Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hi everyone, im new to this forum, so i hope non of you mind me posting

im 15 and ive had this phobia since i was about 11. in the past 2 years i have also developed MDD (major depressive disorder) and anorexia nervosa.

my doctors are considering putting me on some sort of anti-depressant (SSRI) but im worried that when i frist start taking the drug, itll make me vomit. does anyone have any advice on this?

thanks, lucie xXx[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

lucie, i am very against taking meds for stuff like depression and the etc...
    have they convinced you that you're extremely sad..or DO you feel sad all the time? or are some days so much better than the others?? how do YOU feel on a daily basis?

for most emets, we all deal with anorexic tendencies from time to time.
    sometimes i'll eat like a hog, otherdays i wont eat at all.
    usually from the fear that i was exposed to someone and will be sick.

Oh Lucy...you are so young....too young to be going through all of this...and you are adorably cute too....i have a 15 yr old son who i think may be alittle depressed also. I do know that some ssri's could possibly make you feel sick...so be sure you are under good doctor care. And don't take them if you feel this is not what you need. Young girls are way too hard on themselves these days about their weight....and believe me, i used to be the same way...i have gotten over that now. I am almost 40 so I really want to give you some encouragement here. I feel so sad for you and your situation....so young to be dealing with all this. Welcome to this site...you will find great comfort and tons of support from everyone..they are all great here. What have your parents said about all of this? Have you talked to them about it at all? Do you have close friends to talk to? The anorexia really scared me for you....please know that you have to eat to be healthy...i am no expert by any means, and i really don't have alot of knowledge on anorexia but i do know that you are worth more than that ok....please please don't do this to yourself...you are so worthmore than that....please stay on here and talk to us about this.......i wish you the best dear.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

thankyou so much for your commentsand support, they mean so much to me[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

in reply to your questions.....we have discovered (through a phyciatrist) that i developed anorexia as a way of coping with anxiety. when i was younger, about 7 or 8, my mum noticed me not eating much i always had to be reminded to eat, and when all the peices were put together, we realised the more anxious i was about something, the less i would eat.

i do worry about being fat, but anrorexias not really about my weight, its about coping with the anxiety of throwing up, and the whole isolation thing, of me not feeling safe enough to go any further than to school and back, has made the depression worse, which is why im being put on medication.....i was told one of the side effects was vomiting....

thankyou so much for your support, it means the world to me just knowing theres people out there going through the same thing as me. i was shocked by the number of epople that actually have this phobia, i thought i was just wierd. its great ive found this forum, bcos i find it so hard to talk about this phobia, it churns up al sorts of horrible feelings.

anways, thanks again, your great[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

xXx

Hi Lucie,

Welcome to the site. There's good information on the Treatments thread all about this phobia, and how to help or treat it. My advice to people is that you come for support, information, etc. but please don't take medical advice from people on the internet. Your psychiatrist is a trained professional, and he or she alone should help you decide whether to take medication.

Other posters - I know you're well-meaning, but would you want to be responsible for a person's suicide if they didn't take their meds on your advice? I think it's best to point people toward good medical help, rather than to tell them not to take medication. You've no idea of her symptoms, diagnosis, etc.

Also Lucie, if you fear vomiting with the SSRIs (even though we all know you won't, cuz most people don't anyway so for SURE someone with a phobia of vomiting won't)...but nevertheless tell this to your doctor. Get reassurance from them, or get them to prescribe a really good anti-emetic drug to go with the anti-depressant. Ask for TONS of information, side-effects, effectiveness, etc. Tell them EXACTLY HOW AFRAID you are - otherwise they won't know.

Good luck!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Heya Lucie[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Welcome to la site. I'm 15 tooo.

hehe as much as I hate the fact you're on here...cos that means you're not happy...it's great that you found it annnnd you're my age.

hope you're ok.

loves me. xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

Hey Lucie!

I'm so glad that you've found the site. I'm fifteen too...[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

About the meds, it's so so unlikely that you'll v* from them, and if you're dealing with depression, it's probably better that you take them.

Post whenever you need to!

&lt;3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Hi Lucie!

Welcome to the site. I hope the site helps you as much as it has helped me. Like Anya said, post whenever, someone is always here to talk !!

\"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I agree with Sage. Meds help wondrously for some and not for others. Let's just be there for all our new members and not sway them. And Lucie, definitely let your doc know and he will choose a med with the least side effects. Good luck and take care!!!

gosh thankyou all so much for your support!![img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]it means the world to me

lucie xXx

Hey Luci! Welcome.

Im actually new too, ive only been involved in this site for about a week now i think and it helps to know that so many other people have the same problems as me. It really does feel good to know that other people know EXACTLY how you feel, and they'll listen to your problems.
    <font color=MAGENTA>You could\'ve told me why you had to go.
    I tried to tell myself==&gt; Just let him go.
    But I see your face ..
    It\'s everywhere I go.
    &lt;/3

</font>

<font size=\"4\">Rachel</font>

Hello! and welcome...I myself am on an ssri...zoloft, and it makes me feel nauseas for about 2 days and then im fine...it never made me v*...I have been on celexa which never made me feel sick orV*... I have found that the antidepressants have haelped a littl ebit with the obsession part of eating...When I was twelve I was diagnosed with anorexia...and for me it was also never about my weight...but about feeling sick and being afraid to eat, I still go through that to this day but it has gotten better. It is very hard to go through emet when you ar e15, I remember it was hard, Do you have any support from family or friends? You have come to the right place take care.