Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm in the middle of my worst nightmare. There has been a rampant outbreak of sv* on my campus. Already, 60 people have been taken to the hospital and everyone has it. They cancelled all events over the weekend and told the students to have as little contact with others as possible.

I'm paralyzed with fear. I'm on the edge of tears constantly, afraid to eat, and worse, no one understands what i'm going through. I won't eat in the dining halls for at least a week but classes start tomorrow and I can't miss a week of class. I hate that I'm afraid, but worse I hate being afraid infront of others. My best friend asks me again and again why, if i hate it so much, don't I change?

What can I do? I can't live like this... how do you help those around you to understand the seriousness of this fear? Can anyone offer support or help?

Hi there,

Firstly welcome to the group.

Secondly the next thing to remember is that NOT everyone has it. You haven't got it, so therefore not everyone has got it. Think about, think about your college friends, how many of them have it, I imagine a few, but can you honestly say that everyone you know is currently sick with a sv ?

That said, you most likely are in the grip of a small outbreak, it happens, and it always will. However YOU are the most important person in keeping yourself healthy. Wash your hands as frequently as you can, when you wash them sing happy birthday to yourself twice before you finally rinse your hands and dry them on a clean disposable paper towel. This action is going to seriously limit the chances of you being infected. Don't rub your eyes, don't put your hands in your mouth, don't bite your nails, don't accept food off people you know have been ill. Try and avoid bathroom areas where people have been actively ill. If you have to use the bathroom, then make sure before you leave it, go through your handwash procedure. Also a good diet is going to help you immensly, good diet = good immune system = higher resistance to sv.

I was at University as a student for 7 years, and have worked in a university for the past 6 years, and during that time, eventhough there have meen multiple outbreaks of sv, I have never got sick with it a single time.

I remember reading once that when there is an outbreak of sv in a closed environment, ie school, hospital, care home etc etc that an outbreak lasts on average 11 days from first case being identified to the last person getting ill, the peak of which is the 3-5th day.

Stay clean, stay helathy and let us now how you get on and come back and talk to us if you have any need to talk.

Iain

My son is on spring break and I asked him if there is any flu's going around and he said I don't know. Being sick doesn't faze him at all. When he came home for Christmas break I bought him a bunch of hand sanitizers. He knows about my phobia so he said thanks Mom. He does use them. Just make sure you use the sanitzers, eat properly, and wash your hands. You will be fine. I agree with Iain, remember not everyone has it. Stay positive.

what college do you go to

How are you doing? Where do you go to school?? "Outbreaks" happen all the time, especially in dorms. My college had trouble with it almost every year because the students were so close with each other. I only caught it once and I didn't V* - my roommate and suitemates didn't catch it either.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things are going better. Less people are sick, but classes are still fairly empty and I'm still refusing to eat in the dining halls. Whenever I go to class i have to wipe down the chairs with clorox wipes before i can touch them and i feel like i'm addicted to Purell.

I go to Goucher College in Baltimore. This is the worst epidemic they've seen. It's seriously not like just an outbreak of it in one dorm, it's all over the school--teachers have it, food service staff have it, and students of course.

Thanks so much for your support! I don't know what I would have done if i hadn't realized that I'm not alone in this. I'm very open with people about being an emet but they still generally look like i'm cray and my parents are notorious for telling me that it's hard for people to love me when I go to such extremes with such a normal occurance as v*. I'll post again soon, thanks again.

My sister lives in Baltimore, and my nephew got over this virus that's going around, he had some diarrhea and v'ed once, but he said it wasn't that bad!! And he's only 9 (tomorrow[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]) so just think that your more mature immune system will deal much better than his did!!

I feel so bad for you. I know if it was me I wouldn't be going to school. But you should go, just keep your hands clean, wash them good, use Purell. You said everyone has it. You mean ALL students and ALL faculty, everyone?

People are going to the hospital? How bad off are they?

<DIV>I do not want to say anything bad, but, I see this all the time. People get a sv* and get severe d* and v* and they call 9-1-1 and have us transport them to the hospital. Man, these calls make me nuts! I mean, if I get sick, I stay home! </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>With that being said, I don't think a sv* is a true reason to go to the hospital, but some people get so much pain they do not know what to do. It seems that they think the hospital has some miracle for them, but to be honest, I think they give them IV fluids and let them do their thing! </DIV>
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot
    <DIV>I do not want to say anything bad, but, I see this all the time. People get a sv* and get severe d* and v* and they call 9-1-1 and have us transport them to the hospital. Man, these calls make me nuts! I mean, if I get sick, I stay home! </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>With that being said, I don't think a sv* is a true reason to go to the hospital, but some people get so much pain they do not know what to do. It seems that they think the hospital has some miracle for them, but to be honest, I think they give them IV fluids and let them do their thing! </DIV>

Dehydration is a serious thing. SV's can also mimic other illnesses too, so some people just want to make sure it isn't that something else (appendix, gallbladder, bowel obstruction, ovarian cyst, etc...).
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.