Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My 16 month-old was sick this week. I got the dreaded call from the babysitter that he'd woken up from his nap hot and then had thrown up his lunch. I sent my husband to pick him up, even though I could have probably gotten there about 15 minutes earlier. I chose to pick up my almost 7 year-old daughter instead. And then I spent time beating myself up for being such a bad mother. But my hubby said to me, "some parents have issues with blood. you have issues with puke. you're allowed." he's a social worker and an incredible guy who really gets it. Then the baby threw up again - all liquid from his juice bottle - and then had 102 - 103 for the next day or so. My husband stayed home from work yesterday with him.

Last night he threw up his juice again, and then his fever broke almost immediately afterwards. He didn't sleep great for the first part of the night, but he woke up fine this morning, completely back to himself, and we call him the Tazmanian Devil, so it was kind of nice to have him want to snuggle while he was sick. He even snuggled into me in my bed and went back to sleep in the morning, whereas usually he's climbing either me, his daddy or the wall, or trying to dive head-first off our bed.

Also last night, my daughter woke up in the middle of the night saying she didn't feel well, that her throat felt funny, and then all of the sudden she started to completely panic and say she felt like throwing up, so my husband took her to the bathroom and nothing happened. This happened a few times over the next 30 minutes and then the gravol kicked in and she fell back to sleep, in our bed. And I stayed and slept right next to her. And when she asked, all scared, "what will happen if i throw up in your bed or on you?" I answered, "we'll clean up. don't worry about it." I comforted her, and I was mostly okay, too, even fell back to sleep.

Then she woke up fine today, ate, and thenI went to do errands and pick up her friend on the way home to bring her friend to our house. While I was in the friend's house, my husband called to say that she'd felt sick again, so we decided not to have the friend over. And my husband had a client visit, so I was on my own with the kids, which flipped me out initially because my daughter wasn't feeling well and the baby'd been sick for a couple of days. But after a few anxious minutes, I was okay and we had a nice time for the next four hours, even went for a walk/bike ride (she rode) in snowsuits because it was beautiful and sunny even though cold in Toronto today.

So this week has been trying, not to mention I started a new job. But I feel, for the most part, I've emerged victorious and stronger. I just wanted to share that with you. Thanks for being here always, and know that there is hope.
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

I'm so glad to hear that your tribulations turned to triumphs. Those are
    horrific things for an emetophobe to have to go through, but you've
    proven yourself to be quite strong. You let your daughter sleep in the
    same bed, for example.

What a great mother. And y'know, your husband's right: you're entitled to
    have an issue with something. Everyone has /some/ issue that bothers
    them more than others. This is just yours. That's basically what my
    boyfriend has been telling me.

Good for you, though! Stay strong. Your signature quote is quite true,
    indeed. [img]smileys/smilies_39.gif[/img]

YAY for you!!! You did great!! So you asked your husband to pick him up, big deal. When you got home, you snuggled with him and made him feel comforted. Good for you! And what you said to your daughter was awesome. Your kids must feel so safe and secure.

We have something in common; my husband is a social worker, too It's nice to have an understanding guy, isn't it?

And, by the way, I know people here are sick of me saying it, but any time my kids v* without d* or v* and complain of a sore throat, I have them checked for strep. My daughter had a fever and v* last Friday and was cultured. The rapid test came back negative, but the 48 hour culture was positive. Saturday morning she woke up feeling fine with no fever, no n* or v*, we even went to the movies! We sure were surprised to get the call from the lab on Sunday!!!
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Hey totally off topic, but im from burlington elizabeth

Paula..we took my son in on Friday and they said that they did not think he needed to be cultured since his throat was a little red splotchy, but not too bad and his tonsils looked fine and there were no white spots. The Dr. said his fever was not high enough to indicate strep either, but if he got worse or not better, bring him back in. New Dr., and I was a bit nervous still, but his fever was highest after he V*'d in the middle of the night and that was 101.0
    We got home from the Ped's office and he slept for 4 hours, woke up, no fever, no Motrin for 24 hours and seemed fine. She thought it was totally like a drainage type virus thing since one ear was a little red, and one eye was a bit red, but nothing too bad to indicate any drugs needed.

My question to you is, would the strep be possible if his fever was never high and he never said his throat was that sore. He said it hurt a little, but not too bad.
    TRY to live each day like it were your last

You know, all I can answer about is how my kids are when they have strep. My daughter only had a 99.4 degree fever when she had it. Zach's was up to 102, but he had the croup on top of it. Just with my kids, they rarely have v* without d* without it being strep. But you say that your son also v* when he coughs a lot, andhe seems more sensitive than others. When I was in high school, I used to babysit a little girl who v* every time she had an ear infection, so her mom would always know that was her deal. What makes kids v* is different for every kid.

We've just had strep soooo many times in our family, I almost always ask for it when the kids have fevers and/or v* with no other symptoms. I'd say maybe only 1 out of every 4 times any of them have had it they've complained of a sore throat. And yes, my boys have had their tonsils out. My daughter still has hers, but she only gets it once a year--and at least one of the boys gets it when she does even though they've had them out. Ditto for my husband! He still gets it without his tonsils--and I've never had it and I still have mine!

After all this rambling (LOL) I guess red flags go up for me as far as strep any time I hear of unexplained fevers or v*.
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>