Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I find it's a big step to tell your friends and family of your emet, because most find it pretty strange....but the worst thing is that, for me, emet isn't just a fear of seeing/experiencing v*

It's about being overly anxious and allowing anxiety to develop into nausea. It's about not liking being around drunk people and being fearful of the very concept that someone in another room is v*. It's about feeling terrified of the sound of retching, about worrying that you will get a bug from someone. Not to mention feeling trapped and needing escape routes and feeling out of control.

Emet isn't just about disliking v*, which lets face it, we hardly have to be face to face with. It's about avoiding circumstances where there COULD be v*. Like travelling long distance, not wanting to stay at a friends house whereby it would be impossible to get back home in the middle of the night. It's about avoiding alcohol and certain foods. It's about considering NOT having children because th fear is so strong. It's about avoiding medical treatment. All in all, it's about losing your independance.

I just wanted to write this, mainly out of frustration, because i can't believe how black and white some things are to non-emets

Edited by: fifitrixibell

Yes, I can relate and agree that most people do not realise that it effects ALL aspects of your life to the core...it isn't just some dumb fear where your ok unless you happen to stumbl eupon someone sick...It rules and ruins your entire life...Well, I guess it does if you let it...it has to me anyways...The only people who know how much it effects me is the people I live with, forget telling anyone on th eoutside about it and having them understand.

I agree. In health class we were studying phobias and my teacher was looking up a list of the most common ones. When he saw "emetophobia- fear of v*ing" he started to laugh and said that he had never heard of it before. I told him that that is what I have, and he told me that it probably doesn't affect me very much because people don't throw up that often. It really angered me thata teacher, who is supposed to be supportive of you, could be so insesitive to something that constantly affects me. I am always fearful that someone around me will v*. I want to live my life and make decisions without having to worry whether someone will be sick.

I am going to camp this summer and am very nervous that someone will be sick there, especially because I won't be able to leave or talk to my family if someone does. Any suggestions on how to deal?

Fifitrixibell, I cant believe you summed that up so right!!!

That is exactly how I feel but its not easy explaining to anyon else.

I guess its kinda like a social phobia but not that in depth!?!?!

I still come to this site and feel masively relieved when i read posts like this as they make me realise Im not stupid!!

Thanx, Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by rosie

I agree.* In health class we were studying phobias and
    my teacher was looking up a list of the most common ones.* When he saw
    "emetophobia- fear of v*ing" he started to laugh and said that he had
    never heard of it before.* I told him that that is what I have, and he told
    me that it probably doesn't affect me very much because people don't
    throw up that often.* It really angered me that*a teacher, who is supposed
    to be supportive of you, could be so insesitive to something that
    constantly affects me.* I am always fearful that someone around me will
    v*.* I want to live my life and make decisions without having to worry
    whether someone will be sick.*

*I am going to camp this summer and am very nervous that someone
    will be sick there, especially because I won't be able to leave or talk to my
    family if someone does.* Any suggestions on how to deal?
    How long are you going away for? I think you should be very proud of the
    fact that you have decided to go in the first place, because that, in itself is
    a big step. Will you be able to take a mobile phone with you? That way
    you could phone people for support when you need it. Also, remember to
    eat enough so that you dont have excess stomach acid as this could make
    you feel ill. Bring books to read at night time if you feel a bit anxious, or a
    cd to listen to. But most importantly try and remember that this is
    something you can get out of. Be firm with people, and know that if you
    dont like a situation you can get out of it. Are your parents willing to pick
    you up if you want to go home? I guess feeling like you have escape
    routes is quite important. Lastly, try to remember that although you may
    feel like v* a lot of the time, ir hardly ever happens!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

I'm away for 2 weeks.

I'm not afraid of myself throwing up, only others. But besides, the camp that i'm going to is a spanish immersion, so we're not allowed to bring anything in english (like books or music). My grandparents live very close to the camp, though, so if I really needed to "escape" I potentially could.

wow. well done you (rosie) *hugs* I'm sure you'll be fine. that doesn't stop me thinking how brave you are. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

about the CD idea...could you get spanish music? cos at least then it's a distraction if and when you need it? Annnd I have a spanish charts CD and it has a few english songs. hehe.

I'm going away for a week in the summer and then the week after that to somewhere different with my mum and I'm terrified but I keep telling myself once I'm there I'll have fun. And if I do start to panic I'll just have to tell myself that theres nothing I can do cos I'm not near home so I may as well enjoy it while I can. I plan to take lots of distractions though.

Are you allowed to take your mobile phone? Annnd where is the camp?

You can also just keep in mind that if things do get bad you can go to your grandparents. I always find knowing theres a back up plan just incase helps.

xxx.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

I'm not brave... I wish I was.

Nope, I got my pasaporte in the mail and CDs (and cellies) are listed under contrabando. The camp is in Bemidji, Minnesota (U.S.) and its called El Lago del Bosque. I went last year, too, and I had the best time in my life, even though on the fourth day I got swimmer's ear and had to go to the doctor with this girl who had an ulcer and kept v*ing. It was so awful, being in the car and waiting room.

Anyhoo....Where are you going? Does your mum know that your feeling nervous, because I think that when I am anxious concerning my emet and I tellpeople (especially my parents) why I'm kind of freaking out, I end up feeling better and they try and understand what i'm going through and help me.

&lt;3 rosie