Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This is completely off the topic of emet, but I was curious to get your feelings on the recent SD governor who signed an anti abortion law today. This is the link for the report.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/US/Abortion_Rights_Debate

Personally, I disagree with this. It doesn't even give an exception to rape and incest.

I look forward to your opinions.

I hope this doesn't get ugly, and if it should, I apologize in advance.Edited by: babygap5
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

I disagree too as I am pro-choice, but it is such a controversial topic because it is so personal. I just don't think our country is ever going to have any sort of agreement on this issue.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Although I really don't think abortion is something I could do myself, I think in some cases women should have that choice. Under special circumstances, I just wonder why more of these people don't consider adoption. I think banning it can only lead to problems. On a side note, why is it always the men trying to ban these things?

I think that's it just another way for the "Man" to take control of the "woman." The government should just let people make there own decisions and they need to stop butting into our lives like this. I don't know if I could have an abortion, but if I wasn't financially able to carry the baby and get the proper medical care during the pregnancy, then it would be nice to have another option.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Absolutely agree. The government has no absolutely NO business in my bedroom, my religion, my doctor's office or anything like that. This is a passionate topic for me, and I really hope this thread doesn't escalate like similar ones have done in the past.I resent peopleconcluding that since I'm pro-choice, that I'm pro-abortion. That is such an ignorant arguement.

I do believe that there should be limits, and I don't agree with partial birth abortion at all. A law such as this is going to backfire, and young women will simply look for other means to end their pregnancy. I wonder if this also affects the "morning after pill".....

I have never been pregnant, or had a scare, so I cannot even attempt to put myself in the shoes of someone who has gone thru this situation. I don't think I would personally have an abortion, but for there to be a law as to whether or not I have to continue a pregnancy andendure changes to MY body,that perhaps started by a rape, what torture, and then for the child to find out that they were concieved in that way.... what a horrible thing for anyone to have to deal with. Life is hard enough.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I used to be pro-life but then I put myself in the other peoples shoes. I mean if I was pregnant and couldn't carry the baby to term for adoption I would get an abortion. Actually I'm more against adoption then abortion. I know everyone out there is thinking "WTF is WRONG with you?" but I have a reason. I was adopted into a family that was just RIFE with abuse. Emotional abuse and physical abuse...need I say more? Anyway I think with adoption you can at least SCREEN the parents, my parents were screened but look at how I turned out. I"m an emotional wreck because of my parents. They went through rigorous tests and viewings but they were never meant to be parents. They even told me once that it was a mistake to adopt me.

Anyway I'm getting off on a tangent. I am pro-choice because a woman has any right to do what she wants with her body. I don't know if I could ever have an abortion but I know people who have and their lives are better because of it. No one should be able to tell you what to do, it's your choice. End of story.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

OMG, I'm so sorry that you were actually told that it was a mistake to adopt you. Those are the kinds of kids that I want to adopt and I want to smother them with love. No one should be made to think that. That makes me so sad, like I want to cry. Your parentsare meant to bethe foundation of your life, not the cause of a sad life.[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I am pro choice...but, only if women are informed of consequence, risks (mental, physical etc)

I had an abortion at seventeen, I didn't fully understand it, what the
    procedure would be like, what I would feel like afterwards etc. No one
    explained anything to me, I was basically pressured into it, and so it
    was done. I will never regret doing something so much in my whole life
    as what I did that day, I think about it and regret it everyday. If I
    had only known the impact it would have on my life, there is no way in
    hell I would have walked into that place.

Women need to be informed. If they are, then they can make a responsible choice.

I only wish I had been.

JAMIE DAWN

I think good for this guy for standing up for what is right. I really believe that abortion is murder. I think if it's an accidental pregnancy resulting from consensual sex, then it's the fault of the two involved and they shouldn't have this violent option to get out of the messthatthey caused themselves. Rape and abortion is an interesting one; I'm not even going to try to argue it, but I think all abortion is wrong.

Thanks for posting the link and for the stimulating discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mjewell
    I just don't think our country is ever going to have any sort of agreement on this issue.

I totally agree. There is so much controversy...

