Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

It would be a good idea if we had something that only we knew about that we were emetophobic and could tell that others are too.

I often sit on the train (worrying and looking at people the way they look or are behaving, i.e. sick etc etc) and I wonder whether I am sitting next to or opposite somebody that is also emet.

Sounds mad but I think it would be a good thing to know! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

we could all wear a sign that says " don't throw up on me" hehe.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Or we could tattoo a big "E" on our foreheads....kind of like the Scarlet Letter. lol
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Or you could identify me, the cold and clammy 16 year old cowering in the corner.

Whoo, totally just abused the letter c

Do you know that the silly thing is theres probably so many more of us "out there" that actually you'd be seeing people all over the place, on the train, in thesupermarket, doctors etc.......

I think I workwith a couple of girls who are the same, one always has antibacterial wipes in her drawer and cleans her desk, keyboard frequently, but how do you say "doyou have emet without her thinking Im a total freak and wondering what Im talking about!!" The other has 2 children but looks after them when they are sick but is incredibly anxious about herself.

I just dont feel ready to discuss this with them in case Im wrong!!

(The irony is IBS sufferers can carry a card that they can show to people/shops etc if they need to use the loo desperately)

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Why not just talk about our fears of V* more and find people that way? This is what I'm doing and I'm finding people with various levels of emet EVERYWHERE!
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by laneyb

Do you know that the silly thing is theres probably so many more of us "out there" that actually you'd be seeing people all over the place, on the train, in thesupermarket, doctors etc.......

I think I workwith a couple of girls who are the same, one always has antibacterial wipes in her drawer and cleans her desk, keyboard frequently, but how do you say "doyou have emet without her thinking Im a total freak and wondering what Im talking about!!" The other has 2 children but looks after them when they are sick but is incredibly anxious about herself.

I just dont feel ready to discuss this with them in case Im wrong!!

(The irony is IBS sufferers can carry a card that they can show to people/shops etc if they need to use the loo desperately)

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

<DIV>
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Nice, they geta card! Well, I am sure since we are not in a hurry to v*, we don't needa card, however, if we could get a chill pill or something, that would be nice!</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>As for identifying a fellow EMET, find one sick person, and I am sure the EMET will turn white too! </DIV>Edited by: slingshot
    CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

I've found quite a few people that have some degree of Emet. Not as much as me but I was talking to one guy who said that his daughter went through a period of time where she was TOTALLY TERRIFIED of V*ing. I also met a girl who won't eat lasagna any more cause she V*ed it up once.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

i have only met one other emet, which is weird considering it's apparently one of the top ten phobias. i've met people who hate v*, but who doesn't? have any of you ever met another emet?
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

You can spot an emet at the supermarket, reaching back in the cooler for "colder" ones of everything. Their cart is apt to contain white rice, Sprite, unsalted breadsticks, etc. Also watch for them to use Purell after handling anything with protein in it.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^ Ahh, some good points there Doug! I saw a lady exiting the public loos the other day, opening the door with her little finger, then dashing through before any other part of it touched her. I just grinned and thought "Emet!"

I remembertalking to an old friend once about how much I hated v*ing, and shesaid to me "I would rather die than v*!" - but this was years ago, before I knew what emet was. I really must look her up someday, see if she's still the same.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I used sit opposite this one girl at work and one day I admitted how much I hated anything to do with v*. She surprised me when she replied that she goes into utter panic, shaking and everything if she feels nauseous. At that time I'd never heard of emetophobia and didn't think anybody else reacted this way!

I'm also good friends with somebody who, when I first spoke about emetophobia, said she hated anything to do with it. She used to be a teacher and she said she could cope with anything the kids did apart from when they v*ed.

The best thing I have ever done with regards to emetophobia is to start being open about it - it seems to have given the phobia less power, and friends are able to give me support and help if a v* situation arises and I start panicking. I think many people who suffer with this phobia are embarassed or ashamed of how they feel so don't admit to it - it's just the way I used to feel, until that is,I heard I wasn't so weird afterall as there were thousands of people in the world felt the same as me. So we probably know quite a few emetophobes personally it's just that they aren't open about it.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

if anyone wants to spot me out... i'll be the one standing for20 minutes in front of the "cold food"aisle ..particularly the yogurt section..making sure that the 1800 yogurts i buy arent expired. and sometimes i cant FIND the xpiration date so im flipping things over and over like a maniac...

I have never met an emet in person.. I wish I could. But I did spot one for a split second once. I was at a restaurant when a kid v*ed on the table next to me. I ran for the door, and one lady beat me to it. She was all the way across the parking lot by the time I got out the door. hehe.. I wish I could have talked to her, but she was long gone.

--Kim

I've never met anyone either[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

My mums friend hates v* but she knows there's a virus and says she doesn't have it.

xxx. really want to meet one...hehe really be convinced I'm not crazy. xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

Where are you from in the UK - ham_crisp?

I don't think just because someone says they HATE V* or they refuse to touch bathroom doors means they are emet. A lot of people hate touching bathroom doors. My co-worker and I fight over the Purell bottle and talk about how gross V* is, but I know she doesn't panic when she feels sick or sees/hears other people.

Same with my mom - she says she will pretty much do anything not to V* when she feels sick, but when she does, she is not all anxious about it like me. LIke someone else said, I think everyone hates it - I mean it's not a pleasant experience, but I wouldn't consider that a phobia. I think it becomes a phobia when develop disordered behavior because of it, ie obsessive compulsiveness, anxiety, avoidance, etc.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1

You can spot an emet at the supermarket, reaching back in the cooler for "colder" ones of everything. Their cart is apt to contain white rice, Sprite, unsalted breadsticks, etc. Also watch for them to use Purell after handling anything with protein in it.

Doug

That cart just sounds like a parent buying food for their child sick with a SV or buying food for someone whose ulcer is acting up.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

Quote Originally Posted by neesy
    Where are you from in the UK - ham_crisp?
    I'm from Norfolk...Norwich to be precise.

xxx.
    <font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

Quote Originally Posted by purpleteacher

Why not just talk about our fears of V* more and find people that way? This is what I'm doing and I'm finding people with various levels of emet EVERYWHERE!

Definitely agree here. If you talk about it more with others, even in casual conversation, guaranteed you will meet others with the same problem.

New Years- after I gave the people I was partying with the full out warning of "If you drink too much and are sick, A) I'm not taking care of you, and B) my ass is outta here!", another girl in the group went "dude, I'm with you". Apparently her brother would get really bad projectile vomitting episodes when they went on roadtrips as kids, and now she is forever scarred, lol.

Another time it came up in conversation when I was on a double date with a friend and her boyfriend, and he turned completely white. Apparently he is so phobic he can't even talk about it, and in the past has left people who he was supposed to drive home because they drank too much and were sick.

I think that in general, if you are more open about it, you will be surprised at the results.

*amber*