Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi guys. I'm yet another emet that wasn't sure if Iwas paranoid, then found out about the phobia. My parents aren't the most supportive being step-parents, they said "stop being such a coward, you're a growing man" when I was sick and only 14. Girls can get a away with it. Anyway here's what happened. Be warned, it's a long story (and I mean it!)

WARNING: GRAPHIC

I remember eating infected warm chicken nuggets from Mcdonalds one evening, unaware of the salmonella-bacteria it may have been harbouring after being reheated 4 times. I'm disappointed my 25 year old friend failed to notice it too, yet his immune system stronger than mine, he failed to suffer.

I went to bed at 1am, waking up just 6 hours later at 7am, feeling like CRAP! I sat up, had this "damn" feeling and headed off to the can. After realizing I had the most horriffic waterfall diarrhoea I've ever had (actually, see the end of this thread) I burped and recognized a familier, horrible sulphur taste (Hasn't anyone else ever gotten that horrible taste when burping+ sick?). After 10 minutes, I was lying down on the couch feeling like crap, not so much hindered by the fact I had to vomit. I sneezed chunks into a bowl and panic swept through me like someone tipping a bucket of water on me. I went ballistic, running outside and collapsing on the grass while my friends mother bought some tissues out for me to wipe my mouth with. I v****d a couple more times before my mother came to get me.

Somehow, I made the 4 minute drive home without vomiting, then hopped out of the car and stumbled up the hallway of my massive house, heading for my bedroom rather than bathroom. I lay down on my bed, feeling horrible. After a minute, I had the runs again, it lasted all day, every 5 minutes, I would have to "waterfall". Another 10 minutes later I found a large white plastic bucket and sat in my room, half-sobbing/crying and somewhat shaky, retching and spewing endlessly.

I remember my parents telling me to keep the noise down (vomiting) they said if they heard the vomit hitting the bucket again, they would put me outside. Right that moment, I hurled once again, which set my stepdads temper off. He went ballistic and screamed at me to get outside.

I sat outside with a bucket, still sobbing, feeling cowardly till the girl over the fence (Amy) looked over curiously. (How odd, she turned out to be an emet too, and is now my girlfriend). She was shocked and asked if I was ok, jumping over. We had known each other for a while as friends over the fence. She put a hand on my shoulder and said I had to "be strong". I remember going on about how wussy I must've seemed. The day slowly passed. By 5pm that night, the puking had stopped (the cramps and diarrhea hadn't, salmonella lasts a week and ahalf).

Amy stayed with me for that night, she was actually going off at my parents about making me sit in the yard and stuff, they just shrugged and pissed off to the club. I spent the night breathing deeply and enduring cramps. For the week, Amy would duck over after school to check on me as if magnetically attracted. I remember shaking and praying to God, pleading for me not to have to puke. I didn't have to, which was good. I soon recovered without antibiotics. What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger right?

Yes it did, since then, I've eaten carnival food and cafeteria food without getting sick (well, getting a sickness that causes hurling, but I've still become ill) and seriously don't care about getting flu or anything, as long as there's no hurling.

3 months later, I stopped in to see Amy and was greeted by her parents, saying she was sick. They knew she had tried to look after me so now it was my turn, I told them I had to see her and check up on her, to which they agreed, being nice people. I walked into her room, seeing her cuddling a Sonic plush doll to her chest, shaking violently, her pajama pants wetand crying, next to a bucket. The image has been burned into my mind

Wow, well written and catchy!!!!! I am so sorry you had to endure that abuse when you were sick, and a child!! You and Amy sound wonderful, and I hope you two have a long, v* free life together[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    ~*~Charlene~*~

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'm so happy you both have found each other and know what the other person goes through everyday with this phobia. You are both so lucky!! Also, thanks for posting the warning signs, I didn't know about the jaw expanding. That is very interesting. Hope to see more of you guys here!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Jay and Amy!

That is so sweet that you two helped eachother out through those tough times. Jay that is just horrible how your parents treated you, banishing you to the yard. I am glad though you have Amy and you also have us to talk/vent/ect. about this emet. It does help to talk to someone who understands and to know you aren't alone.

It doesn't matter if you are male or female, fear is fear and it is horrible for anyone. I am sorry they treated you like that telling you to "grow up" and such. I've also been treated pretty callously for this emet. I can see how for a guy people would think you need to "buck up" and such, but girls get this treatment too sometimes.