I personally disagree with this too. I am pro-life but I feel that a woman and man should have a choice. If not, there will be many "back alley" abortions. UGH!

Jamie, I am so sorry that it happened like that for you. I totally agree, a woman should be fully informed and aware of what she is doing.

I don't agree with abortion in most cases, but I think if the woman was raped/incest, or if she is not fit to have a child and it endangers her physically or emotionally (as in she isn't capable of raising the child), then I'm not against it in those cases.

I don't think its right though for the govenor to make the choice for the women who get in these situacions like that by saying "no abortion whatsoever". Edited by: Galadriel

I hope the Supreme Court overturns the law.
    Edited by: chicajojobe

Interesting concept here, anyone ever heard of it?

http://www.democratsforlife.org/inde...on=com_content &task=view&id=48&Itemid=45

I think it's easy to say you are pro-life, but will making abortion illegal really reduce the abortion rate? I find it ironic that abortions go up under "pro-life" administrations and down under "pro-choice" administrations. What our country needs is a plan to offer help and alternatives to desperate women rather than making them criminals.

Well, I opened my can of worms...
    <font color=BLUE>~Paula~</font>

Quote Originally Posted by pianolover

I think good for this guy for standing up for what is right. I really believe that abortion is murder. I think if it's an accidental pregnancy resulting from consensual sex, then it's the fault of the two involved and they shouldn't have this violent option to get out of the messthatthey caused themselves. Rape and abortion is an interesting one; I'm not even going to try to argue it, but I think all abortion is wrong.

There is one thing to believe that abortion isn't right- which is completely your choice. There are ways to constructively support this choice, such as volunteering for or making donations to organizations which offer alternatives to women who are thinking of abortion. Or not making this choice yourself if you ever end up in that position. (interesting side-note; there is a significant portion of people who choose abortion who are in committed relationships and even married- they just don't feel it is right to bring another child into the world at the moment).

I think it is wrong for someone to imposeTHEIR ideas of what constitutes right and wrong onto others via legislation. And the belief that because it's illegal itis less likely tohappen- that people will become more vigilant in their birth control, that rapists will magically start using protection, or that all protection will magically become fool-proof- is just erroneous. Do we need to provide a visual of the coat-hanger era? Or have pregnant, scared women who have just made a very difficult decision go a state over for an abortion?

I, personally, would rather see a woman have an abortion than bring a child into the world that she doesn't necessarily want, and is ill-equipped to deal with, both financially and emotionally. Yes, there is always adoption, but I know personally I would be more able to have an abortion than give up a child for adoption, especially if I have carried it to term and seen it after being born. I would constantly wonder if she/she was happy, what they were doing, and if they resented me for my decision. That, and once it was born and I saw her/him the odds are that I would have changed my decision, which often happens (but then a few weeks later the reality of being a parent sets in, and not all of these women are able to adapt).

Yes, in an ideal world people would always take the proper precautions, or abstain if they aren't able to deal with the consequences- but realistically that isn't going to happen. I think that women should be allowed to choose what happens to their body, as in the end it is her and her alone who deals with the consequences either way.

*amber*

Here's what I think: I think abortions should be legal, BUT regulated somehow. The right reasons to have one would be: deformed baby, abusive mother, drug-addicted mother, rape. Wrong reasons: As a "quick fix" for irresponsible sex, an abortion after 12 weeks gestation.

Also, this may cause controversy, but I think that the father of the baby should have some rights as well. Menoften get screwed in family law situations! Women say, "It's MY body", granted, it is, but it was also HER body when she permitted a man to have sex with her. So, he can have sex with her, that's ok, but if a baby is conceived by BOTH of them, suddenly it's only HER body?? That is pure selfishness. Like with any bad decision, we have to face the consequence. Well, by getting pregnant (carelessly or accidently), the consequence should be to carry the baby to term if the father wants custody of the baby. I think he should definitely have a say-so in the decision.
    ~*~Charlene~*~

*Phew* its a difficult one this isn't it, as it has been said before it is a personal choice. I am pro choice and have been through an abortion myself when i was younger, ihad to have it as the medication i was on at the time would have seriously damaged the baby and i made the decision based on the fact the quality of life my child would have had, not what i truly wanted. It was the hardest thing i have ever had to do and also the most traumatic experience i've ever had as i was fully awake and had no pain relief (well 2 paracetamol afterwards, big deal) Even thinking about it now, i just want to cry.To make matters worse, even though i was referred to the clinic by my doctor (those in the UKshould know the name Marie Stopes) they botched the job and i was rushed into hospital 4 weeks after as i haemorraged, which really prolonged the process for me.

