Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: OT: School

<DIV id=post_message_4094532>When I first came to my school in year seven, quite a few of my teachers already knew my sister and talked about her all of the time to me- how good a student she was etc... All of you with siblings in the same school as you will know that while this is annoying, it is just about bearable. Unfortunately, the one subject my sister wasn't very good in was PE..and the PE department were very familiar with her lack of enthusiasm for the subject. So when they found out who my sister was they just expected me to hate PE.

The thing is, I really like PE and wish to become a PE teacher when I'm older. So when I turned up to netball club, the teacher who ran it (also my head of year) was amazed. Needless to say, before even seeing me play she refused to put me on the team, and throughout the whole three years of me going, I never once got on the team :P She also instantly put me in the bottom group.

The one thing I could feel good about with regards to PE was football. This was because none of the PE department ran it, in fact a maths teacher did. When I went I wasn't seen as my sister's "younger sister", I could just play and not worry about what they were thinking. The PE department never focused on football, until this year, when a new teacher joined us and instantly became the head of department. She found out that we were interested in getting some matches and got us affiliated. She even asked me to get a team together and made me captain.

Anyway, I felt like this was finally my opportunity to prove myself, because I found something in PE I didn't feel inadequate in. So when my PE teacher came to me the other day and told me that there was a mtch on Wednesday I was really pleased, because it felt good to finally be on the team..etc... until I found out it clashes with my Geography field trip. Of course I have to go on the trip because it's for the GCSE coursework, but I thought maybe I could get to the school we're playing against in time. I was just about to explain this to my PE teacher, but all she heard was: "I'm going on a Geography trip". She took the letter she just gave to me out of my hand and said: "Well that's that then". I tried to explain that my teacher said they would drop me off on the way back but she wasn't listening and just shut the door in my face...

Anyway, I'm just worried that the one opportunity I had to prove I'm not entirely worthless is down the pan. The look she gave me when I said I couldn't come.. and what made it worse was that all of the other PE teachers- including my head of year, were there too. And they all gave me the same look, like why was I making such a big deal out of possibly getting back, they'd just find someone else.</DIV>
    <font size=\"3\"><center> Help put us emets on the map-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </font></center>

hey, i often felt like you at school. I was never noticed at school because I wasn't a 'netball player'. The only time I really got noticed was doing the GCSE and A level because my theory work was excellent.

The way they have treated you sounds a bit harsh to me. Im not trying toe defend them as I think they have been a bit out of order but i know in the department i work in its always completely manic and sometimes people do tend to think 'aaaarrrggghhhh that now means we are potentially one player down' rather than thinking about it objectively and listening to reason.

Don't let this discourage you from achieving your dreams. I never really shone out from the others in my class at the practical side of PE but i teach it now. Just keep being as entusiastic and dedicated as your are now.

Thanks

I didn't want to disappoint them, and I was even just about to suggest that it was possible I could meet them at the school we're playing at, rather than at my school. But she didn't really even sound like she was annoyed there weren't enough people. If anything it sounded like the opposite- because she instantly said: "Well that's that then." and took back the letter.

I really wanted to go, but the trip is really important, and I don't know what they'd say if I told them I was missing the trip which our coursework is based on for a football match :P

Augh, I just feel kind of stupid- the way they were looking at me like I almost did it deliberately..
    <font size=\"3\"><center> Help put us emets on the map-
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    </font></center>