Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: FP or SV?

My friend just called me and asked me how do you tell the difference between FP or SV. I said a fever. That's all I could think of. Are there any other signs? I find this really confusing!!! This is the overview of the situation she was asking about. Her sister was eating a soup like Mr.Noodle, and she said it tasted funny, but she ate it all. Three hours later she was v*ing and had d* every half hour and this happend all night. They didn't have a thermometer, but she had the chills. She woke up this morning and was fine. What does it sound like to you? I think my friend is becoming more like an emet because of me[img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img].

I'm just wondering how you can get FP from a ready made soup???

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

truly bizzarre!
    i know that when i had food poisoning.. it came about 12 hours later... i
    had d*all day and nausea but no v* until midnight..i woke up and my belly
    hurt and i turned over in my bed and a little came out and i turned back
    over and fell asleep! haha! felt fine the next morning.

this is odd.
    i dont see how a packaged soup mix could cause food poisoning??????
    it could be that she had a 24 hour sv*...and shes just thinking it was the
    soup since it was the last thing she ate.

i think it takes more for food to digest in the body before food
    poisnoning would erupt like that. 3 hours is a very short time.

COnsidering the symptoms, it sounds more like a SV*.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

My hubby had fp on Christmas Eve and day this past year. He had
    steak and mushroom fajitas from a resturant around 7 pm. His
    stomach started hurting around 10 pm, the d* started around 1 am,
    and he v* from 3-4 am. He had a fever and horrible stomach pains.
    He said he never really felt n*, just crampy pain that was really bad.
    The v* was sudden, with absolutely no warning, and the most violent
    v* I've ever seen or heard in my life. He was actaully v* blood and
    was having up to 10 "heaves" with each v* session. I almost called
    an ambulance for him when there was blood. Then he just felt really
    bad for about 48 hours - so bad he didn't get out of bed except to
    pee. It took a week before he really felt good again. We know it
    was fp because I called the health dept and they got back to me a
    week or two later to say that 5 other people got fp on Christmas Eve
    from eating the same thing as him at the same restuarant.

It was very icky, and the incident that prompted me to start therapy.
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

You can actually run a fever with both. My daughter had FP and ran a fever of 103. FP can be a sudden onset like a SV or a slow onset...like it may take a few days to see effects. (this was the case with my daughter) I know she had FP (the bacteria was Campylobacter jejuni) because she was hospitalized and had samples taken. (AND the health dept contacted us for 2 negative stool samples) Its really hard to tell which one it is unless you get a stool sample. The symptoms are really the same. I think the stomach cramping can be more intense with food poisoning.

It sounds like a SV to me just because I really doubt that what she ate gave her food poisoning. But you really never know. I am not familiar with Mr. Noodle...is it something in a can?Edited by: madisonsmom

Oh yea...blood is DEFINITELY a symptom of FP! [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Iwould say unless you do a stool culture, there probably isn't any way to tell, since different types of food poisioning cause different symptoms, and all of them are similar to the SV.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Your body temperature can increase due to the dehydration associated with D* and V*.
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This is very interesting topic. I always thought that FP took only a few hrs to develop and that you would actually be sick sooner rather than later. (This could put me in therapy).

So, what we are saying here is, FP can take up to 12 hrs (if not more) before it rears its ugly head? Sounds like it is hard to tell, you just have to hope it passes, no matter what it is.

I figure if I was v* blood, I might have taken myself to the hospital, at least there maybe they could give me the anti-v* stuff....sorry, the name escapes me!

Do you always v* with FP?

CJ
    \"Live Life, Don\'t Analyze It\"
    (Wish I Could Follow That)

the bottom line, is, does it really matter? they both present similar symptoms, and you have to wait them out. Id just be thankful it was over if it was me.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

You can have a fever with food poisoning. Kim

No you dont always v* with FP. My daughter didnt. She had terrible d*. I caught it and only had cramps and d*. My husband and oldest son had both. A lot of people dont understand FP. It is contagious and thats one thing I didnt realize. It can start rather suddenly. It depends on the bacteria that is infecting the person. If you read about campylobacter or ecoli you will see that the incubation can take quite awhile.

Here is a link if you want to read about it

http://www.foodborneillness.com/food_poisoning_faq.htm

I really had no idea that some FP could take weeks to appear. Also, once you have it you can shed it for up to 8 weeks! Depending on the bacteria or fungi...or whatever the cause. I have had fp and I was sick within 4 hours. So it just depends.

When you are confirmed to have fp, the health dept will ask many questions including food you ate DAYS ago. I had to try to recall food Madison ate 5 days prior to her onset of symptoms.Edited by: madisonsmom

here's some info on fp:

Common symptoms of food poisoning
    The symptoms of food poisoning may vary, depending on the type of bacteria causing the illness. When you get sick, you usually experience one or more of the following symptoms:
    <UL>
    <LI>Nausea
    <LI>Stomach cramps
    <LI>Diarrhoea
    <LI>Fever
    <LI>Headaches.</LI>[/list]

Symptoms may vary from mild to very severe. They can occur almost immediately after eating, or a number of hours later. Food poisoning symptoms can last from 24 hours to five days.

Some types of food poisoning are contagious through the fecal-oral route, if the hands are not washed properly before eating or handling food or after using the bathroom.

My sister had salmonella and was hospitalized for one week. They cultured her stools and found the bacteria so we know she had food poisoning. She had a 103 degreefever until the intravenous antibiotics kicked in.

Stella

Great post. Now I'm all worried that the Philly Cheesesteak I had was contaminated or not. I only ate half of it cause I worry about FP anyway but now I'm all scared. It's only been an hour and 43 mins since I ate it...and I feel fine but what if I get FP? I'm scared now...great. Not blaming anyone though I probably just shouldn't have read this post.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Monica,

I am sure your cheesesteak was cooked thoroughly. You should read the link I posted. Dont worry about that. OK? You are gonna be just fine!!

I worry about the same thing though. Not necessarily foodborne bacteria...I wonder if the person cooking or preparing my food was sick or not.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

Quote Originally Posted by kutekim1217
    Some types of food poisoning are contagious through the fecal-oral route, if the hands are not washed properly before eating or handling food or after using the bathroom.

Yes I know. I think I posted that earlier. A lot of people do not realize that some types are contagious.

But all in all, we may never know if we have FP or a SV. The symptoms are so similar. Sit back and think about it...who actually gets stool cultures unless you have really SEVERE symptoms. So it could be either one.

I had FP last summer, and never v*. I had horrible d* and dry h*, but my emet is too strong-my body wouldn't LET me v*. I was actually to the point where I was PRAYING to v* because the h* hurt so badly, but...nothing. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I know it was Salmonella because I got the Salmonella induced arthritis about a week later.

Never eating chicken from McD's ever again! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Oh Katke that sounds terrible!! I don't eat chicken from any fast food place, I'm too scared to. I didn't know you could get arthritis from samonila, that's scary!!

I had FP 3 hours after eating under-cooked chicken once at a BBQ. I didnt v* just had D* but it was awful. Apparently fp can occur anything from 3 hours onwards (although I didnt realise it could come on after a week!).

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

It seems like chicken is a bad culprit for fp. You have to make sure it is cooked thoroughly. That is the key!