Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

When i was in a friends car the other day i started thinking about how it feels to v* And the sick feeling you get when you v*. Then i started to think about how every time i get nausea (sometimes everyday!) i always believe that this could lead to v* when infact i havent v* for years.

I'm a bit confused because it's almost as if i cant tell the difference between real sickness and just a nauceous feeling. If i have any weird taste in my mouth or a feeling of sickness in my stomach i automatically think about v* and this usually leads to me feeling more anxious and thus more sick. My body is so jittery when it comes to stuff like this, that when i feel scared or nervous it automatically makes me feel sick and weak etc...i'm fed up with being on edge and always feeling rough but i dont know what to do about it.

The only technique i use is try to seperate and understand whats going on in my stomach with whats going on in my throat. Sometimes a hot bath helps as it stops you from feeling whats going on in your stomach, and it usually calms me down!

But yeah, it 2.30am and this post didnt make much sense but any comments would be appreciated!

Fiona x

I feel the same way! The more you think about those feelings, the stronger they become. However, 99 times out of 100 it is anxiety. Sometimes I will really try to think of something I love, that makes me really calm and happy. If I feel better, then I know it is anxiety (because I changed my mind!!!).It isn't foolproof but worth a try. Also keep remembering the many times when it was only anxiety....Take care.

Unless you have a gastrointestinal disorder of some sort, serious nausea should not be a daily or even every few days occurrence. So I would say that it's anxiety if you are feeling nauseated all the time.

Sometimes people can get slight queasy feelings that pass in a few minutes, perhaps if they are hungry or if their stomach is settling from just eating. But the frequent nausea that some people on this forum describe sounds like anxiety and excessive focus on the phobia.

yeah i feel exactly the same. i also get this weird 'lump in my throat' which i think feels like vomit coming up from my stomach, but i actually have never been sick after having that feeling so i think it must be anxiety. the weird thing is, I KNOW its stupid but i feel it anyway....i also wretch about fifty times a day, just because i think about being sick. its really horrible cos its like i can never get away from it. like if youre scared of spiders or something you can get away, but feeling sick and being scared of vomiting will always be there. oh yeah also a lot of the time i cant swallow my food, it gets stuck in my throat (i have taken to eating smoothies)

I am the exact same way...last night as I was laying in bed trying to go to sleep...i kept feeling like i was going to v...and there was really no reason for it at all..i had felt really good all day and ate a good dinner and then a nutty buddy afterwards..and felt pretty good going to bed...but then the thoughts started and it went down hill from there...i do believe it's all anxiety over this stupid phobia...and after about 30 mins or so it would not go away and i couldn't shake the feeling, so i took a zanax and i was fine...fell asleep and feel perfectly fine now...who knows..it's all so crazy.
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

same here... That is one of the scary parts, I never know if its jsut anxiety causing it or if I really am sick. I can't tell the difference, it feels the same.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

The first time I v* I tried so hsard to remember the feelings so I could tell the difference but it really didn't work cos it was so sudden.

I hate not knowing the difference I think if I knew then I'd be a lot less worried.

xxx.
    <font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

usually if i dont eat.. i'll possibly still freak out a lot, but not as severe as knowing there is tons of dinner or lunch or breakfastin my stomach, you know?

we should all go on oprah.

Thanks for the replies! It's funny how we all seem to rationalise the feeling with 'well last time i felt like this i was fine....yet i'm still going to freak out about it...'

It's also interesting that most of us seem to have the same coping mechnaisms and feelings about feeling sick. Even last night i sat up straight, put a bucket near my bed and tried to breathe deeply so i would stop feeling sick. Although i dont know why i get the bucket because i keep telling myself i wont v*

I have really bad eating patterns and sometimes it will be 8pm, i'll feel sick and then remember that all ive eaten is a bowl of soup...
    Fiona