After all this i am still pro choice but itotally disagree with the fact it is used by some women as birth control. I am desperate to have children now after putting it off for so many years due to my emet and even though i don't think i could ever go through an abortion again, i would still like to be in the position to be able to choose. I don't think that right should be taken away.

Trinity

My mum gave birth to me, i was put into care because my mum was in a mental hospital. She never had me back and died a few years later. I was brought up in foster homes and later childrens homes. I never belonged to anyone and have never known family life. Just before i left care i found i had this phobia. I am married but have no other friends as i didn't go to school in this town. My life is dull mainly due to emetophobia. I don't feel like i live a life more that i exist in this life. Not every baby or child got put up for adoption in the sixties. Am i glad i'm alive, no i'm not. This might sound bad but i am just telling it from the heart as i do have a sense of humour and fun and am always smiling. This site is the only place that i would say this.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagirl

Like with any bad decision, we have to face the consequence. Well, by getting pregnant (carelessly or accidently), the consequence should be to carry the baby to term if the father wants custody of the baby.

Wow, that is a valid statement and one I've never heard talked about before, and never thought of either, but choice is choice, and it's only right to consider the father's choice. Thanks for bringing that up, it has got me thinking.

Amber, thanks for saying exactly what I couldn't describe! Perfect!

Cloughie, I'm so sad for your story, and still trying to digest what you wrote.... but thank you for sharing because it illustrates that makinglaws like thisand thus making women carry out theirpregnancies doesn't result in perfection as the people creating these laws would like to believe.

I think laws like this are just going to create more harm and resentment and hate. I have a whole bunch of thoughts on related topics, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

I even hesitate to chime in on this one, but no one else has mentioned it from this viewpoint.

I have always considered myself pro-choice. I think in certain situations, abortion should be considered. I have had to defend this to my husband and many family members.

Now that I know my husband and I are completely infertile and will most likely NEVER have a child of our own, I have thought more about my views on abortion. I think of all of the babies out there that are aborted when there are so many couples who would LOVE to have those babies. I don't believe that adoption is the right choice for me necessarily, but I know there are many who would do anything to adopt an unwanted child.

Although I am grieving what I will probably never have, I still consider myself pro-choice. But, I can see the viewpoint of someone who is pro-life better now.

I just want everyone to hear these words spoken from someone who will most likely never get to be a mother!

Jess

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

2jo2 ~~~

Thank you for the support!![img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]</TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Quote Originally Posted by jesskali
    I even hesitate to chime in on this one, but no one else has mentioned it from this viewpoint.

I have always considered myself pro-choice. I think in certain situations, abortion should be considered. I have had to defend this to my husband and many family members.

Now that I know my husband and I are completely infertile and will most likely NEVER have a child of our own, I have thought more about my views on abortion. I think of all of the babies out there that are aborted when there are so many couples who would LOVE to have those babies. I don't believe that adoption is the right choice for me necessarily, but I know there are many who would do anything to adopt an unwanted child.

Although I am grieving what I will probably never have, I still consider myself pro-choice. But, I can see the viewpoint of someone who is pro-life better now.

I just want everyone to hear these words spoken from someone who will most likely never get to be a mother!

Jess

Hi Jess - I am so sorry to hear that, but stranger things have happened. Don't give up

It's true that there are a lot of couples who would give anything to adopt, but I don't think there are a lack ofadoptable children in the world, that's fur sure. It seems like if anything, the adoption process is just too long and difficult for many people.
    \"Napoleon, you\'re just jealous because I\'ve been talking to babes online all day.\" ~ Kip

Agreed, if they made the adoption process easier and less costly, perhaps adoption would be amore attractive option to more people.