I am glad you found us here, and that you have Amy. Welcome! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Oh my what an awesome story!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for that...I am very sad that your parents treated that way as a child...even when you were sick...that is just horrible. I am so happy you have found your true love and that you were able to be there for each other when you were sick.....(sounds like a bad experience you both went through). I commend you for being so brave to face your fears and get through it. You did survive something horrible and for that you should be so proud. I am glad to read about the warning signs..all though of course it brings up some anxiousness...but then again...what doesn't? So thank you for that. I hope that you and Amy will be happy together for a very long time, and V free forever Thanks again for sharing your story...please feel free to post anytime, and just pop in and say hello.[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Kate
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

\"I Wish I Was Still In Aruba\"

I cant add anything else than whats already been said, your story is great and Im soooo glad you found each other. If only more of us had the sort of support and understanding from our partners Im sure we wouldnt stress soooo bad!! Dont get me wrong, my hubby knows and is supportive but only up to a point as he doesnt have the same fear (strangely enuff he has a phobia about dog poop, which I get but it doesnt really affect us, you know!!!!)

I also liked the points to look out for, that was interesting.

Laney [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

JAY-ROUGH,

i have a question since you've studied this stuff...

i came down with something about 19 hours after eating the supposed contaminant at a wedding. it was a very balmy summer afternoon. outside wedding. food sitting out in sun. butters. pasta salad. etc.and it came from a location already around 2 hours away!..

sincei never had stool tests done. or blood tests done when i was actually ill (only after).. i never really truly found out what it was.

i didnt have any v'ing. but the whole thing came on very suddenly. i immediately just started having d*.. andn*, and general upsetness in my belly.
    i was very fatigued. i couldnt really get off the couch and couldnt really eat for about 10-12 days. all the symptoms lasted that long. (not to mention completelywhacked up my bowels for the months after this event!)

does that sound like food poisoning?
    i know that some kind of food poisoning organisms dont actually require v'ing.

any light to shed?

That sounds like salmonella poisening to me...

Quote Originally Posted by liz28
    JAY-ROUGH,

i have a question since you've studied this stuff...

i came down with something about 19 hours after eating the supposed contaminant at a wedding. it was a very balmy summer afternoon. outside wedding. food sitting out in sun. butters. pasta salad. etc.and it came from a location already around 2 hours away!..

sincei never had stool tests done. or blood tests done when i was actually ill (only after).. i never really truly found out what it was.

i didnt have any v'ing. but the whole thing came on very suddenly. i immediately just started having d*.. andn*, and general upsetness in my belly.
    i was very fatigued. i couldnt really get off the couch and couldnt really eat for about 10-12 days. all the symptoms lasted that long. (not to mention completelywhacked up my bowels for the months after this event!)

does that sound like food poisoning?
    i know that some kind of food poisoning organisms dont actually require v'ing.

any light to shed?

Did anyone else at the wedding get sick like you did?
    I\'m always a shade of purple...
    FACEBOOK ME --

I have studied miscellaneous bacteria infections such as Salmonella, Shigellosis, etc. It is quite possible that if any chicken/meat foods were left on the table in the warmth of the afternoon, it allowed sufficient growth for bacteria. Some people may have felt a little ill and not suffered d* or v* because some people a have really iron immune systems, whilst some succumb to simple amounts of bacteria. Salmonella and Shigella, which are the two most common, do not always cause v*, generally in kids/teenagers and old people, it does but the healthy adult does generally not get it. After all, it has been about 10 hours after, therefore most of the food has been digested and well on its way through the intestine.

So yes, it was possibly Salmonellosis. I doubt it was Shigellosis as that causes blood and mucus in the feces.

Also thanks for the feedback everyone, I'm going to get Amy to register soon when she gets her new comp.

Also, my parents weren't trying to do it to be rude, I can see that in all fairness of our small house, the smell of V* and sound of liquid hitting a bucket in the next room may not be too pleasant. I did enjoy a bit of fresh air more than sitting cramped up in a hot room so maybe it was a little better, and if I had never went outside, Amy would never have known I was emet too.

19 hours you say? You held it off for quite a while. Food poisoning generally causes v* if it infects the person in the first 6-10 hours or so, regardless of age (as I mentioned in the above post). Even if you have recovered from the infection, you may still be able to determine it by having a stool test. Salmonella bacteria can continue to live in the bowel. Although it's generally the typhi strain (AKA Salmonella Typhoid, Typhoid fever) that causes a person to becoome either a convolesant / healthy carrier, there are many strains.

Salmonella is common, and you are lucky it was only that, I find it also fortunate that your immune system was able to hold it off long enough to not let you v*. It could have been something much much worse such as Botulism (Comes from punctured cans) or Shigellosis (Causes blood and heavy mucus to be excreted. Can also cause the passing of intestinal membrane which hurts).

May the rest of your life be as sick-free as possible.

Wow that's awesome, you could make a movie showing this seriously lol[img]smileys/smilies_16.gif[/img]it was so touching. 2 emetophobes together is justcrazybeautiful[img]smileys/smilies_46.gif[/img] Edited by: bigemet

I'm so glad you and your girlfriend found each other, and have been such a source of support to each other! That's a really sweet story.