Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

If this has been done before, forgive me-I'm a newbie
    [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

How supportive is your partner about your emet?

I'm lucky to have a wonderful husband who will listen to me, distract me during anxiety attacks, and stay up with me until my "safety hour" (2am) on those particularly bad days. He never heard of emetophobia before we started dating, but now reads everything he can find on it, as well as info on foodborne illness and medical facts about SV so that he can be helpful to me when my own rationale fails me.

However, I've known emets whose partners were both non-sympathetic and even rather MEAN about things. [img]smileys/smilies_15.gif[/img]
    I can't imagine.

Hi katke -

My fiance (soon-to-be husband on July 8th!!!) is very supportive. Actually, we just had a conversation tonight about it as I've been having quite a few panic attacks due to people at work (long story). He has always known that I've had an issue with germs, but I confirmed to him last week what it really "is" I'm scared of. He completely understood and says that he hates it as well. Hehe, he is an engineer, so he tries to explain it to me like my body is a machine (which it pretty much is) and if something is wrong, it needs to rid itself of the problem or something along those lines. Anyways, I'm glad that you have a supportive husband as well!! I know that my feelings would be very hurt if he just completely refused to understand me.

My hubby is very understanding.

It took me a long time to tell him about it, however altho weve been together 11yrs, I only found out this thing had a name about 18mths ago.

I talked to him abotu 15mths ago after a particularly bad episode involving major dental treatment (I panicked) and numerous people off work sick. He said it knida made sense of other episodes since wed been together abd hes been really good.

We kinda try and havce a laugh about stuff (I knowits not funny but its my way of dealing with it).

I also told my Dad as he has anxietyissues (but not emt related) and he undertsanbds too. I just cant tell anyone else!!!

Laney

my husband is really supportive of my emt too. he holds me when i get the shakes, tries to talk to me and distract me when im n* and all panicky, and i only just discovered o few days ago that there are others like me, and it has a name!!

so he is encouraging me to find out more about it, and also some possible cures/things to help ease it.

My boyfriend, Matt, is the most caring and supportive person I have ever had in my life in dealing with my emet. At first, he didn't really understand what I was talking about (my favorite one I get when I tell someone I'm emetophobic...I am also a vegetarian so when I say the word and people don't know what it means, I often get, "huh? You're a vegetarian because you're AFRAID of meat?"). After witnessing a few panic attacks and talking more about it with me, I think he finally gets how much I struggle with the phobia and he understands a bit more about me now. He always tries to keep me away from situations in which I will have to deal with seeing someone v- When we go to parties, he makes sure he doesn't drink too much so I won't have to take care of him sick ever. Thefew times he was sick, he told me to stay upstairs in my dorm room and he had a frat brother help him out so I wasn't put in a situation where I had to be around it. He even goes as far as not hanging out with a friend of his around me because I was there on new years when his friend had a little too much to drink and we all had to listen to him v-

I'm really lucky to have him helping me out all the way. But it took me a while to find that too- I've had boyfriends make fun of me and laugh at me or tease me because they don't understand how completely UNFUNNY it is. I guess that happens when you find the right person.

My hubby became my hubby because of this one bonding moment back when we were still friends. He asked me to go to lunch with him on this rainy Saturday, so we went and somehow got into the topic of my anxiety and emet. He was the first person I had ever poured my heart out to about this. We talked for hours, and he told me he had the same sort of anxiety only it was about pooping his pants, LOL. Sounds funny, but he had the same legitimate fear of it that we do of V*. He was so afraid to go places and would get anxiety attacks because he was afriad he wold suddenly get D* and not make it to a bathroom. I guess that happened to him when he was little and he has never forgotten it.

So for the rest of the day we hung out, ended up getting drunk and doing you know what, and we've been together ever since.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

My fiance is very caring. I just discovered emetophobia about 1 week ago, so that's when he disovered it too. He always just thouht I was a germaphobe; he didn't know exactly what sort of germies I feared. I never knew that my phobia was so widespread!

He is trying to be supportive, but he is having a hard time understanding my constant panic so I am looking for my info to give him to read.

My husband is very understanding. He knows it freaks me out and he knew it before he married me. I wrote about it in another post but he stayed up all night one night with my son when he was sick and sent me to bed because I was crying and freaking out so bad. Even when he had to get up at 5 the next morning and drive 4 hours to catch a plane for a trip to Colorado to go skiing. My ex husband was a totally different story. All I heard from him was how stupid I was acting and so what if I got sick, etc etc etc. I am married to the most wonderful man in the world now and I thank God for bringing him into my life for many reasons.

kim

Keep the faith!
    Philippians 4:6-7