lunch and I was whoa.............. no way. He said you are such a germ nut. No I am not - just an emet. There has been so much sv around that I don't want to take chances if I don't have to. I don't know if we are on the rise with this and its still going to get worse or if we are on the downslide. Either way, I want to be safer than sorry.

Stella

Unfortunately, my husband took him. He can be a jerk...he says he needs to socialize with other kids and he does but after the stuff I heard in the doctors office earlier in the week I just know "its" in that church somewhere. I had just gotten over the worry from being in the doctors office.

All I can do is just hope he doesnt comein contact with it. Hopefully he will sit with my husband during the service.

This sucks...REAL bad. On top of everything else my mom just got out of surgery and she is running a temperature of 102. I am having lots of braxton hicks contractions too. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img] It wouldnt surprise me if they didnt me us home a sv...[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Maybe you two could let the kids go out to more places in the spring and summer to make up for the winters?

I know how you feel Debbie. I don't want to take my 19 month old daughter anywhere. I'm so terrified of us getting another sv (she had one back in December). I really hate it since I don't want to limit my daughter's social activity and make her an emet as well.

I've got my fingers crossed he didn't pick up a bug at church [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Nikki

Debbie, I know how you feel...I have been taking my son places all week and I have been a mess over what he will catch, but I can't keep him locked up. He is 4 and I don;t want him to be like me. I have really tried to make him understand the hands away from mouth, nose and eyes and except for one time when I caught him picking his nose the other day at the mall, he is pretty good. We can't keep them from everything, but I know we would love to try.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you since you have made it so long from the Pediatricians office, you should be fine from that and the Church thing will be fine.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

you know if you think about it he is right he needs to be with other kids to socialize and have fun we as emet mothers cant be that way with are kids its not fair to them they are young and they need to have fun they dont know the difference and if we hover over them like that they will become emet and u dont want that

Debbie,

First off I hope that you and the kids are fine and healthy and you
    have not had any exposure to anything. I like reading your posts,
    you sound a great mom, with some great kids. I also do not think
    you are being selfish, you have natural concerns as a human and as a
    parent, I think this shows you are a good caring person.

You know, I put off having kids for many years for the very fear that
    they would mix with other kids, come home with a sv, infect me, i would
    v* and I would hate it. Last year myself and my wife decided that
    we would start a family (after our best friend had the cutest little
    baby girl ever) and I seriously think that it has helped my emet.
    I know that he has to mix with other kids, and at the moment I am
    trying to get him to mix with as many as possible for his social
    development. I know he is going to get sick, and I know that he
    is going to bring it into the house, and at the moment I am sort of
    fine with that. I think one of the reasons I am fine is that we
    have our precautions, we have the knowledge to wash our hands and
    to disinfect everything when the kids are ill, to try and limit the
    exposure if at all possible. I have my packs of motilium around
    the house. All these things give me reassurance and for me at the
    moment I am managing to control my emet.

Having said that, I don't like my wife taking him to mass as
    there is just too great a gathering of people (I am protestant, wife is
    catholic - we live in Ireland, I get sundays off [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img])
    and I KNOW that people will go to mass if they are on their death bed
    as they feel that they just have to be there. Also as Liam is 5
    months old (today as a matter of fact) I don't see any benefit for him
    being at mass. And so I am with Debbie on that one. Saying
    that though, in that gathering of people most illness you are likely to catch would be an
    airborne respiratory illness from people coughing and most likely not sv.

stella9 - you say your husband calls you a 'germ nut', well do you know
    what, take it as a complement. I am being accused of it all the
    time, and as a result I probably know more about viruses (particularly
    those that cause sv), their epidemiology, and their effects than most
    virology students. I even lecture on virology now on the strength
    of my knowledge.

Sorry, as usual my posts has rambled, got off the subject and have gone nowhere really. Sounds just like me really.

Iain

Edited by: thegooddr

Thanks for your great replies. He did go and then went to eat afterwards. He had a good time and thats what counts. I know that my kids need to socialize so thats why they do go places. I just try to stay away from heavy populated areas because it is the peak of flu season AND sv season. I am immunocompromised due to being pregnant and I do not want the flu or a sv. I did not get a flu shot this season. I think we are on the downslide of things, especially the flu. I believe it has peaked already. I hope.

I was not like this with my first son. I didnt worry and if he got sick it was just something I dealt with. I really would love to be like that now. You would figure since I am a nurse that I would handle thingsa little better, but I dont. I know that when we get sick we get over it. I feel extremely fortunate that I do have a healthy family with nothing major so that helps me to get through too.

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I remember feeling like you when my kids were young (they're 30, 24 and 21 now), however I was always a "martyr" and believed it was wrong to keep them away from other kids, because of my problem. So I let them go everywhere all the time. And I worried all the time. But you know what? They didn't get particularly sick - my son never caught anything, and my daughters may have caught something just once, and it wasn't all that bad. I don't think they gotas much asmost of the kids talked about on this board whose mothers keep them home and squeaky clean all the time. My belief (and there's some evidence to back this up) is that keeping your kid cloistered away means they end up with no immune system whatsoever. So if ever they DO get exposed to a bug - bang - they've got it and in spades. I kept them fed well, rested, exercised and happy as much as I could. And they were healthy. There's a lot more to immune-system breakdowns than just keeping your kids at home.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage,

You are absolutely right. I really do need to get my kids more involved. They do go places and do things. BUT I do homeschool (not because of emet) I have been homeschooling my oldest for awhile now. I like homeschooling but its starting to wear on me. I am in need of a break. It seems like a germ fest out there right now though. I just wish I could be the way I used to be. My husband says "So what if we get sick, we have been getting sick since time started" Yes we have. He is trying to get me to "reprogram" my subconscious mind. He says that I have implanted these unwanted thoughts in my head. He's right I know. I am much better than what I used to be (like last year) but the fear is STILL there. UGH!