Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I've been sitting here with my husband talking about this phobia. He said something must have happened when I was a child to make me so afraid of vomitting. I just don't know what. All I remember is that when I was in third grade, we went to church. All of the classes did during the week. For the first time in church, I saw a boy throw-up in one of those bags. That's when something clicked in my brain and the anxiety set in. That's all I can remember. Maybe b/c I realized my mom won't be there with me all of the time? Even now when I don't feel well or I'm having a panic attack, I call my mom right away. Is it some kind of separation anxiety from mom when I'm not feeling well? Any thoughts?
    xoxo Mel xoxo

If you love something,
    set if free,
    If it comes back to you,
    it is yours.
    If it does not,
    it was
    never meant to be.

princessmel - I lost my mom at the age of 8, so I'm guessing that attributed to my emet. She had lupus and used to v* at the dinner table in a b* (don't like to say that word) and I would run out of the room. It was just terrible. Before that though, I remember when I was in nursery/elementary school and when another kid would get s*, I used to cry. I think it's something you're almost born with - FYI, my mom was a slight germaphobe (SP?), so I'm sure that didn't help. I agree that it's very comforting having a mother figure around when you are s*. I think that if my mother was alive right now, this wouldn't be so bad because I know that she can come to my rescue. I think you are right - mothers are just very comforting.

I remember when my phobia started. But still to this day I don't understand how or why it affected me so much. I truly believe that this phobia is just the way that whatever is wrong with me has chosen to surface. I really believe that my problem is something much deeper. It just becomes difficult because there is no logical culprit. Either way by coincidence or by design the feelings are the same. I don't think I will ever "get it". But I think that a lot of us, myself included are kind of looking in the wrongplace. Make any sense?
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

I'm not really on board with the idea that we're born with this, but if you feel that is how it happened for you, then maybe so.

Quote Originally Posted by chally
    princessmel - I lost my mom at the age of 8, so I'm guessing that attributed to my emet. She had lupus and used to v* at the dinner table in a b* (don't like to say that word) and I would run out of the room. It was just terrible. Before that though, I remember when I was in nursery/elementary school and when another kid would get s*, I used to cry. I think it's something you're almost born with - FYI, my mom was a slight germaphobe (SP?), so I'm sure that didn't help. I agree that it's very comforting having a mother figure around when you are s*. I think that if my mother was alive right now, this wouldn't be so bad because I know that she can come to my rescue. I think you are right - mothers are just very comforting.

I'm kinda half and half with the idea that it was something I was born with.
    My emet *became* emet if you like about 3 years ago when I was exposed to someone v* in the corridor at school At that point I realised that one day I might have to v* in public and it wasn't until then that I had a problem but even before then if my mum was ever ill I'l lay in bed crying cos I was scared. I've also always for as long as I remember checked sell by dates. And my whole family always thought it was strange that at such a young age I had to check the dates before I ate anything.

Maybe the 2 aren't connected and I was just worried for my mum. And I just...checked dates because I wanted to be safe but I'm not sure...

Another idea I had was that my dad has said he used to be an emet...to some extent and even though I didnt live with him long maybe I kinda picked up on it?

I just wish I knew.

<font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif\"><font size=\"1\">Courage doesn’t always roar sometimes it’s the little voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow’</font></font></font>

<DIV>I have no idea where my fear came from. I was brought up in care and so didn't have a stable family upbringing. I have hadCognitive Behaviour Therapy and have talked through my childhood three times and even though there were some really bad and scary times the therapists or myself have not made any connection. I have been to two hypnotherapists and about six psychologists. The day my phobia started was not a stressful day, nothing awful happened, I was enjoying myselfat the movies and just started to feel ill, nothing happened I was fine but have had my phobia eversince. I was 15 years old and I am now 45 years old.</DIV>

There's another thread either here or in Treatments that addresses this question
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks. i found it. It is in the Private forum. "How did we develope this phobia"

Wow Junglemonkey,

You and I really seem to have a lot of common issues. When I am feeling sick and am really afraid I have to pick up the phone and call her. I have done it a few times after midnight. After my bad night last night I called her before my husband when I woke up. She helps rationalize with me and calm me down. I AM 36 YEARS OLD!!!!! I will call her until I am in my 80s.

Murphy

Whoops. Sorry junglemonkey it wasnt your post this time but Princessmel. I apologize.

Murphy