Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Going Away

Hey

Well I'm going away next week for 6 days. From the 19th-25th. This is my first trip away from home for so long alone. I have been away for 2 nights before but not for a week. I have managed a trip to Scotland for a week but that was with my mum who helps with my Emet. This time I will be travelling on my own. The Woman I am going to visit knows about every aspect of my anxiety, and has seen me panic before so I am not as terrified as I normally would be. But I am still pretty scared sometimes.

I know I can do it, Seeing her means everything. And it will be so much fun. But I am so scared of waking up or panicking away from home. I can already tell I am anxious because I keep feeling sick for no physical reason.

Please I need reassurance and tips and anything you can offer to help me cope with this week away. I am pretty sure I can do it, its just this whole thing means the world to me and I cant screw it up!

x
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

you wont screw it up as long as u keep telling urself u wont ...

is there ne reason for u to v* whilst up there? no.. so wen u panic just say to urself " no, emet, ur not doing this to me, because im not ill, and therefore, ur being illogical"... hopefully then, that might trigger urlogical mind to just calm urself down nd ull b ok.

u may find, if this friend knows evrything aspect of ur anxiety.. jsut being with her will calm u down SO MUCH, u dont even think about it !! (mayb!!)

i know how anxious u mustbe feeling, cos i'd be the same ... but just think of how much fun ur gnna have ... maybe try and turn u feeling physically sick from anxiety into feeling physically sick from excitement!!... tell urself ur just excited.. and maybe it wil help..

i swear sumtimes, im only anxious because im telling myself i SHUD be... which is rather silleh... bt nvm.

anyway, i hope u have a gr8 time away and it all works out for you !!!

Jen xxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hippy, you seem like a really stable person to me. I say that first cuz it means I think you can handle it just fine. But what you might want to try is an almost reversal of everything we've been taught and talk about here. Before you go, next time you're thinking about the trip and get anxious/sick feeling instead of calming yourself down and talking yourself out of it - just try to make it as bad as possible. Say stuff to yourself like "O my God I'm gonna be sick right now!!!...etc. etc.) and then JUST SEE if your anxiety gets any worse or not.

I have found lately that when I do this, I actually get calmer. Cuz I don't get any more anxious at all! I DON'T feel sicker. I can't even MAKE MYSELF feel sicker if I try. So I get incredibly calm cuz it's like - hey - that's as bad as it gets.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone. Unless you've spent some good time in therapy or on self-relaxation and positive self-talk stuff that works, this method may actually make you overwhelmed.

But Hippy - either way you'll be ok. Either a) you can cope with the positive self-talk and relaxation or b) you can cope by entering fully into it and realizing there's nothing to fear. You'll be fine!

I hope you have a really great time.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Hippy,

You will be fine! Just think, you will be spending time with a friend who knows all about your anxiety and who will completely understand your needs, so no need to worry there. You won't have a problem anyway.

Go, have a great time and enjoy your time with your friend.

Give Sage's advice a try. YOU CAN DO IT!
    </font>
    Debbie