Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am feeling stupid about feeling anxious about flying this week. I've been given a fantastic opportunity to go to Hong Kong for a week for work. I really am so lucky! Managed to get a cheap flight and will hopefully be able to do some field work on my research, as well as do some shopping and see relatives!

I generally don't have a problem with flying, I've done it so many times and never had any serious problems, just occasional episodes of random anxiety if it's been very turbulent. Obviously at times I've been wary of other people possibly vomiting, but even when someone did (ALL OVER THEMSELVES, quite horrendous) I coped and it was fine.

My problem is that I have never flown on my own before. I am anxious of being anxious! Stupid isn't it? I worry that if I get anxious, I wont have anyone's hand to hold! It's a long flight too (12 hours)... lots of time to get through. I hope I'm not sitting next to anyone annoying too. Anyway... I haven't got much time to keep worrying about it (going in a day's time)... and I am just praying that it will be OK.

I
    will keep you in my prayers!! You have way more guts than I to go to
    Hong Kong! I promise that it will go wonderfully. I commend you
    for facing your fears.

&nbs p;

&nbs p;
    Sincerely, erin

</span></font></span>

My first flight ever (well, except for the one I took when I was 10 days old), was all by myself. I sat and tapped my feet and literally paniced during take off. I will talk to ANYONE and I happened to strike up a conversation with someone sitting across the isle from me. He saw me "running" and asked me where I was going - I simply replied, "as far away from here as I can get!" We then talked most of the flight and everything turned out fine.

Just bring some comforting items with you on the plane and hopefully try and get some rest. I find it easier to escape on a flight when I have my headset and a good book. I just create a little box around myself and ignore the world! I also bring my stuffed animal (yes, silly...) and just try and relax. I know that getting all spastic on the plane won't help me or anyone else.

You will have a great time though. I have also been known to sit and daydream about all of the fun things I would do once I got off the plane and how flying is the fastest way to get to my destination next to teleportation (which has yet to be invented). Enjoy your flight and post an update after you get back. Will be thinking about you [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Believe it or not- on long flights, sometimes it's a good thing that you are on your own. A good friend and I just got back from Australia- which meant that we drove to NY from Ottawa (about 8 hours), and flew 20 hours (with a 1 hr layover in Tahiti). After the first 10 hours, we were pretty much in the mode of 'don't talk to me, don't look at me, I'm tired, can't get comfortable, and I think I am starting to smell'. In fact, there were two empty seats in front of hours so she migrated there and we didn't talk until we landed [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img].

Just make sure you bring some good music- when in doubt put on those little eyemasks the airline provides and slap on the headphones- I figure if I can't see it or hear it it doesn't exist. Not the best philosophy for everyday life, but on an airplane a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

Have an amazing time.....I'm jealous!

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys. It really does make a difference getting responses for people. I'm feeling pretty excited now, which is helping to put me at ease, thinking of all the things I have to do in the short time I'm there. I'm going to try and stay up late tonight (flying tomorrow midday) so that I will be exhausted for the flight and can get some shut eye

I know how you feel...I am flying to Aruba Memorial Weekend...and I am in a panic about it myself. I have flown before...but it's been about 14 yrs ago...so i am not used to it. I am scared....but i want to go to Aruba...i have never been to an island before and the trip is free with my sister...so i am mad at myself for being so scared and silly over this. I will be taking plenty of zanax for the trip....i hate feeling this way about something so exciting. I hope your flight goes well and that you enjoy your trip. You will be flying much longer than i will...but hopefully everything will be good for you.
    Kate

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

You will be fine! I flew to Australia on my own once and was fine. You can speak to people if you want to and not if you don't! It is true what Amber says, you are so tired at times that you don't want anyone about anyway, due to grumpiness etc etc!

Enjoy yourself and make the most of it![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Hey everyone, I got back from Hong Kong about a week ago. It was a terrific trip, if a little short and mad busy! The flight there was fine, I made sure I got an aisle seat. The flight back was quite turbulent for the first 2 hours but I just got my head down and tried to sleep - prior to the flight I had been really anxious and that was quite horrid and unexplained and I think largely due to exhaustion!

My only seriously disturbing experience was on a ferry to one of the islands... it was so so so rough. The choppiest boat journey I have ever been on, it was literally up and down 6ft or something! Fortunately a short journey but sick bags in front of every seat... I just closed my eyes and looked forward to reaching land. My cousin was feeling sick next to me but fortunately was OK...

Ah! The ferry will get you everytime. They are evil and should be destroyed.

I hate ferry's...will avoid them at all costs, but I find concentrating on something usually gets me through!

Glad you had a good trip, you've overcome something pretty big and that is definitly a good thing!