Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello everyone[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

It's a long time since I last visited but I've found myself drawn back, hopefully to get some support and advice and in turn, be able to offer some to others.

I'm female, 37 years old (38 on 12th March) and married, no kids.

I'm scheduled to have surgery on 6th March for dental implants. It's something I've dreamed of for many years and I know I'm very lucky to have finally been accepted to have the implants on the NHS but I'm sure I have no need to tell you what I am terrified about.

I'm going for my pre op assessment on Tuesday of this week and I'm going to ask to see an aneasthetist so I can make them aware of my absolute terror. I've also got to try to arrange a side room because there is no way I can be on a ward - with other people *shudder*.

I can't begin to tell you how terrified I am, but I suspect that many of you will know.

Has anyone got any good experiences about having surgery that they can share with me, or any tips or advice?

Thanks [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

as far as feeling sick after surgery..
    my mom has worked in a hosp for like 30 years,
    and says that THANKFULLY anymore the anesthesia
    isnt a bother to people because they pump you full of anti-emetics...

my grandma just had hand surgery in fact, and she woke up without a problem at all.

Also remember you cannot eat for 12 hours before surgery any way so
    there will be absolutely nothing in your stomach. I was fine not even a
    little n*

<DIV>I had a surgery when I was 12 (almost 20 yrs ago) where they knocked me out, and then in 1999 I had my wisdom teeth out where I asked to be knocked out due to my fear of dental work. Not a fear like EMET, just a fear like, I don't want to feel it like I did a cavity one day. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Anywho, been knocked out twice on good drugs (oh and make that three when they put my shoulder back in place) I have never been sick from the knockout drugs. </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Hope this helps.</DIV>
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

Thanks for your replies

The silly thing is that I have actually had two lots of oral surgery in the past (both within the past 7 years or so) and on both occassions, I didn't V. On the first occassion I didn't feel that way at all and on the second occassion, I did feel a littlenauseaus but nothing terrible happened. I'd met with the aneasthetists beforehand and they gave me lots of anti emetic drugs during surgery and they obviously did the trick (although experience one was better than experience two).

But, knowing that I didn't v previously doesn't seem to be helping me as I approach this latest ordeal [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]