Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: am i wrong?

I babysit for three little kids (ages 8, 6 and 3) usually every other Sunday and sometimes during the week. I was supposed to babysit today, so their mom calls meyesterday afternoonto confirm everything and she says, 'well colleen is just getting over a virus, she hasn't thrown up since yesterday, and i'll leave some children's pepto incase any of the kids feel sick'. Don't little kids usually ALWAYS get a sv* if their siblings had it? I know I always used to when my sister was sick and vice versa. Needless to say, I told her I had plans! I didn't feel bad about doing it because I have never once cancelled on her, and I don't think she should be leaving her kids with a babysitter when there is a sv* going around her house! I'm starting to feel kind of guilty about it, I should just get over it but I really didn't want to be exposed to another sv* this winter and I would not know what to do if one of them got sick! Is this wrong?![img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Kristina

\"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

I don't think it's a matter of right and wrong. In the end you are the only one who has to be okay with your decision. It is what it is. I would like to clear up one myth. I have never experienced (personally) a virus to go through a family like we tend to think always happens. When I was growing up, this NEVER ONCE happened in my house. I shared a room with my sister and sometimes even a bed and I do remember she or Ior my brother being sick, but never did we share it. So, get that pre conceived notion out of your mind now and you will be better off in the future.

As far as your decision. I would not at all want to babysit a kid who had just been sick, so you don't have to worry about feeling bad about it. She will hopefully manage to find someone else and everything will turn out okay. I am venturing to think, since you are emet, that you would more than likely worry too much about "what if i got this from them" over the next week and I doubt all of that worry is worth this one time of bailing out on her. Things happen.

I do remember, however, when I was younger and would babysit. Parents seem to leave their kids sick often. I guess the world doesn't always stop for people just because their kids are sick. I would guess it's pretty common, so don't hold that against her.
    \"This too shall pass\"

no i dont think you were wrong, at long as you were really nice and apologetic and gave the mother a good reason why you suddenly couldn't come. personally, i dont think a parent should leave their child with a babysitter if they are sick. its not fair and inconsiderate...so i think that you did the right thing

-hayley XOX

I don't think you were wrong either. People should realize that others don't want to be exposed to a sv or any other kind of sickness. They should stay home with their kids if they are not feeling well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your responses! I was very apologetic when I told her I was not able to babysit. She just called me about a half hour ago and asked me about tomorrow night and I said I would do it, and then she called me back ten minutes later and said she would let me know because her son is complaining about his stomach. So, I guess it's a good thing I didn't go! Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow! Thanks again
    \"if you can\'t laugh at yourself, life\'s gonna seem a whole lot longer than you\'d like\"- garden state

Quote Originally Posted by hayleyw

no i dont think you were wrong, at long as you were really nice and apologetic and gave the mother a good reason why you suddenly couldn't come. personally, i dont think a parent should leave their child with a babysitter if they are sick. its not fair and inconsiderate...so i think that you did the right thing

-hayley XOX

Well, what if the babysitter is okay with it? Like Shiva mentioned, the world doesn't stop because a person's child is sick. Sometimes they are able to stay home with them- other times they are not. There is work, family commitments, weddings, funerals, etc. etc. Yes, it isn't necessarily fair- but life, in general, isn't fair- it if was it would come with a pause button!

I have no problem with a parent leaving a sick kid witha babysitter- if the babysitter knows the child is sick and doesn't mind. When I was sick and my parents had a previous engagement,I would be left with a babysitter and there were never any problems. I didn't feel abandoned in any way, and the babysitters they hired (often family members) didn't mind caring for a sick child.

I think it's less of a question of "how dare you not stay home and care for your sick child" (unless the child has some serious health issues), but rather Blondie not feeling comfortable babysitting children who were recently ill, or may still be, which is completely her prerogative as the kids aren't hers.

*amber*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

About SVs going through the family...I would like to say that ALWAYS happened with my sisters. My one sister would get something and then my other sister would ALWAYS get it afterwards. The only reason I never got anything was because I wouldn't be anywhere NEAR them when they were V* I hid out in my room and in the basement...I would barely even talk to them and I wouldn't use the same bathroom they had been V*ing in either. In any case my sisters ALWAYS passed viruses off to each other. I was just a germ phobic person so I would keep away from the sick ones.

Anyway, I don't think you were wrong for canceling, I would have probably done the same thing. Although I don't think it's WRONG to leave a sick kid with a sitter (My parents did that to me once when I was little) and it was fine because I was really close to the people who were sitting me. But I completely understand your motives and I wouldn't feel bad about it if I were you.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

It is your personal preference. Like people are saying, if a babysitter doesn't mind caring for sick kids, then that's ok, but if you prefer not to, then I think your decision should be respected. I would've done the same thing as you[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

I don't necessarily think she was wrong for wanting to leave the kids with me, she was confident in the fact that her daughter was feeling better, and obviously she doesn't know about my phobia so she probably didn't think it was a big deal. I considered going if she had something very important to do and couldn't find someone else to watch the kids (she goes to the mall every other sunday and gets her nails done), which is obviously important to her because she's getting a break and relaxing,I just didn't feel I should risk having a miserable week and spending the next few days worrying.Anyway, her son got sick now (v* and d*!!) so I am soooo thankful that I didn't go. Phew!

Always remember, you are a woman.. with awesome intuition.. You knew that you should not go.. and see, you were right!
    \"This too shall pass\"

No, you are not wrong, she should stay home with her kids if theres a chance they could get ill and not leave them with a sitter. I would have said no to and lied and said I had plans. Don't feel guilty we can't help the way we feel. Kim