Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Subway Horror

Hi!

Well this is my first message on the IES forums, but it's not going to be
    something very cheerful. So what got me writing is this horrible thing that
    happened to me last week. I'll get straight to the point.

*** SENSITIVE SOULS, A FEW DISTURBING DESCRIPTIONS FOLLOW***

I was on my way to college. I live in Paris and have to take the subway
    every single day to go places around here (mostly college). So there I was
    in the metro, minding my own business, reading Paul Auster. Then, all of
    a sudden, through the screeching noise of the wheels and tracks, I hear
    this evil sound of something liquid splatter against the ground. My
    emetophobic reflex sort of gave me the idea of what that was going to be,
    but I had to look to make sure. My worst fear came true. And it was right
    there in front of me. In this monstrous puddle. I saw this lady on her seat,
    bending over and doing it. Just like that. As if it were something as
    normal as rubbing an itching eye or something. As if the place were
    meant for her to do THE DEED.

I thought I would follow, but I didn't (and I'm so glad, I didn't). I was
    frozen. I wanted to run, but my mind was busy contemplating what it had
    just seen. I was so angry. I wanted to cry. Why couldn't she just get off at
    one stop and do it? There's not even a minute's distance between 2
    stations. Why did she just have to make others' lives miserable? Some
    people just don't care...

This image has been haunting me for over a week now. Its hard for me to
    even let a moment pass by without thinking about it. We humans are
    crazy. We think most about things we loathe. Although I try to tell myself
    that throwing up is part of our life, I just can't get myself to accept it. It's
    weird to be afraid of a bodily function...

I just had to share this. Like we all know, emetos are not always
    surrounded by fellow-emetos (atleast not in my case...). I hope this will
    help. I feel bad for the (poor) sick lady I hated so much. I was too lame, to
    angry and too emetophobic to help her. Other people around her did help
    her out though. I can't figure how! As for me, I finally mustered up the
    courage to run out. I walked my way home.

Thats all from me. See you around.

P.S. Glad to be a part of these Forums! You all seem great!

Wow I'm sorry you had to see that, it must have SUCKED! I remember there was this one time where I was riding the bus and this drunk guy had passed out in one of the front seats and I kept staring at him cause I was SO Afraid that he would wake up and vomit. I ended up getting off the bus two stops early just incase he would vomit. I walked through a bad part of town AT NIGHT just to avoid it...and he didn't even DO anything! I know how you feel, people really should GET off a train or a bus before they vomit...it's disgusting!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

see, if that had happened to me...
    i would've immediately gotten up and went far far far far far far away from it.

Hi Monica,

Normally I scan every place before I enter. I avoid the tipsy and the "vomit-prone" kinds (as an emet, you can somehow tell who looks well and who doesn't. Sometimes we are wrong in judging them, but hey, what won't we give to not have to be around puke!). That morning was no exception. The lady looked perfectly normal... just like others on their way to work at that time of the day...

Liz28,

In times like these, you just can't think straight. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

One time I was on the underground. We pulled into the station and as we do I hear this weird burp thing and look to see a woman covering her mouth with her hand. I guessed what was going on and so moved to the other door (as it was our stop) and got off, as we do I see her get off and V* on the platform. I just went into some kind of shock and carried on walking. Because I didn't say anything my friend (who knows I'm emet) didn't mention it at all in case I hadn't seen it she didn't want to upset me. It was really gross. Well ANYWAY looking back this was a triumph for me, for not panicking etc and this is a triumph in a way for you too, for not diving off lol. I know it's hard to erase but you will. *hugs*
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Awwwhh.... I feel so sorry for the person getting sick. Getting sick in public can't be easy for anyone, especially on public transportation. I was always afraid someone would V* while I was riding the bus to and from work where I used to live. The fear always got worse on a crowded bus with the "work rush".

You made it through though, which is a major triumph!!! Wow! Welcome :-P
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I know I had a (kinda) similar experiencea year ago.

I was walking back to work when I heard this strange kinda noise, I turned round and saw this women v* all over the pavement (she was about 10 feet from me) . I was so grossed out that I ran back to work and took an anxiety pill. It then took several texts to my hubby (who knows of my fear) beforeI actually calmed down. I avioded the area for about a week.

However if I close my eyes I can still envisage the whole situation (noise etc.......)

Thefeeling will subside, you just have to try and put it to the back of your mind and carry on......

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I remember a kid in second grade getting sick his first day of school in music class after lunch, right in front of everyone. I was petrified and felt funny for weeks afterward to be around him because any moment I was sure he would do it again. It was traumatizing to say the least I graduated with him and always thought back to his first day of school and what he did!! But on the other hand, you would think a grown up would have more control.

Welcome, pidgit! Sorry you had to witness that, how shocking! I too can't figure out how v*ing can be such a normal occurance for some people, and they'll just do it, with as much ease as spitting out chewing gum, or something similar! I had the same experience, on my wayhome one day on the train>____< a girl just did it, all down her front, and all over her bag and timetable, which she was holding. Its so alarming when it happens so close to you, and it can haunt you for days afterwards.

By the title of your message, I was scared that you were talking about Subway, as in the sandwich bar! lol, I washoping not, as I swear by that place!
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"