Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Just when I started to feel safe that February is coming to an end and spring is almost here -

I live in Eastern PA and it's all over the news that there areoutbreaks of the Norovirus hitting several schools, hospitals, and daycares all around me.I've seen about the regular cold flu outbreaks on the news before, but never anything about the sv* outbreaks except for on cruise ships. I was so happy to know that not too many people around me (work, family, daughters class, etc.) were sick with the sv*, just bad colds. But here we go now, it's been on the news for the past week now that the sv* is spreading rapidly throughout the New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania area.

I was just in a terrible accident last week, I am 7 1/2 months pregnant, and then caught a cold this week and I just don't need anything else like this to happen right now. My 5 year old is in kindergarten and I'm so paniced that she is going to catch it. UGH! I wish May was here and winter was over and I could calm down a bit.

Just wanted to vent since I can't stop worrying. Wishing you and your family all good health! -Alissa

Alissa,

I was just reading those reports from PA and NJ, and it seems as though
    they are not current reports. The reason I say that is that they
    ahve already done the diagnosis from stool cultures, which takes some
    time to do. Also the report I read in the morning call online had
    evevrything in the past tense, so i am not sure if the outbreak is
    still going on. Also, and iI think it is the first time I have
    ever seen a media report do this, but it lists a fair few places which
    have said that they have NOT had any problems with norovirus (
    St. Luke's Hospital-Fountain Hill, Easton
    Hospital in Wilson, Gracedale nursing home in Northampton County,
    Sacred Heart Hospital and Good Shepherd Rehabilitation Network).
    As usual the media focuses on the few cases of outbreaks for pure media
    sensationalisation rather than true accurate informative reporting.

If you take the usual precautions then you can seriously limit any
    chance that you have of catching this. Wishing you well, and good
    luck for the final few weeks of your pregnancy.

Take care,

Iain

</span>

Ditto what Iain said. Did you read the article that Japa posted? I think the thread is "article from alternative media". It talks about how the gov and media misrepresent the prevalence and dangerousness of the flu- I am assuming that the same pertains to other types of illnesses as well. To the media it's a great story that hits close to home- put a teaser for that story in a commercial and guaranteed ratings.

Other than completely quarantining your family, or buying hasmat suits, all you can do is take your regular precautions, and make sure that your daughter washes up while at school and before eating. It may not seem like much, but it does make a difference. Hope you stay well, and remain healthy until bebe#2 is born!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

yes, truly.
    the media is NUTS.
    dont even watch the news anymore.
    almost everything they report is not so much based
    on substantial evidence..but fear. trying to scare you.
    because at some point it results in consumption of a product.

stay healthy. wash wash wash your hands. you'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. I do wash, wash, wash, and instill the same habits in my daughter too. They actually just sent home a "Tips from the Nurses Office" flyer on Friday reminding parents the importance of handwashing after using the bathroom and prior to eating. They also advised parents NOT to send their children to school if they were v*ing or had d*within the last 24 hours or have a stomachache and show no interest in food. Thank god they are taking the proper precautions so that this %&amp;$* doesn't spread.

Iain, thanks for the information. I was actually at the ER at Easton Hosptial in Wilson, Pa lastnight to have my foot xrayed from my accident and the nurse did tell me that there have been tons of people in with v* and d* but nothing different than every other winter season so that's reassuring I guess. And thank god lastnight at 11pm while I was there the ER was quiet with mostly injuires and one child with just a rash.

Thanks everyone who commented, I'll keep handwashing and staying as sanitary as possible to avoid getting it in our family. I know the media needs a good story....but as an emet it just brings out the panic in me. LOL!

Iain, how do you access these reports? Do you suscribe to some sort of service or are they free? I'm very curious to read about these sorts of things as I'm interested in epidemiology and also want to know what's going around.

Nikki

Hey all... haven't been here in a long time But It's not an old article that aar13 read. I live in southeastern PA also. In NJ, 700 kids were out of school on thursday feb 23with norovirus and friday 1400 kids were out. They sent everyone home at 11am that day. Then Friday night reporsts came out of one hospital and 2 nursing homes with the same outbreak (stemming from a daycare center) in PA. It's gross beccause they were interviewing kids from the school and they were saying kids were just getting sick all over the school hallways. Ew.. our worst nightmare because you're esentially stuck in school and cant leave! I wonder how many emetophobes go there!!! I agree, the media sucks ass, but maybe it's good that they report these things because Maybe it can remind those people who sometimes forget to WASH YOUR HANDS AND DONT SHARE FOOD AND DRINK STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    instant messenger-aggiecrafts

Everything happens for a reason

Hi! We are having the same thing happen here in South Carolina. They are doing all kinds of reports on the different SV's that are hitting us hard and closing schools and daycares. It has me scared to death! I HATE this time of the year! i do wash my hands and so do my children and they are also homschooled. BUT I am still having panic attacks and lots of anxiety when I see these in the paper and on the news! They all say to wash your hands BUT there are differences in how long these viruses can live out of the "host". Some reporst have said 24 hours others have said 10 DAYS! I don't know what to believe...I'm just scared.

tshell

Nikki,

Most of the media reports on norovirus can be picked up by doing a
    google search and then looking on the 'News' tab. If you sort by
    date then you can pick up the latest reports at the top of the page.

Some of the info I get does come from scientific journals which I can
    access from work (and at home if I remember the 17 odd passwords I need
    to get through to my work library sever !!!)

Iain

It looks like its all up and down the eastern part of the USA. UGH! I am in Maryland and there is a lot here too.

Oh yea, How is it in the UK? I know there was a lot of it going around there.