Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: the shakes

do any of you shake a lot when something is feeling off? even if its relatively minor?

when my stomach is feeling off(not sick), or my bowels are off, or etc. etc...
    especially when im in bed at night.. i'll just start shaking horribly! like whole body shakes. an overall tightening.
    my mom used to get it too.. she went through a year of what she called a "bowel flareup"..and said it always went away after she went to the bathroom...

they'll go away eventually. but sometimes i can shake in bed for 15 minutes!
    is this part of some kind of panic? or is this stemming from something going on inside my body?

anyone anyone?

I get that too when I have IBS flare ups. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

so good to know!!
    im truly wondering what the heck it is...and why its happening.
    if you ever find out, let me know..

I get this too, i think its a part of anxiety or panic. I shake quite violently.

Oh yes, I know all about the shakes. It is related to the anxiety, and is a common symptom in most phobias or anxiety disorders.
    A special thank you to my daughter Alyssa. Your strength and courage gives me great inspiration. Where I am weak, you are strong. I will always love you.

WhenI was little I used to get "stomach aches" in the middle of the night that I now know were panic attacks. I would shake uncontrollably. I don't get them so much anymore unless I am really terrified of v*--like if one of my kids is s* or I know I am. The strange thing is my dad would say I was shaking because I needed protein or had low blood sugar and try to get me to eat cheese or drink orange juice [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]. Just what an emet wants to do in the middle of the night lol.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

I am actually experiencing "the shakes" right now. I just posted about how I've got the flu (sore throat, aches, earache, fever) and I'm terrified it will make me throw up.

The funny thing about the shakes, for me, is that I welcome them. If I am nauseated and I get the shakes, I chalk it up to anxiety and stop worrying about throwing up. If I'm nauseous and NOT shaking, then I freak out. Right now, however, I feel like its a combination of both because I've got the flu... I'm scared nausea is just part of it.

Anyway - the shakes are normal. Its part of anxiety. I do get shakes as well from hypoglycemia, which is when you're lacking in sugars and protein. Its a different kind of shake though.. its not violent. Its more like tremors.. and its not full body - its more hands, and legs. You would know the difference because you're starving at the same time. You WANT to eat. Panic attack = no desire for food.

Hope this helps.
    Lis

I usually shake during a panic attack or if I feel n* (which I panic anyway). My legs start shaking. I hate it because I know I am REALLY nervous and panicky. When I was little, my hands would tingle too. All nerves too.

When I'm really really afraid that it is inevitable that I will v*, i get VIOLENT shakes. When I'm just a little bit worked up, i will shake a little bit, or get random "spine shivers." Quite embarrassing sometimes, as my english teacher mentioned that he had had food poisoning, and i was sitting in the front row! I got random spasmy/shake things, and he asked me if I was okay because it looked like I was spazzing out or twitching uncontrollably!

&lt;3 Anya---
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I often got the shakes as a child, but don't very often anymore. I do actually feel better with the shakes because then I'm sure what I'm feeling is just nerves.

BandNerd

Sometimes if its the middle of the night and I have to go br #2 I will get the shakes horribly, like teeth chattering violent shakes, I don't know why but its like our gut system is attached to our "shakey" system lol! I also if say I sit up too fast then feel like passing out but don't, after I get real bad shakes...odd...maybe its a blood pressure thing or something.

That happens to me a few times - I'll wake up and my stomach will hurt and I'll start violently shaking. I noticed as well that this can also be the beginnings of an IBS attack.

i had the worst shakes last night. my stomach was bothering me and i was sooo overly exhausted but shaking so violently that i couldn't fall asleep. it's amazing how much your nerves can mess you up!
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Yea, when I am having an emet attack, I usually get the shivers and sometimes the shakes, with my teeth chattering and all sorts (though I didn't know there was a possible link to IBS - I will check with my Doc the next time I'm there).

My emet attacks usually happen at night, so I end up sitting up in bed, or in a chair, rugged up with blankets, sipping water and going to the loo as often as I can. I usually end up falling asleep, then wake up afew hours later, where I take myself back to bed until my alarm goes off and I grudgingly get up to face another day at the office! :-(

Yes, I'm not stranger to 'the shakes'! I even called them that way back before I knew I had emet. I used to get them quite frequently, and still do every so often when I'm having a bad panic attack...usually in bed. I'll just lie there, shaking violently, sometimes with my teeth chattering too. If it gets too bad I'll just put the light and the radio on, then get up and sip water until they stop!

I used to get them alot when I was younger if I didn't fall asleep before a certain time. I would associate not being able to sleep with v*ing in the night, and therefore, 'the shakes' would come to visit.

PS. While we're on the subject...how good does it feel when a panic attack/shaking subsides? Its such a huge relief when you start to feel good again, especially at night...you know nothing's wrong when the anxiety starts to lift. It's very soothing, I always find, to suddenly feel so relaxed, after sometimes hours of being on edge.
    \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars..\"

I get that a lot. I sit in bed and sometimes feel n* (could be imaginary) but then I look at my hands and see that I'm shaking violently.

Although I have to say, I've never shook as bad as I did for the past 3days (I've been v* and horribly sick for the first time since 2003 http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=7758&am p;PN=1)

I can't describe the feeling, but now I'm a little better on terms of handling my phobia (sorry for going out of topic) because I know exactly what feelings and sounds you get when you are going to v* or get extremely sick.

i dont shake often, thanks god.

i just shake when i must to go to dentist and he will operate me some tooth, i am scared of V at dentist!!!